Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bush okays flushing Koran

Bush okays flushing Koran
SVass
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 06:10 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4525941.stm

After landing on a carrier and saying "mission accomplished", he added, " I'll get those terrorists", George Bush authorized mental stress on "illegal combatants" which includes desecrating their religious book. He finished the week by running away from an enemy Cessna that originally attacked Cary Grant in "North by Northwest". My hero. sam

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2005, 07:27 PM

Newsweek used an anonymous source for that allegation of flushing the Qur'an at gitmo. That way, they can say whatever nonsense hatred they wish without having a source we can verify.

The State Department issued a response saying that something like that could not happen, regardless of whether it's the Qur'an, Bible, or any other religious document.

And how the heck do you flush a thick book anyway? The plumbing would plug up first.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
And how the heck do you flush a thick book anyway? The plumbing would plug up first.
Heh, I was wondering that too. But even if they did, so what?

idjeff
Senior User
May 11, 2005, 07:30 PM

Funny, I so no mention of Bush in that article...

So, nothing to see here...move along

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

bubblewrap
Senior User
May 11, 2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by SVass
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4525941.stm

After landing on a carrier and saying "mission accomplished", he added, " I'll get those terrorists", George Bush authorized mental stress on "illegal combatants" which includes desecrating their religious book. He finished the week by running away from an enemy Cessna that originally attacked Cary Grant in "North by Northwest". My hero. sam

The plane in North by Northwest wasn't a Cessna.
It's a Boeing Stearman PT-17 Kaydet.
And in 1959 Cessna's didn;t have back windows.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2005, 08:46 PM

nevermind

PacHead
Baninated
May 11, 2005, 09:48 PM

Mr Dost also said inmates' beards were shaved and the prisoners were shouted at during interrogations.

Oh, the horror. They were shouted at, and shown some simple hygiene. Remember john walker lindh ? He looked like some kind of wolfboy reject. Somebody contact amnesty immediately. It is incredibly cruel and inhumane to shout at a terrorist.

As for Bush flushing some koran down the toilet, that title is pretty deceptive, not to mention a flat out lie, as the word Bush is not mentioned even once in the BBC article.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2005, 07:59 AM

He finished the week by running away from an enemy Cessna that originally attacked Cary Grant in "North by Northwest". My hero. sam
Actually, he was riding a bike at Petuxant Widlife Center at the time. The Secret Service didn't even tell him about the evacuation.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush was not told for nearly an hour while he finished a bike ride about a breach in White House airspace on Wednesday that prompted the highest alert since the September 11, 2001, attacks, the White House said.
The White House said the Secret Service held off informing the president because he was not in danger and White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Bush was satisfied with how the situation was handled.

Bush was about a half-an-hour into his ride at the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center in Maryland when an unidentified Cessna airplane came near the White House, sending the Secret Service scrambling to evacuate Vice President Dick Cheney and move First Lady Laura Bush to a secure location.

McClellan said the president's Secret Service detail was informed about the plane at about 11:59 a.m., when the decision was made to raise the threat level at the White House to "yellow."

Fighter planes were immediately scrambled to intercept the plane, and the threat level at the White House was raised all the way to "red" before the "all clear" was given at 12:14 p.m.

McClellan said Bush was informed about the incident around 12:50 p.m. at the end of his ride. He left the reserve around 12:57 p.m. and returned to the White House at around 1:30 p.m., well after the security scare had ended.
Reuters

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by idjeff
Funny, I so no mention of Bush in that article...
I noticed that myself. It's as though people are under the illusion that everything which goes on in the military has Bush's personal stamp of approval.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2005, 09:23 AM

Well SVass, your post was the energizer bunny of stupidity.
A Cessna in North by Northwest,........

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
May 12, 2005, 09:35 AM

I think if they were to flush the book, then they probably tore out each page and then crumpled it up first.
I doubt they did that though, but even if they did, so what? The bad guys just behead their captives. We feed them, and allow them to pray to allah twice a day... Maybe we should be more stern.

SVass  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by BoomStick
Well SVass, your post was the energizer bunny of stupidity.
A Cessna in North by Northwest,........
I couldn't resist the mental image. The man in the flight suit on the carrier, the marshall in High Noon saying "We'll get em dead or alive", the fearless leader or our troops bragging "They're hiding in caves", the cycling demon trying to out pedal the airplane on a country road. Remember, he wants to reopen the old local Washington National Airport to private planes. sam

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I noticed that myself. It's as though people are under the illusion that everything which goes on in the military has Bush's personal stamp of approval.
Isn't the office of the President the highest accountable position in the US military?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Isn't the office of the President the highest accountable position in the US military?
Indeed it is, but not every decision gets up to his level. That's the point of having a chain of command.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
May 12, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
I think if they were to flush the book, then they probably tore out each page and then crumpled it up first.
I doubt they did that though, but even if they did, so what? The bad guys just behead their captives. We feed them, and allow them to pray to allah twice a day... Maybe we should be more stern.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

budster101
Baninated
May 12, 2005, 01:28 PM

The title of this thread should be changed. It is entirely misleading and wrong.

SVass  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Indeed it is, but not every decision gets up to his level. That's the point of having a chain of command.
http://ciponline.org/cuba/gtmo%20summary.htm
Did the abuses in fact take place? If so, who is responsible for them?

Evidence presented at the conference made it clear that abuses had indeed taken place and were condoned by senior levels of our government. Alberto Gonzales' memos, Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld's approval of specific interrogation techniques, and information released by the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) all show the abuses have gone down the chain of command.

I know that he was busy learning to carve a plastic Thanksgiving turkey and that they forgot to teach Rove's puppet how to shift a manual transmission. " When the presidents walked out after the meeting, Putin suddenly motioned for Bush to take the wheel, and Bush, surprised, did. But he soon got hung up by the lever of the car's manual gear shift, mounted on the steering column, and, with a flummoxed but determined look on his face, fought to get the car into first gear. Soon enough Putin leaned over toward Bush, grabbed the shift lever and slammed it into gear."
sam

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 01:54 PM

Only a few dozen of the 500+ people being held at Gitmo had anything to do with Terrorism. Most of them were just foot soldiers drafted by the Taliban.

ImpulseResponse

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Heh, I was wondering that too. But even if they did, so what?
I worked in a juvenile prison for 5 years. There was a very “resourceful” kid who took the time and patience to completely flush his entire mattress down the toilet. He was in a “wet cell”—the kind with built in toilet/sink. Because the people on duty at the time didn’t turn off his water unless he needed to flush, he tore up the mattress, carefully shredded it by hand and over the course of a night, flushed it all down. The day staff were completely surprised to find him without the mattress in the morning.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969
I worked in a juvenile prison for 5 years. There was a very “resourceful” kid who took the time and patience to completely flush his entire mattress down the toilet. He was in a “wet cell”—the kind with built in toilet/sink. Because the people on duty at the time didn’t turn off his water unless he needed to flush, he tore up the mattress, carefully shredded it by hand and over the course of a night, flushed it all down. The day staff were completely surprised to find him without the mattress in the morning.
Hahaha, that's awesome.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2005, 02:44 PM

http://ciponline.org/cuba/gtmo%20summary.htm
"When the presidents walked out after the meeting, Putin suddenly motioned for Bush to take the wheel, and Bush, surprised, did. But he soon got hung up by the lever of the car's manual gear shift, mounted on the steering column, and, with a flummoxed but determined look on his face, fought to get the car into first gear. Soon enough Putin leaned over toward Bush, grabbed the shift lever and slammed it into gear."
sam
America hasn't had a manual shift lever on a steering column since the 1960s. I imagine whatever Russian auto that had such a lever probably wasn't incredibly well made or maintained. Lada?
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

budster101
Baninated
May 12, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
Only a few dozen of the 500+ people being held at Gitmo had anything to do with Terrorism. Most of them were just foot soldiers drafted by the Taliban.
Really?
Wow. Do they were uniforms?...

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Hahaha, that's awesome.
That kid was weird, but cool at the same time.

PacHead
Baninated
May 12, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero

PacHead
Baninated
May 12, 2005, 03:32 PM

Many people have died so far, regarding the toilet bowl and the koran.

Certain people are going bananas in Afghanistan & Pakistan, rioting etc.

My advice: Chill out, smoke a bowl, it's only a book. And besides has this newsweek story even been proven ?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2005, 03:46 PM

America hasn't had a manual shift lever on a steering column since the 1960s. I imagine whatever Russian auto that had such a lever probably wasn't incredibly well made or maintained. Lada?
70s, actually. As late as 1970 the Chevy C-10 had the shifter on the steering column.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2005, 04:34 PM

It was called a three on the tree.
I had a 68 Chevy stepside in highschool

Vpro7
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 05:32 PM

Might be a crazy thought, but perhaps it's possible in today's world to rip the pages first then flush them?

I'm not shocked by this, incidents like it are common, and others are far worse. It's what happens when the military is partly comprised of kids who have little sense.
US govt to Saddam 2 days before Iraq invaded Kuwait: "We have no opinion on ...conflicts like your border dispute with Kuwait...I have direct instruction from the President... Secretary of State James Baker has directed our official spokesman to emphasize this instruction."

PacHead
Baninated
May 12, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vpro7
It's what happens when the military is partly comprised of kids who have little sense.
Not true, our interrogators know exactly which methods to use against the barbaric terrorists, such as using women interrogators and their own beliefs against them.

Vpro7
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Not true, our interrogators know exactly which methods to use against the barbaric terrorists, such as using women interrogators and their own beliefs against them.

First of all, the comment on your military was separate from the Qur'an flushing incident. It was said in reference to the general approach of US troops to those in Iraq, or other places. How do I know this? Well, let's just say I've personally worked on cases which involved "barbaric" behaviour towards civilians and supposed criminals.

Secondly, it's a mighty assumption saying that those held are "terrorists", since it's painfully obvious many are not.

Your comments are just silly.
US govt to Saddam 2 days before Iraq invaded Kuwait: "We have no opinion on ...conflicts like your border dispute with Kuwait...I have direct instruction from the President... Secretary of State James Baker has directed our official spokesman to emphasize this instruction."

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
May 12, 2005, 05:57 PM

Except, if true, it's an attack on all Muslims. I know you don't care but most decent human beings would.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2005, 06:16 PM

Is it ok for interrogators of Christians to use Christianity against them?

Vpro7
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
Except, if true, it's an attack on all Muslims. I know you don't care but most decent human beings would.

Indeed. His comments are those of the ignorant.

Vpro7
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 06:30 PM

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Interrogation techniques take on many, many forms.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
May 12, 2005, 06:58 PM

Just imagine what the response would be from the Christian world(USA/South America/South Europe) if the US did something similar when interrogating people suspected of being somehow related to a group that had something to do with bombing abortion clinics or KKK.

Or imagine the outcry if some other nation(whatever nation) would do something similar against a Jewish suspect.

But we live in times where it's OK to attack Islam and Muslims. Hopefully that time will end soon.

PacHead
Baninated
May 12, 2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vpro7
He doesn't know what he's talking about.
Yep, I have not idea what I'm talking about. My comments are untrue, and should definitely be ignored by all sane people that are reading this. The US military does not use women interrogators as I apparently incorrectly stated, because we all know that cowardly islamic terrorists do not have huge issues when it comes to women. Can you imagine those women beating cowards sitting down in some chair being harrased by a female interrogator for hours on end ?

Of course, this is not happening, because I don't know what I'm talking about. So, no need for any sympathizers of the terrorists to get upset at anything.

We also are not using harsher methods against the terrorists, such as waterboarding, sleep deprivation and other useful techniques, because once again, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Carry on. . . . . Don't mind the person who doesn't know what he's talking about. . . .

SVass  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2005, 07:26 PM

Yep, I have not idea what I'm talking about. My comments are untrue, and should definitely be ignored by all sane people that are reading this. The US military does not use women interrogators as I apparently incorrectly stated, because we all know that cowardly islamic terrorists do not have huge issues when it comes to women. Can you imagine those women beating cowards sitting down in some chair being harrased by a female interrogator for hours on end ?

]Of course, this is not happening, because I don't know what I'm talking about. So, no need for any sympathizers of the terrorists to get upset at anything.

We also are not using harsher methods against the terrorists, such as waterboarding, sleep deprivation and other useful techniques, because once again, I don't know what I'm talking about.
]
If my candidate is elected then we will surrender GWB and his minions for a real war crimes trial with a jury. I am not a sympathizer of terrorists like the BUSH family. Nazi supporters are terrorists. Cowardly Christian terrorists do not flee strafing Cessnas. Braggart Christian terrorists do play dress up as combat heroes, act like they can drive a car, and give our money to the Saudis. Torture is a federal crime. Attorneys General should also be held liable for their inaction. sam

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2005, 09:03 PM

Do you have to consult mohammad's magic meteor first?

bubblewrap
Senior User
May 12, 2005, 09:08 PM

Except your candidate can't be elected here.
You have to be a natural born citizen. And I don't see Bin Laden becoming very popular any time soon.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

bubblewrap
Senior User
May 13, 2005, 08:01 AM

Update: no desicration of books found

Besides it's only a book. What's the big deal?
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2005, 09:20 AM

So it was a lie.

As usual.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by bubblewrap
Update: no desecration of books found

Besides it's only a book. What's the big deal?

Have some reverence for the things that hold meaning to other people. Flag burning bothers a lot of people, but by your words, it's only a flag. Do you see?

bubblewrap
Senior User
May 13, 2005, 10:50 AM

Yes, absolutely.
But the ones who would say the same if it were the Christian bible haven't said the same yet.
I guess it's ok to piss off Christians but not muslems here.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2005, 10:53 AM

Yes, absolutely.
But the ones who would say the same if it were the Christian bible haven't said the same yet.
I guess it's ok to piss off Christians but not muslems here.
Actually, I'd like to expect the same reverence for all- but I know by now to be disappointed by some.

The difference that I note is that for some there is plain virulent anti-religious sentiment, and for some, only virulent anti-Christian or anti-Jew sentiment or anti-Muslim sentiment.

I for one am not any of those, I simply tire of people of any religion who express a desire to kill me, my family, my friends, declare me a legitimate target. Among these forums, I tire of those who support or sympathize with those people.

budster101
Baninated
May 13, 2005, 10:56 AM

Actually,

It has been discovered that a detainee himself had ripped pages from his book in order to protest by shoving them down the toilet in an effort to clog it up...

I'll search for the source as I had been watching the network news and it was a small blurb in their news.

Anyone else hear the same thing?
Sounds more like the truth.

bubblewrap
Senior User
May 13, 2005, 12:28 PM

Typical leftist tripe being accepted as "news".
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

SVass  (op)
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 12:50 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3533804.stm
Britons allege Guantanamo abuse 4 August, 2004

" * guards threw prisoners' Korans into toilets and tried to force them to give up their religion

The men allege that when a new camp commander, Maj Gen Geoffrey Miller, took charge, new practices began, including the shaving of beards, playing loud music, shackling detainees in squatting positions and locking them naked in cells...

The Foreign Office said the United States had been asked to examine the allegations and would be responding to them fully."

This is not a new report! It also contains allegations of physical torture. Where is the US response? If this report is true, the investigation should either be ongoing or complete. General Myers should have an answer already. sam

PacHead
Baninated
May 13, 2005, 01:09 PM

I'm sure the dead people, the ones who have died over this fake news, will appreciate the good actions of the journalists.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2005, 01:58 PM

If my candidate is elected then we will surrender GWB and his minions for a real war crimes trial with a jury.
What war crimes? Be very careful in answering this question. It is a loaded question that will have you answering more questions regarding your lack of passion during our military presence in Yugoslavia while the Clinton Administration was in office and will only serve to expose the ignorance for which you've been silenced in the numerous other, kneejerk posts of yours in the past. As usual, your posts are always useful for a good laugh sam. SV-heavy on the ass.
I am not a sympathizer of terrorists like the BUSH family.
The BUSH family *doom theatre music chimes. Which members of the BUSH family sympathizes with terrorists and Nazis? I hope it's not Jenna, please not Jenna!
Nazi supporters are terrorists.
That probably would've been an intelligent comment warranting kudos, but then...
Cowardly Christian terrorists do not flee strafing Cessnas.
uh, no one fled. They were evacuated, there's a difference. If you're still referring to Bush who was away from the Pentagon on a bike ride and knew nothing about the event, I'd have to ask; are you being a moron on purpose or does it really come this naturally?
Braggart Christian terrorists do play dress up as combat heroes, act like they can drive a car, and give our money to the Saudis.
In order to be accurately deemed a terrorist, you have to commit terrorist actions. What terrorism are you referring to? Just for clarification; are you 11 years old? I just want to make sure you're not correlated with the other 11 year old who posts here.
Torture is a federal crime.
Right and in non-terrorist nations, torture is penalized Federally. Which is what we see no?
Attorneys General should also be held liable for their inaction. sam
Was this the inaction that led to the fire-bombing of the Branch Davidian compound? Oh wait, wrong attorney general. ebuddy

I kind of like manually signing my name after each post. Kind of adds weight to my statements. ebuddy
ebuddy

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy
What war crimes? Be very careful in answering this question.
The deliberate, racially-motivated attacks on civilians, mostly. That's the key, here: he believes that the attacks on civilians were deliberate, and that they were racially motivated (or, more likely, motivated by religion). I find this idea to be absurd, but I daresay it's what Svass believes, and he won't be convinced otherwise.
The BUSH family *doom theatre music chimes.
I don't know; I'd say the Imperial March from Star Wars would be more in line with his beliefs.
Which members of the BUSH family sympathizes with terrorists and Nazis?
You'd have to go back three or four generations to find them. They did exist, though, and in certain people's minds the only fitting punishment for that sort of thing works corruption of blood. That is why the descendants of the perpetrators are held to be as liable as the perpetrators themselves.

Forum Links
Forum Rules