Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bro's iBook G4 won't burn CDs??

Bro's iBook G4 won't burn CDs??
U n i o n 0015
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2005, 09:37 PM

My brother called me today (he's in Florida, I'm in DC) and said that his iBook G4 won't burn CDs as of late. He says it was burning fine a couple of weeks ago, but starting yesterday, it wouldn't work. Unfortunately, with me being so far away, it's hard to diagnose.

He said he can't burn CDs using either Finder or iTunes. The drive will just make a clicking noise when it goes to burn. The strange thing is, he has no problems reading CDs.

I can run him through all the usual fixes: permission repairs, power management reset...but does anyone have any insights besides that? I can't help but think the drive is failing. If that's the case, how hard is it to find and replace a CD burner in an iBook?
12" 1.5GHz Aluminum PowerBook G4
15" 1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4

U n i o n 0015  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2005, 09:38 PM

ARGH! Sorry about the other threads, I even waiting like 5 minutes and kept refreshing to avoid a double (triple post!)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2005, 10:11 PM

Did he upgrade to 10.4.3 between when he could burn CDs and when he couldn't?

U n i o n 0015  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Did he upgrade to 10.4.3 between when he could burn CDs and when he couldn't?
He's still running 10.3.9.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2005, 11:19 AM

Try burning from a second admin user: What this does is eliminate any problems with the original user. A surprising number of problems can be "diagnosed" this way.

Next, if he's got a firewire drive available, with a pristine MacOS system, boot off that and try burning.

Lastly or firstly, reset nvram in open firmware.

U n i o n 0015  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2005, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by amazing
Try burning from a second admin user: What this does is eliminate any problems with the original user. A surprising number of problems can be "diagnosed" this way.

Next, if he's got a firewire drive available, with a pristine MacOS system, boot off that and try burning.

Lastly or firstly, reset nvram in open firmware.
I'll try the second admin user thing and see if that does anything. How do you reset nvram in open firmware? Thanks!

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by U n i o n 0015
I'll try the second admin user thing and see if that does anything. How do you reset nvram in open firmware? Thanks!
Long-distance tech support is very fiddly, so it's a good thing it's family (kudos to you, keep the patience exercised!)

The second admin user is the best place to start. After that: Here's the nvram info.

During startup, hold down command-option-p-r through at least 4 chimes, then release. Or use the open firmware method.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238
USING OPEN FIRMWARE:

1) reboot while holding option-command-o-f (boot into open firmware)
2) type: reset-nvram (return)
3) type: reset-all (return)
4) the Mac should restart on its own, if the commands have been typed correctly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules