Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Another Control Strip Problem

Another Control Strip Problem
Junebug172
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2000, 05:02 PM

My control strip seems to stop showing up on my screen at random times. I have to go to the control panel and turn it back on and I don't know why it stops showing itself. ANy ideas?

Bug

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 5, 2000, 05:09 PM

never seen that one before, have you tried deleting the Control Strip Pref's file?

btw, what have you tried in the way of fixing this?

someone
May 6, 2000, 02:14 AM

Hi wlonh! It's interesting that you say you haven't seen it before, because I have the same problem Junebug172 does! I'd just forgotten about it, because the problem seemed to stop about a month ago. When I would start up, my Control strip might not be where I left it. When I would go to the Control Strip CP, it would say, "The Control Strip is installed, but not active on your system. Would you like to start it?" This I found really odd, but it eventually fixed itself.
Is this what happens with you, Junebug?
And yes, wlonh, I am the same someone who asked about Todd Oberdink.

someone
May 6, 2000, 02:16 AM

Oh by the way, I have a Sawtooth G4 running at 450 MHz, running system 9.0.4. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier, but I doubt it has anything to do with hardware.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2000, 02:30 PM

One possible thing is that some program quits the control strip, like those installers that take their sweet little time and close all 20 of your open programs that you've needed up. In Mac OS 9, control panels and things like the control strip act like programs so they cannot take down the whole system if they crash, and so the only way to relaunch the control strip is to go to the cp and enable it.

Junebug172  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2000, 05:02 PM

EXA

I think you found the correlation! I've updated some programs I have and noticed it deactivvated. I haven't done anything since and its been fine. Thanks.

someone
May 7, 2000, 07:03 PM

Congratulations, Junebug172! Thanks a lot, exa! That must be why the Control Strip problem fixed itself a couple of months ago�I had updated many programs to work with OS 9! One again, thanks exa, and I'm happy that Junebug172's problem is solved.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 7, 2000, 07:28 PM

ok i am way off-topic: 'someone', i know you enjoy your privacy, as i do mine... nothing bad will happen, you will not compromise your privacy if you register as a Forum member, you can give as much or as little info as you wish and you can hide your email addy from all but admins here...

why not hop on in then you can start your own threads about issues you have

someone
Forum Regular
May 8, 2000, 09:58 PM

Okay, thanks for the vote of confidence, wlonh! I am registering right now.
someone who loves Macs

someone
Forum Regular
May 8, 2000, 10:05 PM

Look! I don't say "someone-unregistered" anymore! Yaaay! Thanks a lot, wlonh!
P.S: Look at my new signiture!
someone who loves Macs

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 8, 2000, 10:27 PM

i was going to say congratulations, but i'd rather not tell you that

Misha
Professional Poster
May 9, 2000, 12:12 AM

Anyone have the problem where, after hiding the control strip (via hot key), it reappears immediately after quitting some applications?

It happens to me with SoundJam, MacMAME, and Photoshop to name a few. Man it's annoying...

someone
Forum Regular
May 9, 2000, 12:39 AM

All right, all right, back on topic! Humph.

Perhaps you might be having the same problem as Junebug172 and I did, except in reverse? That some of your extensions or CPs are restarting the Control Strip? Most of your programs are updated for OS 9 compatability, right? If you started up with OS 9.0.4 (or whatever OS you have) Base, except for the SoundJam and Control Strip extensions, does your Strip still quit?

Hmmmm. I'll do some research and get back to you.
someone who loves Macs

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2000, 05:11 PM

The disappearing of the Control Strip is always a certain sign of doom for my iMac DV. Whenever it disappears while the computer is on, if I try to restart, "Login" unexpectedly quits. Then, the control strip is disabled after I force-restart. Is there any correlation there?
and play the game existence to the end

Forum Links
Forum Rules