Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Appletalk

Appletalk
Junebug172
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2000, 03:21 PM

Just curious, what is appletalk used for now. I have a firewire powerbook and noticed that I have it off when connectede to my USB printer. I use the IRDA port with it off as well. Is it still used?

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2000, 06:54 PM

AppleTalk is still used by some older programs and file sharing. It will soon be phased out, however, because it is much slower than TCP/IP for many things.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

Junebug172  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2000, 09:01 PM

I figured as much. All I used Appletalk for was to tranfer files to my laptop. Other than that, I couldn't figure why else it would be used.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Junebug

RichardS
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2000, 11:28 PM

Junebug, exactly.

AppleTalk is Apple's networking protocol. It does not connect you with USB or Serial printers. It is used for transfering files between two macs. Nothing more. And it will still be there in OS X.

RichardS

Linda
Mar 7, 2000, 12:35 PM

I need AppleTalk turned on on my 8600/G4/400 to print to my HP LaserJet 4000 via Ethernet. And it must be enabled on the graphite G4/350 to print to a LaserWriter Select 360 via Ethernet to an Asante LocalTalk box (localtalk cable from box to printer).

Both of these printers are accessed via the Chooser, so, I think it's safe to assume that printing to a PostScript device via the Chooser also requires AppleTalk to be active.

I could be wrong

Linda

Forum Links
Forum Rules