Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight wildcard search?

Spotlight wildcard search?
wobbly
Jan 26, 2010, 02:27 PM

I'm using spotlight in 10.5.x but can't figure out how to do wild card searches:

For example, if I search for "Firefox" in spotlight, I start to type "Firef" and the correct application is already at the top of the list. However if I start the search with "IREFOX" (leaving the 'F" off by accident or otherwise) I don't get any hits at all. There must be a way to search without using the beginning of a file name, it would be useful to know how to do this as sometimes I can only remember part of a file or application but not the whole name. It must be easy but I tried adding an asterisk at the beginning or a percent symbol but neither worked, i.e., "*IREFOX" or "%IREFOX"

thanks!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2010, 04:07 PM

You have to use the (Name) (contains) search criterium.

wobbly  (op)
Jan 26, 2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
You have to use the (Name) (contains) search criterium.

thanks for the reply. Is it possible to do this from the spotlight quick menu thing (i.e., command + spacebar)?

I guess I was thinking of spotlight in terms of the quick launch rather than the command + F search (i associate the search strategy you outlined with the finder, although maybe it is spotlight too?)...in any case thanks!

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2010, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
thanks for the reply. Is it possible to do this from the spotlight quick menu thing (i.e., command + spacebar)?
Probably not. [no options or selectable criteria available there, so...] We might could save a search (with various settings) and perhaps rig a key-combo to pull that up.

Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I guess I was thinking of spotlight in terms of the quick launch rather than the command + F search
FWIW, that "(Name) (contains):" type of search is more quickly accessed via command-shift-F (⌘⇧F).
-HI-

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2010, 01:47 AM

Actually, that makes it less quick, because the ⌘-shift-F shortcut causes the search criteria not to show up at all, causing you to have to click the "+" button.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2010, 03:31 AM

Not here (still running 10.5.8 until the "Arrandale" MBP is released).

Command-shift-F lands me right inside the exact criteria TETENAL suggested...
(Name) (contains): _________________
...and text can be immediately typed into that blank field (w/o needing to click).

[edit: maybe Snowy's new Finder/Spotlight pref has short-circuited that ability... idunno.]
-HI-

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2010, 01:33 PM

In Snow Leopard, that just puts the insertion point into the rounded Find field, sets it to search in the filename only (in other words, disabling the content search), and hides all the search criteria.

It's effectively the same thing as prepending "name:" to the beginning of a search done via the ⌘-spacebar shortcut. The good news is that it's probably a good deal faster than the "name contains" search since it just can do a simple B-Tree search for the name, but the bad news is that while "Firefo" will turn up results, "irefox" won't.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules