Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ATI Firmware on the Ti 1GHZ 15" PB

ATI Firmware on the Ti 1GHZ 15" PB
hsvgoku
Apr 15, 2003, 10:56 PM

Hi guys, i tried to search the past threads for this topic but no luck. Can i download the latest firmware for the ATI Radeon 9000 card in my PB?

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by hsvgoku:
Hi guys, i tried to search the past threads for this topic but no luck. Can i download the latest firmware for the ATI Radeon 9000 card in my PB?
did you look directly at the Apple website?
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

hsvgoku  (op)
Apr 15, 2003, 11:26 PM

Went to the apple support site and search for the 'ATI'. No luck at all.

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 12:11 PM

why do you need the latest firmware? is it a great improvement on the existing stuff - I have one too

dialo
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 01:48 PM

the firmware or the drivers? And I would also like to know why.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2003, 02:32 PM

hi all, id like to to know why apple stuck a ati 9000 in the Tibook with the 8500 firmware.

if you boot up with command-s held down you'll see a bunch of text fill the screen but the one that interest me is the line that says ati 8500. ive got a TiSD and the vid card is a 9000 but firmware says its a 8500? go figure...

oh well hope apple or ati udates this soon as i heard that the 9000's can do some cool stuff.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by silverghost:
hi all, id like to to know why apple stuck a ati 9000 in the Tibook with the 8500 firmware.

if you boot up with command-s held down you'll see a bunch of text fill the screen but the one that interest me is the line that says ati 8500. ive got a TiSD and the vid card is a 9000 but firmware says its a 8500? go figure...

oh well hope apple or ati udates this soon as i heard that the 9000's can do some cool stuff.

aloha
I think your mixing up firmware and drivers. Your talking about drivers. The reason ATI may be using the ATI Radeon 8500 drivers for the ATI Mobility 9000 is because maybe they are based on the same chip architecture. I've personally lost track of which Radeon has which chip.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Vond
Apr 16, 2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
I think your mixing up firmware and drivers. Your talking about drivers. The reason ATI may be using the ATI Radeon 8500 drivers for the ATI Mobility 9000 is because maybe they are based on the same chip architecture. I've personally lost track of which Radeon has which chip.
Yeah, the 9000M uses the same basic architecture as the 8500 desktop chip, with lots and lots of power-saving and related features. Which is extra-confusing since there's a 9000 desktop chip too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules