Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > what brand of watch are you wearing right now?

what brand of watch are you wearing right now? (Page 2)
Nivag
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 07:36 AM

I've got a few G Shocks, this is the current favourite.

iCol
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 09:51 AM

Swatch Irony, bought it in the Swatch store opposite Tiffany's in New York on my trip there in August. It has NYC '03 carved into the top of the leather strap, and faired very well on our trip round South America. Very nice watch, I only ever buy Swatches!
F is for Fooyork.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2004, 10:02 AM

I have in my collection...

1. Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk - My fave, I use it for the E6B and chronographer when I'm flying my plane.

2. Tag Huer SEL - The date is malfunctioning and needs repair

3. Omega Seamaster- Huge and uncomfortable

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by talisker:
Seiko Titanium.
Same here. Very light and comfortable. Goes with everything from jeans to a Tux. Cool blue face. Love it.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 11:02 AM

Skagen titanium I got several years ago. Goes well with the Powerbook.

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
bodoni, right?

i'm wearing a m&co "5 o'clock"
one post closer to five stars

OreoCookie
Jan 13, 2004, 11:08 AM

Usually one of my two Swatch watches or - if I feel fancy - my Omega Constellation (quite old and rare, inherited from my grandfather).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 11:47 AM

TAG 2K Series Automatic

Well this sucks.. in trying to find a pic of my watch.. I'm finding all these prices are cheaper!!.... Hopefully, its because it has been a year..

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by dav:
bodoni, right?

i'm wearing a m&co "5 o'clock"
Unfortunately, I don't remember the model names, but you're probably correct. I have another one with a brushed gold case. I also have a couple of the wall clocks. I got the straightforward ones rather than the goofy ones but they're all cool in their way. I wonder if they'll ever become collector's items.

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2004, 12:34 PM

I have two "regurlar" wear watches. The one I have on now is one of those MSN Direct Fossil watches that gets stocks, weather, news, etc on it. The other is a Techno Marine Diving Watch.

-Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 01:01 PM

I'm wearing a Seiko Quartz watch. Have owned it for over 4 years, faithful at keeping the correct time.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

bbcclo
Jan 13, 2004, 01:58 PM

This has been my watch for the past 2 years or so... its a really HUGE watch, so it attracts a lot of attention. This limited edition Seiko watch is based on the watch worn by a character in the Final Fantasy movie.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=31387

Though, the US SEALs are issued the
CASIO "G" Shock DW 6600 on graduation.
That is the word.

I have the same DW-6600 (left) model as you do. I bought it almost 10 years ago. It is still running on the same battery now.

On the right DW-003 model.

I have some Baby-G in the closet.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2004, 02:24 PM

Timex Indglo...

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 02:39 PM

I love the colour green, and this was the greenest watch with legible numbers I could find

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2004, 02:47 PM

Tissot RockWatch. I've had it since '91 and it doesn't have a mark on it.

(this one isn't mine, but rather a pic of a similar one I found on Ebay)
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Jan 13, 2004 at 02:57 PM. )

deekay1
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 03:02 PM

swatch "access snowpass".

pretty cool. you can use it as a pass for lift access in a lot of ski resorts already.

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 03:09 PM

i don't wear a watch...when i was younger i was fossil watches. the silver ones with a blue face...they were popular back then...i think they still may be popular

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

palmberg
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 03:09 PM

Skagen.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 13, 2004, 03:29 PM

ryju
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
that could be a WMD.

Shhhh I don't want to have to live in a hole!!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2004, 07:21 PM

Seiko Automatic self-winding watch that my brother bought for me in Tokyo about 10 years ago.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 09:52 PM

Omega Seamaster. I love the style, plus it's self-winding, simple, and damn near unbreakable. Water proof to 1000 feet ought to hold me!

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 11:42 PM

A CRAZY cheap Timex Ironman.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 03:01 AM

Well, today I'm wearing my Apple "Think Different" watch (black and running backwards, of course). It's not as elegant as my GA watch, but it really confuses people who glance at it during a meeting!

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2004, 09:09 AM

I've always been one to go for watches with crazy features rather than an elegant look. I've owned some of the first casio databanks as well as the remote control watches/radio watches etc. Currently I don't wear a watch, opting to use the cell phone to tell time instead, but I'll probably pick up a Suunto X6 or S6 before long.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jan 14, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Omega Seamaster. I love the style, plus it's self-winding, simple, and damn near unbreakable. Water proof to 1000 feet ought to hold me!
Ditto - isn't it amazing how light your arm feels when you take it off?!

snct
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2004, 04:21 PM

Seiko Kinetic (analog, with date)
Citizen Blue Angels (analog/digital)
Nautica Steel (analog/digital)
G-Shock (analog/digital)

I've been swapping between the Seiko and the Citizen (wearing the Seiko as I type this). Analog/digitals are my favorite; preferably with a metal band, as my skin doesn't take very well to vinyl, or leather bands for more than a few weeks at a time.

The analog part of the Nautica Steel stopped working (it's the best looking, inexpensive watch I've ever owned; but alas, I should have spent more ). And the black titanium G-Shock I wear for rough activity because the crystal is badly scratched.
--Steve

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 05:07 PM

Oris BC3:

-mrwalker

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 07:09 PM

Rolex submariner that I bought myself 7 or 8 years ago.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Silencer
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2004, 09:20 PM

I used to buy loads of watches, but now I just wear my Casio G-Shock Raysman, its solar powered so it lasts forever and has a phone book built in, not the most expensive watch but it does its job well.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 09:25 PM

I have all sorts of watches..but have not worn any of them regularly in over 5 years.

Since my cell phone shows the time, I think a wristwatch is sort of pointless anymore.

Jazzphone
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2004, 10:06 PM

My sexy fossil, the digital numbers in the background are seconds and the move in very funky animations, there are like 12 to chose from. Very cool comfy watch. Attracts attention and looks good as hell on me. Enjoy

variable06
Jan 15, 2004, 12:15 PM

I've got a Seamaster as well...I love the window on the back so you can see the automatic mechanism at work.

arson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 12:55 PM

Nixon Coax

I'm what Willis was talking about.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 01:07 PM

JEEZUS. Whaddabuncha toymeisters.

I got a freckle. And a cell phone with the time on it. Used to have a swiss army watch for when I went hiking. Took abuse. Still have it. Just don't use it. I'll use it next hiking trip.

Why spend $1000 on a Tag? $2000 on a Breitling? Ditto Rolex? Why? Seems like a kind of Lincoln Navigator thing to me. Impressive, but functionally, will do the exact same thing as some other thing that cost 99% less.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

dustrho
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 01:35 PM

I'm currently wearing a Timex Ironman watch, which I happened to get as a Christmas present from my wife.

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

entrox
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Why spend $1000 on a Tag? $2000 on a Breitling? Ditto Rolex? Why? Seems like a kind of Lincoln Navigator thing to me. Impressive, but functionally, will do the exact same thing as some other thing that cost 99% less.
Why spend 25.000� on a Mercedes? 3.000� on an Apple? Why not drive a Lada and use a Dell? Because some people can and care. You wouldn't be posting here otherwise, would you?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 05:44 PM

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Seiko Automatic self-winding watch that my brother bought for me in Tokyo about 10 years ago.
Square off the "corners" a bit, and you've got my Seiko - bought ~25 years ago. Splurged about $125 at the time, for "state of the art" Japanese watch. Also have a Raymond Weil Parsifal black & stainless, and a knock-about-the-yard St. Moritz Pathfinder, titaium alarm. Finally, a good old Timex, black and gold square dial, same vintage as the Seiko. Most frequently worn? The Timex and Seiko.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 11:18 PM

I have a watch, minus one side of the band, that was $1

OreoCookie
Jan 16, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by willed:

Pic basically the same except it's not a 'Seamaster' - just a classic Omega Automatic. Classic, clean design.

Was my Father's 21st present. He's passed it on to me (he's still going strong but now has a Rolex). I like it's retro look.
Wow, very, very nice. I like it a lot.

OreoCookie
Jan 16, 2004, 12:27 AM

Ok, this is my grandfather's watch. You really can't see the effect, cause the light is static. The background is made of quartz, so you can't see the different reflections as the pic is static. Beautiful watch, but a bit heavy, though.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by entrox:
Why spend 25.000� on a Mercedes? 3.000� on an Apple? Why not drive a Lada and use a Dell? Because some people can and care. You wouldn't be posting here otherwise, would you?

Hm. Functionality. What is the function of a watch? What is the function of a car? The performance of a Mercedes or Mac- in fact the entire user experience is SIGNIFICANTLY different on either of these devices. It is the increased performance/ functionality/ significantly different user experience which drives interest in these things.
What would you say is the user experience for a watch? How does one gauge that? Loudness of tick? Weight on the wrist? Time will be told as accurately on a $10 Timex as a $25000 Breitling. Hell, I can even get a $50 watch which will deal just fine with diving.

Seems to me the only reason to go with a 3,4 or 5 figure watch is vanity. Nothing more.
( Last edited by maxelson; Jan 16, 2004 at 11:57 AM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 16, 2004, 11:41 AM

Nothing fancy.

http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148215825

I've owned two of them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2004, 11:49 AM

Seems to me the only reason to go with a 3,4 or 5 figure watch is vanity. Nothing more.
Sure, in part, and for many people.

You must admit, though, that the 10$ Timex will not tell time as well as a $2000 Breitling, which will probably still tell time to your great-grandchildren (and likely still be worth $2000 at *least*).

I don't know - timepieces are a class of objects unto themselves, and rationality has very little to do with it in many cases.

(just remembering Christopher Walken's "watch" scene in Pulf Fiction. )

-s*

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 11:59 AM

I dunno. My father has my grandfather's timex. Takes a licking and all that.

And of COURSE it will tell time as well as a Breitling. What are we gauging, here? Having to maybe kick it forward a minute once a year? Only having to do that once every two years is worth $2000?

einmakom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 12:07 PM

Hm. Functionality. What is the function of a watch? What is the function of a car? The performance of a Mercedes or Mac- in fact the entire user experience is SIGNIFICANTLY different on either of these devices. It is the increased performance/ functionality/ significantly different user experience which drives interest in these things.
What would you say is the user experience for a watch? How does one gauge that? Loudness of tick? Weight on the wrist? Time will be told as accurately on a $10 Timex as a $25000 Breitling. Hell, I can even get a $50 watch which will deal just fine with diving.

Entirely possible in the broadest view.

Once upon a time, watches were a thing for those who could afford them, and making a watch accurately maintain time and maintain the power to tell time was a technological acheivment.

Accutron movements supplied the instrumentation on the moon landing. Omega was the space-approved watch for NASA astronauts. Rolex pioneered the waterproof diving watch (oyster). Cartier made a watch specifically for the Brazilian gentleman who experimented with flight in Paris. This model is still available today.

Watches were a complex combination of gears, diamonds on the gears, springs, part jewelry, part science, with intricate detail work required of both skills.

Then there were developments to make them reliably tell time, through the use of a battery driven motor that would turn at a frequency - (the elektra series by hamilton) - the accutron by bulova, which used a tuning fork to keep the watch accurate, and later the quartz watch which we all know today.

Then there were advancements in powering the watch.

From wind to self-wind, to battery, to solar (eco-drive), and self-wind to charge a battery (kinetic).

There's also a durability factor. You can break a glass or plastic crystal face. It is rare that you break the crystal on a Rolex. (Although my father did it while he and I were changing camshafts in an automobile. Who wears the rolex to work on the car? )

There's also service reputation. Rolex changed the crystal at no charge, IIRC. I imagine Breitling and others would be just as good. We still have my grandfather's Omega, and _his_ father's Phillipe Patek. These are meant to last.

I wear my grandfather's Bulova or a swatch irony self-wind model.

But are they just expensive doo-dads and gee-gaws? Possibly, possibly not. I won't hand a Timex down to my son, he'll have his great-grandfather's Bulova when the time is right.

My father's Rolex was an award from his company for 25 years of service. That will be with our family for a long time to come. The swatch irony is already failing (problem with it's winding post.)

So there's fashion, there's reliability measured in decades, there's heirloom status. And besides, there's occasion- you wouldn't wear a clunky g-shock to a formal dinner. You'd wear a metal band equipped watch without the chronograph clutter- simple, understated, and elegant. There's a time and place for the timex, the g-shock, the usb flash drive watch, and then there's a time for a timepiece that complements the man like a well-tailored suit.

Disagree, you may- but they're more than just collectors items.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2004, 12:11 PM

And of COURSE it will tell time as well as a Breitling. What are we gauging, here? Having to maybe kick it forward a minute once a year? Only having to do that once every two years is worth $2000?
Are you seriously taking the position that handicraft mastery has no value? That there really is *no* difference between a Breitling and a ****-ugly G-Force?

I *hope* you're just saying that YOU just don't happen to swing that way and buy a timepiece the same way you buy your car: "Find cheap version that performs function".

Hey, I prefer a good concert over theatre any day. That doesn't mean I have no appreciation for theatre or that it doesn't have any value.

-s*

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 12:31 PM

it's jewelry. don't really need a watch, time is easy to estimate and there's plenty of locations time pieces exist - not to mention people who wear watches. my watch was $100, and as far as accuracy, it only has one number on the dial (5). it's thin, lightweight, solid brushed stainless steel and it's design evokes in me an understanding that time is relative and a reminder of what is important.
one post closer to five stars

Forum Links
Forum Rules