Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chevy Blazer Owners Please Read

Chevy Blazer Owners Please Read
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 01:12 AM

I have an 01 blazer, i had an 00 and an 89 too. Now I'm thinking about getting an '04, and im also thinking about getting a stick. I can't seem to find a picture of one anywhere though. So if anyone here drives a blazer thats stick, can you please take pics of it and post em here. The whole center console area, i really wanna see what it all looks like you know. Thanks.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 22, 2004, 01:37 AM

Are you sure they come available with a manual transmission?

I don't think I have ever seen one.

I own a GMC Jimmy (same as a Blazer) and it is a Automatic transmission.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 01:43 AM

Automatic is standard on the 4 door models, but an optoin on the 2 door models

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 07:22 AM

Have you seen or heard anything good out of the new Chevy 2005 Equinox SUV already? Pretty affordable and nice looking IMHO...

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 09:57 AM

plus you can always convert it to a stick, custom

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 22, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Have you seen or heard anything good out of the new Chevy 2005 Equinox SUV already? Pretty affordable and nice looking IMHO...
I don't know much about the whole vehicle, but we make the cam shaft for that engine at the factory I work. I am the Machine Repairman for the machining line. The quality level is amazing. We are basically allowed ZERO defects on a cam with very tight tolerances. The machines that make the cams are state of the art. Everything on that cam is checked and double checked.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Here's a review on one.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
I have an 01 blazer, i had an 00 and an 89 too. Now I'm thinking about getting an '04, and im also thinking about getting a stick.

I would get the stick.

Kidding aside, I really like the looks of the Equinox, and it's very affordable. Have you looked at those yet?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Here's a review on one.
Wow, sounds nice...

Thanks!

snct
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2004, 12:28 PM

I have an 01 blazer, i had an 00 and an 89 too. Now I'm thinking about getting an '04, and im also thinking about getting a stick. I can't seem to find a picture of one anywhere though. So if anyone here drives a blazer thats stick, can you please take pics of it and post em here. The whole center console area, i really wanna see what it all looks like you know. Thanks.
Yeah, the Equinox looks like a very nice SUV (of the smaller ones offered nowadays). The Blazer/Jimmy has a different frame/engine that allows it tow more... Full frame and all.

I would just call around to some of the local lots, and ask if they have one with a manual trans, then go see it. You can also check this site:

www.autotrader.com

They usually have lots of pics.
--Steve

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 01:01 PM

Blazer is a truck, exquinox is a car. End of story.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 01:13 PM

Our Blazer has been the worst POS ever.

Left fron spring collapsed
Left rear spring collapsed
Window scrapers fell off
Windshield wiper controller defective 3 times
Alternator has failed 3 times
A battery a year
Starter was defective
Seat adjusters keep breaking
Waterpump failed at 36000 just out of warranty. I had to put head gaskets in.
All of the speakers died one by one

Ahhhh the fun of our seconf defective GM product.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 02:38 PM

Wouldn't it be pretty much the same as the S10 console?

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2004, 02:57 PM

We need ca$h to be apart of this thread.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 03:07 PM

no.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 03:40 PM

Howabout a jeep or a hummer?

meh likes the look of the jeep unlimited but ooh hummer

They're also too damn expensive
Aloha

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2004, 04:02 PM

Blazer is a truck, exquinox is a car. End of story.
?

And it's "Equinox"...

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 22, 2004, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
Our Blazer has been the worst POS ever.

Left fron spring collapsed
Left rear spring collapsed
Window scrapers fell off
Windshield wiper controller defective 3 times
Alternator has failed 3 times
A battery a year
Starter was defective
Seat adjusters keep breaking
Waterpump failed at 36000 just out of warranty. I had to put head gaskets in.
All of the speakers died one by one

Ahhhh the fun of our seconf defective GM product.
I'll make it clear up front, I have currently work for GM.

I own a 2000 4X4 GMC Jimmy with 67,000 miles on it. So far I have replaced the wipers blades and changed the oil regularly.

Looks like you need a new mechanic if you have gone through a battery a year and 3 alternators.

So far, since driving only GM cars for the last 10 years, the only mechanical failures I have had are a starter ($110) and a thermostat (~$25).

American cars have been built with some amazing quality in the last decade. It all depends on owner maintanance.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2004, 05:06 PM

I don't think the maintenance was the problem in that case.

Some times a lemon gets through.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:

I own a 2000 4X4 GMC Jimmy with 67,000 miles on it. So far I have replaced the wipers blades and changed the oil regularly.

Looks like you need a new mechanic if you have gone through a battery a year and 3 alternators.

So far, since driving only GM cars for the last 10 years, the only mechanical failures I have had are a starter ($110) and a thermostat (~$25).

American cars have been built with some amazing quality in the last decade. It all depends on owner maintanance.
yeah those mexicans sure know how to put a car together, hanks keep up the good work.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 22, 2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
yeah those mexicans sure know how to put a car together, hanks keep up the good work.
Huh?

My Jimmy was made in New Jersey. Do they have a lot of Mexican workers in New Jersey?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 11:43 AM

what happened to Flint?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 12:16 PM

What does a new mechanic have to do with 3 alternators, a battery a year, etc.? Neither mechanics nor owner maintenance has anything to do with my '97 Pontiac GrandAm GT POS having cost me $3000 in the last three years for replacing parts which wore out prematurely! Front control arm busings are a known problem on these cars (I found that out after I bought it); the brakes wear out regularly at 20 - 25k; the alternator went at 74k; the AC compressor at 75k; rear shocks at 84k; intake manifold gaskets at 84k (another well documented problem); and various other minor problems! I maintain my cars better than most. This is my 19th car in 40 years of driving, and I have well over a million miles under my belt. I've never owned an import that's had these kinds of problems until they had well over 100k on them. As a matter of fact, I've never owned an import that's cost me anywhere near that kind of money, and two of them I drove in for a trade, one with 250k on it, and the other with 210K on it! I could have driven them another year, but I just wanted a new car.

Please answer this; how do you maintain a car so the alternator doesn't go out? How do you maintain a car so the AC compressor doesn't go out? How do you maintain a car so that the intake manifold gaskets don't regularly leak, causing oil to get into the crankcase? These are all signs of mediocre engineering design issues; the parts aren't made to last!

American cars have made advances in quality in the last decade; to say that their quality is amazing goes counter to everything that the automotive press and experience by drivers clearly shows.

BTW, I used to make a good living as an auto mechanic, so I know a little more than the average Joe on how to maintain my cars.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2004, 12:16 PM

When the waterpump failed even after changing the coolant yearly it nearly destroyed the engine.

I am my mechanic as I used to be a mechanic for a living.

There is no excuse for the seats failing as I weigh 150lbs and my wife barely breaks 100.

There is no excuse for defective springs.

There has to be a defect in the wiring from all of the blown alternators and killed batteries.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 23, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
what happened to Flint?

With efficiency and outsourcing plans, GM didn't need to employ so many people in that town. GM is simply making more cars with less people. It really pleases the stock holders when GM can eliminate personell. Simple economics. Plus the local politicians didn't make sound decisions and that drove GM out.

Also, people stopped buying Buick LeSabres and started buying Trucks. So GM closed it's Buick plant in Flint and built a Truck engine plant. Other states and towns offered GM tax incentives to build there and Flint didn't grant anymore. You go where it's cheaper to build.

Lansing just built a brand new plant. 30 miles West of Flint. Lansing gave GM some HUGE tax breaks/incentives.

Don't listen to Michael Moore. He loves Flint so much he doesn't live there anymore. He is a film maker wanting to sell movies. He's not all he says he is.

I'll respond to bookStick and Karlg later. I am 5 minutes late leaving for work right now.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 02:10 PM

Ok so I don't suppose anyone has a Stick Blazer I can see?

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 02:23 PM

What does a new mechanic have to do with 3 alternators, a battery a year, etc.? Neither mechanics nor owner maintenance has anything to do with my '97 Pontiac GrandAm GT POS having cost me $3000 in the last three years for replacing parts which wore out prematurely! Front control arm busings are a known problem on these cars (I found that out after I bought it); the brakes wear out regularly at 20 - 25k; the alternator went at 74k; the AC compressor at 75k; rear shocks at 84k; intake manifold gaskets at 84k (another well documented problem); and various other minor problems! I maintain my cars better than most. This is my 19th car in 40 years of driving, and I have well over a million miles under my belt. I've never owned an import that's had these kinds of problems until they had well over 100k on them. As a matter of fact, I've never owned an import that's cost me anywhere near that kind of money, and two of them I drove in for a trade, one with 250k on it, and the other with 210K on it! I could have driven them another year, but I just wanted a new car.

Please answer this; how do you maintain a car so the alternator doesn't go out? How do you maintain a car so the AC compressor doesn't go out? How do you maintain a car so that the intake manifold gaskets don't regularly leak, causing oil to get into the crankcase? These are all signs of mediocre engineering design issues; the parts aren't made to last!

American cars have made advances in quality in the last decade; to say that their quality is amazing goes counter to everything that the automotive press and experience by drivers clearly shows.

BTW, I used to make a good living as an auto mechanic, so I know a little more than the average Joe on how to maintain my cars.
Stop buying chevy and start buying ford
Aloha

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Link:
No.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 02:45 PM

The only fords to have been known to have as many problems as your chevys are ford tempos
Aloha

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 02:59 PM

So i guess thats a no on the stick blazer then huh

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2004, 03:29 PM

The S-10 pickup transmission will fit, if you change the flywheel and install the pedal assembly.

Aso I think the computer is different.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 05:30 PM

Will fit? I'm not trying to swap my tranny, i'm thinking about buying a stick and i'd like to see what they look like as no one keeps stick blazers in stock.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 23, 2004, 06:26 PM

BooStick and KarlG:

I am sorry you guys had such trouble with GM cars. It thought about it and decided that I have no defense of GM to share. Sounds like you guys got a couple vehicles made on Thursday nights right after lunch on the day paychecks were handed out.

I have never heard of anyone having the types and amounts of troubles you have had with any cars of any type. Even 10 year old used cars. Better luck next time.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 23, 2004, 08:34 PM

The only fords to have been known to have as many problems as your chevys are ford tempos
Fine, ignore the Aerostar.

Aerostar had recalls for two reasons alone that rule it out as a vehicle I would want to be in the vicinty of on the road:

One, the heated driver's seat option malfunctioned and burned the driver's buttocks (and seat foam and cloth.)

Two, the sliding back passenger door falls off. Spontaeneously.

Some products are afflicted due to bad engineering. Chrysler products that I have owned were this way. New camshafts every 80k mi, and new transmissions with about twice that frequency. They may have gotten past those engineering errors, but I'll never give them a chance to prove it.

With regard to lemons, the same we say about Apple computers applies to vehicles. In any significantly complex assembled product, there is a statistically measurable number of products that will be problem products, despite manufacturing's best efforts to eliminate that possibility.

Shoot, I just had to replace a chip in a television set. TVs have been made for nearly 70 years, they ought to have them down pat by now. But no, the heatsink on the chipset wasn't mounted properly and the chip burnt up.

A one dollar chip (paid 5 plus 6 shipping because I wasn't making a minimum $50 order) and an hour of solder work later, the TV works again.

It happens. Fortunately it is rare.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

m_young
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 09:34 PM

from a local salvage site:

( Last edited by m_young; Apr 23, 2004 at 09:45 PM. )

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 09:39 PM

wow first on topic reply
thanks, thats what i was looking for, thats a pretty gnarly looking shifter, gnarly in a bad way. I'm not sure if i want one of those or not, BTW its 'img' not 'image'

thanks

m_young
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 09:47 PM

figured it out eventually... just had to take a poo break... and i'm sure you wanted to know that. oh, and you're welcome. i just remembered seeing it there not too long ago. the shifter reminds me of the one in my old 84 S-10. and thats not a good thing.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 09:49 PM

yeah it looks like, well,k a truck shifter... do i really wanna be driving that for the next 3 years? I don't know yet. I'll tell you though, so far the biggest factor against the stick is that i want a remote started, the blazer i have now has one, they are the best in teh winter.

m_young
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 09:53 PM

you could rig it up if you really wanted, you'd just have to remember to leave it out of gear. they're nice to have though, my friend has one, its pretty rad.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 09:59 PM

Yeah thats probably what ill do if i get one, i NEVER leave sticks in gear anyway, but everyone else does, and if my brother ever moves my truck for whatever reason and leaves it in gear, i'll be chasing my truck down the street!

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 10:19 PM

wow that IS a gnarly shifter! It should be all soft and leathery!

That sucks.. but hey you can always change it
Aloha

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 11:49 PM

Funny stuff! Actually, if you read the trade press, GM is making the best American cars right now. Ford is a distant second, and Chrysler we won't even talk about.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 23, 2004, 11:52 PM

Funny stuff! Actually, if you read the trade press, GM is making the best American cars right now. Ford is a distant second, and Chrysler we won't even talk about.
Not from what I have seen.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

he said right now, it's 2004

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 23, 2004, 11:59 PM

From what I seen, it's looking to be exactly the same. You cannot give out 2004 info when it's not even half way over.

That above is actually the most recent.

The market hasn't changed THAT much in 2 years. Either has the cars.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 12:00 AM

BooStick and KarlG:

I am sorry you guys had such trouble with GM cars. It thought about it and decided that I have no defense of GM to share. Sounds like you guys got a couple vehicles made on Thursday nights right after lunch on the day paychecks were handed out.

I have never heard of anyone having the types and amounts of troubles you have had with any cars of any type. Even 10 year old used cars. Better luck next time.
I'm sorry too. One of my daughters was a parts manager for a large independent repair shop, and the parts they always stocked were; intake manifold gaskets for the GM 3100 V6 (there are web sites that show how common these failing are), lots of pads and rotors for GM cars, front control arms and bushings, and alternators. She worked there for two years.

I doubt seriously all those cars were made on Thursday nights. As I said, I've owned both foreign and domestic, and every time I go back to a domestic vehicle, I have problems. The only American vehicle I would buy now would be a truck, and even that is now being challenged by Toyota, which has a sterling reputation for reliability.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 12:03 AM

From what I seen, it's looking to be exactly the same. You cannot give out 2004 info when it's not even half way over.

That above is actually the most recent.

The market hasn't changed THAT much in 2 years. Either has the cars.
They haven't had time to compile 2003 info?

I don't care what's the most reliable. I drive GM products, always have except for one Chrysler, It was a turbo Sundance I flipped, and one Suzuki - not a good choice living in the Mtns! Never (knock on wood) had a lemon, thankfully.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:05 AM

I havent found any 2003 info from that source no.

Chrysler is still a tad higher than both Ford and GM in the "list"

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 12:07 AM

wow i've never had a topic get so violently off topic so quickly.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 12:08 AM

[img]http://webpages.charter.net/zimphire/forums/reliability.png[img]
I recently had my Venture into the body shop to repair a small dent.

The body shop is at a Chrysler dealer by chance, and they gave me a 2003 PT Cruiser "Touring Edition" as a loaner. It had 6,300 miles on it, so I consider that basically new. Anyway, I can't believe anyone would EVER buy one of those things. It rides worse than my 2000 truck! It had horrible engine noise, very loud and buzzy. My back hurts from the seat being so uncomfortable. The vent direction knobs popped off in my hands. The gas cap lid is the cheapest thing I have ever seen on a toy car. The visors kept falling down. The speaker covers had injection mold lines like a G4 Cube. My leg rested against the door pocket in a very uncomfortable way. The cruise control looked completely out of place and looked like it was swapped out of a foreign car.

A single plus in it's favor: I got it up to 113 MPH (though, I was going downhill on the Zilwalkee Bridge). Still, 113 in that little 4 cylinder was pretty impressive. I just wonder with the other build quality problems how long that engine is going to last.

BACK ON TOPIC: Why do you want a manual transmission in a Chevy Blazer anyway? The auto has a higher towing capacity. And isn't nearly so ugly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules