Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > digital camera

digital camera
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2004, 03:37 PM

Im looking in to getting a digital camera. preferbebly 5megapixle and up.

Hear are my options
canon powershot g5
nikon coolpix 5200
casio exilim ex p600
sony dsc-v1
the new panasonic dmc fx7
and new sony
dsc-p150 which is 7megapixle.
Sony dsc t11
sony dsc f88
sony dsc t1
F810

Just based on specs which one do you think is the best.

Im really leaning twords the panasonic and fuji
( Last edited by yoyoman; Jul 29, 2004 at 01:31 AM. )

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2004, 04:03 PM

Go with the Canon PowerShot G5, it's an amazing camera. I'll also consider the Olympus C-770, it's a 4MP camera, but the quality is very good, plus it haves a very powerful zoom and it's very small. The G5 is the best camera if you want great picture quality, but it's a little big.
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2004, 04:19 PM

Have you tried the other cameras to make your decision.
I'm just curious because I have 4 people telling me they
have had bad problems with canon.
I don't want to plop down 400+ dollars to find out its crap.
I herd the panasonic one is supposdly really good for how thin it is.

snct
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2004, 05:17 PM

Another vote for the Canon G5. I have the PowerShot G1 and it's a great camera. Lots of options for all sorts of different shots and the quality is great (most people cant' believe it when I tell them the pictures came from a digital camera).

It is a bit on the heavy side, so if that's a consideration for you, possibly you should look at a smaller/lighter unit.
--Steve

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 05:18 PM

I traded optical zoom for Megapixels by buying the Canon S1 IS. The quality is excellent - the zoom fantastic (along with auto-macro function) and the photos look perfect on a 17" monitor.

I personally wouldn't buy a camera without at least 10x optical zoom. You might want to see one in action and consider it.
this sig intentionally left blank

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 05:45 PM

I love my Powershot G2.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 21, 2004, 06:15 PM

Specs are pointless. You need to choose a camera based on which one is best for you and what you plan to be doing with it.

Besides, specs leave out all sorts of things: actual image quality, ease of use, and other things that have a huge impact once you own it.

I suggest you read some reviews of the models in question (see www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com ), then go to camera shops and actually use them. THEN make a decision.

tooki

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2004, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the input.
I do read dpreview.
The panasonic is brand new so no reviews on it yet as well as the new sony 7megapixle.
Im thinking I want feature with small size.

If I wan't to go with something very nice I might as well get a slr cam or a phase one or something like that in the future.
But for now Im just looking for something small I can take any ware and just snap away with out being noticed.

I do think canon is a good product. To bad they don't have the g5 in siliver to match my power book. I would have loved to see that.

I will keep looking around and hopefully wait for the new 7megapixles to be out for the price drops on the 5 megapixles and 6 megapixles.

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
If I wan't to go with something very nice I might as well get a slr cam or a phase one or something like that in the future.
Don't. SLRs maybe coming down in price, but the lenses aren't, and they are very addicting (which means very expensive) Keep your sanity and stick with one of the Point-and-shoot digicams, otherwise you'll always be lusting after this or that lens, rather than focusing on picture taking.

I've got a Canon 300D, and I love it, but there are times where a little 5MP P&S digicam would be very nice, or where I question how much I spent on lenses and accessories.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2004, 01:03 PM

I recently got a Fuji 610. 6mp or 12mp interpolated. It's very compact. It's great in full auto mode, plus has lots of manual over ride options. And it's also pretty good in low light conditions too.
Took me ages to settle on this model..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 02:14 PM

Ya, it must be hard deciding between a Phase One back and a digicam...
I just got the Canon PowerShot S60. I love it. I think it's one of Canon's (and thereby all manufacturers') finest point-and-shoots.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
I recently got a Fuji 610. 6mp or 12mp interpolated. It's very compact. It's great in full auto mode, plus has lots of manual over ride options. And it's also pretty good in low light conditions too.
Took me ages to settle on this model..

sanyoalso does interpolating. sweet.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04...fx2fx7prev.asp

look hear for more reviews on the panasonic.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 09:08 PM

Interpolating is a bogus "feature". It doesn't give you any better pictures and you can always interpolate up later in an image editing app.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Interpolating is a bogus "feature". It doesn't give you any better pictures and you can always interpolate up later in an image editing app.
True; however, in my experience with fugi cameras they have always had great image quality. I have a finepix 4900 (I believe that is the model) and it was a very good camera in it's day.

Still, out of that list, I would be hard pressed not to recomend the G5 for price/performance ratio. It really is a great camera that is more than worth having. I am actually considering buying one sometime in the next year or so... but I may just go with a DSLR instead (Canon Digital Rebel or 10D).
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 05:40 AM

Canon > *.*

Get the G5. You won't be sorry.

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by fiesta cat:
Don't. SLRs maybe coming down in price, but the lenses aren't, and they are very addicting (which means very expensive) Keep your sanity and stick with one of the Point-and-shoot digicams, otherwise you'll always be lusting after this or that lens, rather than focusing on picture taking.

I've got a Canon 300D, and I love it, but there are times where a little 5MP P&S digicam would be very nice, or where I question how much I spent on lenses and accessories.
I have a 300D as well, and I would NEVER trade it for a point-and-shoot camera! I've got the kit lens, and a telephoto zoom lens...and for right now, that's enough for me. (I would like to get more lenses down the road, and I love how the camera has the option to do that.) The camera is more versatile than any point-and-shoot camera could be, and takes INCREDIBLE pictures. Also...when you buy an SLR camera, you're not really buying it so much for the camera body, as you are for the camera system. You'll never find a fixed lens digital camera with the optical zoom capabilities of an SLR, unless you start spending upwards of $800-1,000...and then you're still stuck with one lens. (And at that point you're wasting your money, imo.) What's nice with having the SLR, is that all the lenses, and accessories you buy along the way...you can use on the next camera body you purchase down the road, so you're not starting all over.

If you've got the money...I would definately go Digital SLR over point-and-shot. Much more versatile, and much more rewarding.
( Last edited by Minty Fresh; Jul 24, 2004 at 05:53 AM. )

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 03:22 PM

D70. Very nice DSLR. The lens which come with it are pretty good too. Expensive, but worth every penny.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 04:11 PM

I've had good experiences with Canon. I love my EOS 10D.

mbryda
Senior User
Jul 24, 2004, 07:15 PM

Another vote for Canon. Love my 10d and my SD110 (and my Elan 2e, which got me into the EOS system).

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 08:22 PM

I love my D70 and the kit lens is actually pretty good here's a snap shot I took today..

larger: http://homepage.mac.com/davidflas/.P...Lily_large.jpg
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2004, 01:53 PM

wow nice. How many megapixles is ur ikon again.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
wow nice. How many megapixles is ur ikon again.

The Nikon D70 is (only) 6.1 Megapixels
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 06:42 PM

Here's some shots from my Canon 300D (Digital Rebel).

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 02:12 AM

I'm lookin http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04...ixf810zoom.asp here and it says 6.2megapixle. It's two 3.1 chips combined, looking at the specs to the older version the 710. Does that mean its bad quality loss or is it like the g5 with duel chips it doesn't matter since the os is optomized for duel cpus? U think that is how the cameras are optomized for 2 chips to act like one. I like that 4x optical feature and raw. Im down to eather panasonic or this one. Now I don't know if this one is 2 chips or one actual 6.2 megapixle super ccd.

Now what is this super ccd they are talking about.

ALso this one can have lenses changble.
( Last edited by yoyoman; Jul 29, 2004 at 02:45 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 29, 2004, 01:15 PM

Yoyoman, could you please make the tiniest effort to write intelligibly? Proper spelling (no typos or text-messaging abbreviations), proper sentences with articles, etc.

thanks
tooki

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2004, 04:40 PM

"Based on specs"? Hogwash.

What are you using this camera for?
Point-and-shoot snapshots with the family?
A budding or well-developed artistic interest?
Weddings? Hiking trips? Landscapes? Flowers?
Do you know your way around an F-stop?

Which is more important -- portability, or manual controls?
Do you want or need interchangable lenses?

Will you share these digitally only, or will you be making prints? What size prints, and how often?

Answer these questions, then we begin to approach the question of what camera will suit you best.

P.S., I have the Powershot S1 IS, for absolutely great snapshots, with the zoom providing just the photo I want, without cropping.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 06:21 PM

Thanks for your questions.

I would like to have at least 4x optical zoom.
I will be doing tones of hiking and lots of night shots.
I Hope to take tones of family gettogether pictures with a family of like 18+ of uncles aunts and cousions put together.
I do want a little of portabality and quality which why I was looking at the f810.

It has a 4x zoom yet its still failry small and has two 3.1ccd chips for a total of 6.3.

I want a wide range from outdoors to indoors of auto shows with detail to those odd end paint jobs.

Few fast shutter speed for racing bikes cars running etc.

Yes I will print 8x11 and maybe bigger eventually.

As for interchangable lenses I may look in to the future with that. I know some low end fuji have them not to sure about the f810. Night vision would be a nice feature I suppose.
I do use photoshop so I can do some editing on there so I not to worried about a perfect shot.

Also a thing im very picky sorry but I need it to match my power book with the metel look/siliver. I know ton of cams now are having that option. Is that discriptive enough to get a feel for what I want?

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2004, 04:02 AM

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04...icfz20prev.asp

this is the one. All the reviews i read said the version 10 was amazing. 12x optical wow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules