Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question about 4G iPod networking (Mac to PC)

Question about 4G iPod networking (Mac to PC)
Flach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 12:08 PM

Hey everyone,

I recently just upgraded to a 4G iPod, which so far I'm very happy with, I also just built my own PC, which so far, seems to be a few more problems than it's worth. Anyways, I've been using Mac's basically my entire life and have about 16gb of music stored on both my macintosh computer as well as my iPod.

My main question is this:

Is there a way for me to hook my Mac formatted 4G iPod into my PC (which has firewire) and transfer all of the songs to the PC without it having to re-format the iPod first?

and if that is not possible

What is the best way to transfer this music from my Mac to my PC?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Ryan

snct
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2004, 12:16 PM

According to Apple, no... There is no way to hook up a loaded iPod and just transfer the songs to your PC from there (Apple's DRM to protect you from yourself ).

I don't know, however, if there's a third party solution/hack for this though. Anyone else?
--Steve

Flach  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2004, 05:12 PM

Well, in case anyone else is wondering how to do this, it's actually pretty simple, and if you only need to transfer files once or only for about 2 weeks the program XPlay 2 is the way to go. I used that program as well as iPod Utility (which I found through versiontracker.com) to get everything moved over, all of it worked flawlessly.

I don't have the links for either right now, but doing a search in google for XPlay brought it right up for me.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 09:04 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules