Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > G5 suddenly freezes. Only hard restart fixes it.

G5 suddenly freezes. Only hard restart fixes it.
tuqqer
Oct 9, 2004, 09:36 AM

Each day, for the past week, at least once a day, I'm experiencing the following on my G5 2Ghz, os10.3.5, with 2.5 gigs of RAM:
I suddenly hear my G5's fans kick in, as they normally sound whenver there's a lot of CPU activity. Immediately following this, I'm not able to click on anything. I can continue to move the mouse around, but nothing else works, no keyboard keys. Not Force-quitting apps, nothing. I've tried leaving everything on for a full half hour, still nothing. I've also tried unplugging every USB and Firewire device for a few minutes, and then replugging them back in. My only fix is to hold down the power button on the front of the G5 for a few seconds until it closes down, and then restarting.

I've run Disk Warrior, and all of the tools available in the latest Onyx. I haven't tried Tech Tools yet (wanted to check here first).

Any ideas? I've asked around and haven't heard this behavior from anyone.

If it helps at all, here is some of the System Profile info on my Mac setup:

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.4f0

All of my Memory are as follows:

DDR SDRAM PC3200U-30330
(two 256s, and four 512s)
Leopard 10.5.x •• 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 7 Gigs RAM •• dual 20 Samsung LCDs •• MacBook Core Duo 13" 2Ghz White

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 09:59 AM

Timan
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2004, 12:20 PM

by any chance are you using Tomato Torrent, during these freezes? on my iMac G5, if I leave that program running for more than an hour my iMac does exactly what you said.
- Tim

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2004, 12:34 PM

I was getting this problem for a while and I wiped my drive and reinstalled everything. It is a pain in the rear end, but it fixed the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules