Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > HELP, I broke my cube :(

HELP, I broke my cube :(
BBlade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2001, 08:34 PM

My son knocked my G4 cube off the table and onto the hard floor while it was on! (Whaaa!!!) I restarted it and it booted up ok. I even logged onto the Internet and checked my mail.

When I tried to open a PDF attachment from a new email, I got a message saying it couldn't find Acrobat Reader.

I went directly to my Apps folder and launched Acrobat Reader. It hung while trying to open. I could still move my mouse. Tried force quit and was forced to reboot by pressing the button on the cube.

Now, when it tries to boot up, it stalls because it can't find the System folder.

I tried booting from a Norton CD, but the CD drive appears to no longer be getting power because it will not try to pull the CD in.

I opened up the cube, but I can't see anything broken or unplugged.

I can hear the hard drive spinning up when I turn the Mac on.

I've been servicing Macs for years, but I don't have a Service Source CD that has the G4 cubes in it.

Has this happened to anyone before or can anyone make any suggestions on how I can go about fixing this, short of taking it a Mac repair center????

Thanks for any help!
Some days your the dog, and some days your the hydrant...

Nick
Sep 1, 2001, 09:56 PM

It's very possible your HD is wrecked. But i doubt anything else has broken. Maybe you could run some sort of disc util from a CD?

BBlade  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2001, 10:01 PM

That was the first thing I tried to do, but the CD drive will not take the CD in. I can shove it in (it's slot loading) but it acts as if there is no power going to the CD drive.
Some days your the dog, and some days your the hydrant...

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2001, 10:49 PM

Uh oh... sounds like HDD and CD have problems. I think the cube needs a visit to apple...

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2001, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by Hornet:
<STRONG>Uh oh... sounds like HDD and CD have problems. I think the cube needs a visit to apple...</STRONG>
You should be able to replace them both yourself. You shouldn't be out more than $200.
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride. Damnedest thing I ever saw."

Cubester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2001, 12:05 PM

I know it's a long shot, but have you got an external CD drive - either Firewire or USB? You might be able to boot from there and find out how badly your HD is damaged. Sounds like you may need to replace it. Is it under warranty? Send it back to Apple.

<BBlade>
Sep 4, 2001, 02:13 PM

UPDATE! Thanks for the comments.

I pulled the drive this weekend and put it in another Mac as a second drive. Bingo! I was able to copy my data off the drive onto another one. There were only two files I couldn't get due to disk error, but they were not important.

I deleted the Finder Prefs.

I put the drive back in the Cube and it booted up successfully.

Well at least I have my data A harsh reminder for backing up your drive regularly!

Do it before some freak accident happens to you...

Forum Links
Forum Rules