Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB G4 17' 1.67, should I get this one?

PB G4 17' 1.67, should I get this one?
maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2007, 08:26 PM

I have an offer for a the above PB for $800, the specs are super drive, 1GB memory, 100 GB HD, etc. with apple care included till june 2008. I've been thinking to upgrade my old rev B PB 12 to Macbook pro but the budget isn't there yet, do you guys think it's a good buy? I probably can get it for $750 or even lower as the seller wants me to make an offer (but no low ball offcourse). Thanks for any input!.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2007, 09:01 PM

a 17" is a huge step up from any 12" when it comes to lugging around (i myself find the 15" mbp a huge burden to carry around as opposed to my old 12"). it might be a good 'hold-me-over' but if it were me...unless i needed the screen real estate or gpu for something, i'd stick with my 12". pretty decent price though.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2007, 09:10 PM

From a cpu perspective you're still dealing with a G4, which not a bad thing but the future is with intel so it makes more sense to save up and get a macbook pro

maxx9photo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2007, 09:26 PM

God, He now wants to sell it $700 and I haven't make an offer yet, oh well I guess I have to see it first before I make any decision.. btw it's true lugging around this beast is no fun, I'm sticking with my 12 and this would be my desktop sort of.

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2007, 12:32 AM

Check Apple's refurb site (there's a link in my iSwitched lens). You may find comparable machines there and be able to compare prices.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 05:17 AM

Geez.. good price. I just paid $1200 for one... (dang it!)

rjt1000
Senior User
Jun 25, 2007, 10:01 AM

Doing a quick check of completed auctions on eBay, the 17 inch 1.67ghz PB's fetch from about $1000 to as much as $1500 (except for a couple of machines that were defective). So, the price you were quoted is very low. Is the seller someone you know and trust?

If its your friend, you might let him know he could get lots more on eBay. If not, and you decide to go for it yourself, I would fully test it to make sure it is in good working order (maybe bring it to a local Apple store and ask them to look it over), make sure it doesnt have dents that might endanger its Applecare coverage, check its serial number with Applecare and against stolen laptop databases, and, if everything checks out, buy it. After using it for a while, if you dont like it, you should be able to make about 50% on your investment.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 11:09 AM

It's a great machine - not a speed demon compared with the new intels, but plenty fast enough for basic office. The price looks very good though, you might, as others have suggested, do due diligence on the providence and providence.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2007, 11:17 AM

For $700 I suggest you buy it. I use the 1.67ghz G4 17" PowerBook as my primary computer and it is not slow. If you find that it is too slow for you, you can always sell it on eBay for around $1000.

powerbooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2007, 01:12 PM

Also worth to remember, the 1.67GHz HD Powerbooks are the last generation of mac laptop which can boot off classical OS 9......

maxx9photo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2007, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the advice folks, I met the person and truly it's nice laptop but as per rjt100 mentioned that if it has dent than it would cost me the applecare and it does has little dent right by dvd drive area on the bottom, aside from that it performs flawlessly. I still have couple of days to give the seller my final words but all in all I'm toward buying this.

jtrwallace
Jun 25, 2007, 11:51 PM

well, he is really selling that computer for a low price. I just sold my 15" 1.67GHZ 1.5 GB ram 80GB hard drive on ebay for 1050. It made me sad to sell it but it was a 1000 dollar down payment on the computer im typing this with now: high end 15" MBP. I would say, since I don't actually take my computer with me many places, that I would have liked the 17". The weight is not *that heavy. I mean, I have a thick, heavy briefcase and I put my 15", a LaCie hard drive, my power cable, cables for the hard drive, and my notebook and I seem to manage. I think most people can't handle all that

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2007, 12:42 AM

I've got a last rev. 12" pb with 1.25 gb Ram and Superdrive up on ebay for $750. It is posted in the marketplace forum if anyone is interested...still has applecare on it!
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by praterkeith View Post
I've got a last rev. 12" pb with 1.25 gb Ram and Superdrive up on ebay for $750. It is posted in the marketplace forum if anyone is interested...still has applecare on it!
I just don't see how that has anything to do with this thread... or how this thread helps you.. because in essence, you're selling a slower 12" pb for MORE than the faster 17" pb that this thread is talking about.

It's kinda like if we were talking about someone possibly buying an 80GB iPod video for $200 and you came around saying, "hey all, I've got a 40GB iPod photo for $220 for sale!"

bgriffing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 12:03 PM

If you are worried about the screen size, i have a powerbook g4 1.5ghz/2g ram.80g HD.adobe suite cs/final cut pro/microsoft office 2004 and other programs i could include. This model is 15inch and in mint condition. If you are hesitant about the screen size i would be willing to trade you. I have put money into this computer and since your only paying 700 for a 17inch model i would have to say that a straight trade is fair since you are paying less then what i would sell this computer. i have other computers so if this interests you talk to me, if not then thats ok.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 26, 2007, 12:09 PM

If you are worried about the screen size, i have a powerbook g4 1.5ghz/2g ram.80g HD.adobe suite cs/final cut pro/microsoft office 2004 and other programs i could include. This model is 15inch and in mint condition. If you are hesitant about the screen size i would be willing to trade you. I have put money into this computer and since your only paying 700 for a 17inch model i would have to say that a straight trade is fair since you are paying less then what i would sell this computer. i have other computers so if this interests you talk to me, if not then thats ok.
Translation: I wouldn't mind benefitting from your lucky cheap 17" situation if you're game?

bgriffing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 03:08 PM

jonomarshall, haha in a way. I am perfectly content with my machine, and dont mind the size of a 17" lcd. so if it is a problem for him i was offereing a smaller computer with more programs on it, for the same price. If hes not interested im not to worried i have no intentions on selling this computer just trying to offer out something he might be looking for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules