Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I have WWDC Leopard... feel free to ask questions...

I have WWDC Leopard... feel free to ask questions... (Page 5)
Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 03:49 PM

oh an neat 'touch' I forgot, and haven't seen mentioned anywhere else.
the 'right click' contextual menu has a 'open URL' option in it, working like the one on Tiger's Services menu.
And here is the print dialogue monkeybrain was asking for.

This is much improved the preview is a nice touch, and you can access ALL the driver options when linking to a Bonjour printer.

The PDF button now has useful 'workflows' built in, I expecially like the 'to Web Receipts Folder' one.
Most of the old Printer Setup Utility app has now been rolled in to the pref pane.
Adding printers is now lots slicker, Ooh look the old Apple logo on the Apple Talk icon, and a dedicated 'Windows' setup icon.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Jul 4, 2007 at 05:38 PM. )

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Can iCal and Address Book remind you of birthdays now?
You can do this already....if I understand you correctly.

OreoCookie
Jul 4, 2007, 04:51 PM

I think TETENAL is thinking of real reminders, not just that birthdays show up automatically in iCal.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jtrwallace
Jul 4, 2007, 05:22 PM

THANKS --erik-- for the space bar thing. I'm pretty stupid. Also, it sucks that webclip doesnt work for you. It worked for me on the first try, I just did the same thing Jobs did in the keynote: selected the front page thing on Yahoo! and gave it a boarder. Works perfectly.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 06:17 PM

Yup, although Address Book will add the events to your calendar, it won't add any alarms for the events - does Leopard allow you to add an alarm or alarms to the the Birthday calendar events?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 12:15 AM

Love the new print dialogue! Is that a little touch of image refraction behind that dialogue windows I spy, à la Vista? Nice, Apple. And I'm loving the rounded corner drop menus. There's a little bit of gradient and depth going on in the menu selections, too! Gooood stuff.

Also those Leopard popup menu buttons look to be a little more tightly squared (a little less rounded) and sharper at the corners. Hawt.

DogGone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
is anyone using Leopard as their main OS on their main machine?
if so any notable quirjs and or issues?
i am running it on my main mac. currently very happy.
Overall very impressed. Every app I've used works. No noticeable loss in performance. Just need any bugs squashed IMHO.

Had a problem with a PCI SATA card. Caused a KP on start up. Couldn't install on G4 with upgraded processor. Finally installed onto FW drive. Dragged SATA Kext pref file into library which prevented the KP.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
Love the new print dialogue! Is that a little touch of image refraction behind that dialogue windows I spy, à la Vista?
Um... no, that is something that has been in OS X since 10.0

Edit: Nevermind... you meant the Print dialogue sheet, not the menu.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
The PDF button now has useful 'workflows' built in, I expecially like the 'to Web Receipts Folder' one.
I hate to break it to you, but those workflows are already part of Tiger.

In addition I also have Compress PDF and Encrypt PDF.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 06:01 AM

I love way everything is spring loaded in the dock, you can grab a selection of text in mail, drag it over a minimized text edit window (or just the app icon with no docs open) and drop it straight in to the window, it also automatically assigns the window you dragged the text into, to the same workspace as the place you dragged the text from.

Very smart, I'm sure there is more to discover.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Yup, although Address Book will add the events to your calendar, it won't add any alarms for the events - does Leopard allow you to add an alarm or alarms to the the Birthday calendar events?
Yes, answer this question! ANSWER IT! You promised to answer all questions about Leopard, so don't skip this one!

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 08:25 AM

Hence the suggestion about skinning or coloring the dialog. Listen the current dialogs offer no ability to resize view fonts personally they are WAY WAY to HUGE for me id prefer Optima size 10 not lucida grande size 13, the primitive list view offers only name and date modified columns, that alone is just pathetic. IMO Dialogs should provide the same level of view options as regular Finder windows. I personally hate the Finder, its POS that has had no love for years, If there was a 3rd party Open/Save dialog hack like there was in OS classic days id use it. Currently im using Path Finder its too bad Apple don't allow us to drop it in as a replacement for the POS they seem to never be able to improve.

Maybe you just misunderstood me, simply i think the dialogs need far more view options available, the same if not more than the command+J view options available in the Finder. Sorry if wasn't clear enough.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 08:28 AM

Hence the suggestion about skinning or coloring the dialog. Listen the current dialogs offer no ability to resize view fonts or types or italics boldness or even alternate colored rows. Personally the fonts they use are WAY WAY to HUGE for me, id prefer Optima size 10, not lucida grande size 13 i mean what is this 1995 800x600 display resolution font sizes hahaha, the primitive list view offers only name and date modified columns, that alone is just pathetic. IMO Dialogs should provide the same level of view options as regular Finder windows. I personally hate the Finder, its POS that has had no love for years, If there was a 3rd party Open/Save dialog hack like there was in OS classic days id use it. Currently im using Path Finder its too bad Apple don't allow us to drop it in as a replacement for the POS they seem to never be able to improve.

Maybe you just misunderstood me, simply i think the dialogs need far more view options available, the same if not more than the command+J view options available in the Finder. Sorry if wasn't clear enough.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
No. Unless Apple radically redefines the open/save paradigm, that's a lousy idea. Open/Save dialogs and Finder windows have different purposes and different semantics, and confusing the two will just lead to confusion.
Hence the suggestion about skinning or coloring the dialog. Listen the current dialogs offer no ability to resize view fonts or types or italics boldness or even alternate colored rows. Personally the fonts they use are WAY WAY to HUGE for me, id prefer Optima size 10, not lucida grande size 13 i mean what is this 1995 800x600 display resolution font sizes hahaha, the primitive list view offers only name and date modified columns, that alone is just pathetic. IMO Dialogs should provide the same level of view options as regular Finder windows. I personally hate the Finder, its POS that has had no love for years, If there was a 3rd party Open/Save dialog hack like there was in OS classic days id use it. Currently im using Path Finder its too bad Apple don't allow us to drop it in as a replacement for the POS they seem to never be able to improve.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 08:35 AM

No. Unless Apple radically redefines the open/save paradigm, that's a lousy idea. Open/Save dialogs and Finder windows have different purposes and different semantics, and confusing the two will just lead to confusion.
Hence the suggestion about skinning or coloring the dialog. Listen the current dialogs offer no ability to resize view fonts or types or italics boldness or even alternate colored rows. Personally the fonts they use are WAY WAY to HUGE for me, id prefer Optima size 10, not lucida grande size 13 i mean what is this 1995 800x600 display resolution font sizes hahaha, the primitive list view offers only name and date modified columns, that alone is just pathetic. IMO Dialogs should provide the same level of view options as regular Finder windows. I personally hate the Finder, its PØS that has had no love for years, If there was a 3rd party Open/Save dialog hack like there was in ØS classic days id use it. Currently im using Path Finder its too bad Apple don't allow us to drop it in as a replacement for the PØS they seem to never be able to improve.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 08:58 AM

I suppose the same crappy, uninformative, and minimally customizable Open/Save dialogs are still in Leopard? Open/Save dialogs in every Mac OS has always been a weak point for me which never seems to be attended to. Sure Navigation Services in Mac OS 8.5 finally gave us movable/resizable dialogs but other than that precious little, if anything actually been enhanced or changed to this day. I don't think there is anything particularly good about the open/save dialogs, I'm not going to bother listing all the bad points , many here have are very familiar with them. Suffice it so say, an Open/Save dialog should be just like any other Finder window with all its customizable view options, but to differentiate a regular Finder window from a Open save dialog for those who can't figure out the difference a simple solution such as designing the Open/Save dialog with a different color theme. Eg now that Leopard is apparently, FINALLY standardizing on one unified theme system wide they could easily just make Open/Save Dialogs white Aqua.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 09:01 AM

Oh and another thing about the Retard oops Leopard Finder, far too many ppl on the 3 w's are banging on about the Finder being totally re-written (like they always do every major OS upgrade time) and is now Cocoa. Well, it hasn't been totally re-written and its still Carbon.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Targon View Post
Suffice it so say, an Open/Save dialog should be just like any other Finder window with all its customizable view options, but to differentiate a regular Finder window from a Open save dialog for those who can't figure out the difference a simple solution such as designing the Open/Save dialog with a different color theme.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 09:50 AM

screen sharing works wonderfully, just like Remote Desktop, I only wish you could drag and drop files into the screen.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 09:59 AM

wha tha ? this forum is frelled !!! yeah i sure did add the same post 4 time ..in the wrong sequence ...baha database wigged methinx

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Um... no, that is something that has been in OS X since 10.0

Edit: Nevermind... you meant the Print dialogue sheet, not the menu.
I did mean the menu, but also that it is using some CoreImage (I guess) action to refract (or blur, like Vista uses on all of its Windows, yuck) everything behind it as though it were a piece of glass (or plastic, or what-have-you). Very cool. But it doesn't appear to be that way on regular menus, which are just slightly transparent. I dropped the brightness and blew out the contrast so you can see how everything that's behind the dialogue is blurred:

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
screen sharing works wonderfully, just like Remote Desktop, I only wish you could drag and drop files into the screen.
Does it function all throughout the Finder. Like can you connect to a machine to use its screen, or is this only in iChat?

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2007, 02:50 PM

I'm really liking the new slightly more transparent menus - just the right level so that you notice it, but not so much that what's behind it interferes. The rounded bottoms are also a neat touch, although the blue highlight on a moused-over menu item is now noticeably less than the full line height, which takes a little getting used to.

Most of the programs I've used so far work - Camino, Adium, Bean, Clutter, Colloquy, Cyberduck, and Processing all work fine. However, GIMP crashes on startup after X11 loads, no matter how many times I try it. The real test will be the heavy-duty apps (CS3 Suite, Painter X), though.

Two more minor things - no more warning dialogs for changing a file suffix or for emptying the trash!

Spaces is fantastic - I've used VirtueDesktop, and not been too impressed, but Spaces is much easier to use. Dragging application windows between spaces is a cinch, and you can bind oft-used applications to all spaces, so their windows will folllow you around automatically. It'll definitely make working in Flash, Photoshop, and Painter all at once much easier.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 07:07 PM

Does it function all throughout the Finder. Like can you connect to a machine to use its screen, or is this only in iChat?
Yes, in the finder you click on the computer you want to control in the shared panel of the sidebar, it launches an app called "Screen Sharing" and the other computers screen appears on yours, its like a cut down version of remote desktop, the only toolbar functions are to suck and push the clipboard contents and to appear scaled or actual size.

Its quick, the whole thing happens in under a second and with two clicks, once in use it is no faster or slower than remote desktop.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 07:54 PM

Awesome.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 10:56 PM

Sorry if someone has mentioned this but has Apple done away with that annoying beachball or was it replaced with a more pleasing waiting cursor?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Sorry if someone has mentioned this but has Apple done away with that annoying beachball or was it replaced with a more pleasing waiting cursor?
Beachball is the same. What's unpleasant about it apart from the aggravation of seeing it too often?

jtrwallace
Jul 6, 2007, 12:00 AM

i use the unsanity haxie mighty mouse and my arrow pulsates with different shades of blue instead of the spinning beach ball.... much more soothing

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 12:03 AM

As a fairly recent comer from the Windows world (about a year and a half now), I always envied the beachball. It's far more attractive than the Windows pre-Vista hourglass. People just don't like it because of what it represents: a hanging app. If they replaced it with something else, the new cursor would become just as irritating. It's a psychological thing: we hate the situation that the cursor represents, so we come to hate the cursor itself.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Beachball is the same. What's unpleasant about it apart from the aggravation of seeing it too often?
TheoCryst said it best. I don't care that the waiting cursor comes up. Maybe it's just me but the beachball has always gave the look of the computer giving up vs. showing that it's processing. It's annoying to me. Believe it or not I actually like the hour glass and Vista's new waiting cursor. I don't like or use Windows so don't get the wrong idea it's just that Apple needs to change the cursor. I have used Unsanity's haxies but it would be great if Apple gave a choice of options for the mouse and waiting cursor. I liked when Apple used to use the stopwatch for the waiting cursor.

DogGone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 01:05 AM

The rotating circle seems less annoying to me. I've seen it with the mac start up and in web and regular apps.
To me it shows the system is working rather than the beachball hanging.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2007, 01:13 AM

I think the problem with the beachball is that it doesn't give any feeling of progress. With a watch or hourglass, you get a feeling like, "Oh, something is going on. It's counting down to something." With the beachball, the impression is more like, "Damn, my computer is just spinning its wheels." I know that I find the beachball more psychologically frustrating than either the hourglass or the stopwatch.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2007, 01:16 AM

TheoCryst said it best.
Well, he basically just repeated my point with more words and eloquence. I guess that's what you mean by best

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 01:29 AM

What should have happened at the WWDC Stevenote:

Steve: And that's our iPhone development solution!
(The eerie silence of thousands of developers realizing they've been had)
Steve: Oh, and one very very last thing...
(The sound of thousands praying Steve was joking about the AJAX "iPhone SDK)
Steve: We've saved this most important announcement for last. Trust me, this is going to blow you away.
(The sound of thousands shifting to the edge of their seats in expectation)
Steve: The rainbow cursor!
(The screen behind Steve changes to show the beachball of doom in 20 ft high spinning glory)
Steve: The rainbow cursor has guided you through seven years of waiting: waiting for finder to connect to that external server; waiting for your system to start up; waiting for Final Cut Pro or Motion or Photoshop to get through the splash screen; waiting for your system to get through that random inexplicable hang-up. Well, the rainbow cursor has done it's job. Today, we're introducing the most secretest top-secret feature of Leopard.
(The screen behind Steve changes to show a gigantic multicolored spinning hourglass)
Steve: Boom!!
(The sound of thousands of angry developers gathering their pitchforks and torches)
Steve: No, wait guys, you don't understand! This is a revolution! See how it's all pretty-colored? And spinning? Guys?

Really, the rainbow cursor does its job, and does it well. It tells you an application is busy, and is pretty to look at in the mean time. Why waste man-hours to change it?

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 01:53 AM

I think the problem with the beachball is that it doesn't give any feeling of progress. With a watch or hourglass, you get a feeling like, "Oh, something is going on. It's counting down to something." With the beachball, the impression is more like, "Damn, my computer is just spinning its wheels." I know that I find the beachball more psychologically frustrating than either the hourglass or the stopwatch.
Thank you! I'm glad somebody understands what I mean. For a moment I thought I was the only one. If Apple is going to make all these new UI changes that's one of the things that should be changed. Even when the Mac starts up and when Safari is surfing to a web page that little spinning circle is much cooler. The small changes in the UI make the difference. Funny, the first editions of Mac OS X were actually using a spinning CD which was cool and then it was changed to what resembles more of a beachball.

P
Jul 6, 2007, 03:57 AM

The beachball is a very busy cursor - it seems to be spinning quite fast, with a very short cycle of repetition. The old wristwatch moved slower, the two hands moves more or less like they do on a clock, etc. The hourglass has a very minor animation in that sand is running through it, and the only major one is the flipping which happens more seldom. Of course it's psychology, but I think the slower two-step animation of wristwatch or hourglass is more soothing.

PaperNotes
Jul 6, 2007, 04:00 AM

I did mean the menu, but also that it is using some CoreImage (I guess) action to refract (or blur, like Vista uses on all of its Windows, yuck) everything behind it as though it were a piece of glass (or plastic, or what-have-you). Very cool. But it doesn't appear to be that way on regular menus, which are just slightly transparent.
CoreImage effects aren't completed. Right now my graphics card (Geforce FX 5200) doesn't support it in the print dialog. My GPU does support CoreImage and blur effects but it is not happening at this stage. What graphics card do you have?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 04:16 AM

Mine is just a 20" first gen Intel iMac, Does anyone know of a extensive CoreImage demo so I can see how well it works with it?
Re: the Beachball. The old OS9 Watch is still hanging in there, it popped up in Safari while trying to submit the post with the image at the top of this page.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 04:33 AM

One annoying thing about Stacks - if your dock is set to auto-hide, and you drag something (say, a file you wanted to delete) out of the Stack, the dock will hide itself and not come back, even if you mouse over the side where the dock is supposed to be.

So, to delete something from a Stack, you need to either 1) open the Stack, click the "show in finder" button, and delete it from the finder window, or 2) open the Stack, drag the item in question from the Stack to the desktop, then drag again from the desktop to the trash. Very convoluted.

This also happens whilst attempting to drag an application from an Applications Stack to keep it on the dock. I hope this is resolved before October, since I've only been using Leopard for a couple of hours, and this has bugged me multiple times already.

PaperNotes
Jul 6, 2007, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
Mine is just a 20" first gen Intel iMac, Does anyone know of a extensive CoreImage demo so I can see how well it works with it?
So you have a 128MB X1600. Try CoreImage Funhouse effects. It's installed with the Developer Tools.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 07:44 AM

Awesome.

One more good thing is that multiple users on the same machine can have the app open and accessing the same or different machines, this is a big step up from remote desktop which refused to launch if already running on the same machine with another user.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
CoreImage effects aren't completed. Right now my graphics card (Geforce FX 5200) doesn't support it in the print dialog. My GPU does support CoreImage and blur effects but it is not happening at this stage. What graphics card do you have?
I don't have Leopard—I just took that image from Mediaman_12 to point out the effect going on. Not sure what graphics card he's packin'.

Sounds like stacks have a ways to go. I really hope they don't ship it with those quirks and awkward bits of functionality. And fingers crossed for a horizontal stack spread before launch!

xmattingly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by jtrwallace
Oh, another thing that sucks, is I thought that quicklook would work just by clicking on the thing in coverflow view. it doesnt. you have to press the quicklook button on the toolbar in finder or do command+Y. if you double click the item in coverflow it obviously opens the program or respective program but i feel like a one click should do quicklook. Otherwise, quicklook is awesome.
*cough* Try the space bar
Some of us would probably prefer to use the space bar the way we have been for years: to quickly cruise through spring-loaded folders. Is there any way to turn off that key command for Quick Look, and/or turn it back on for spring-loaded folders? I'm a little surprised noone has asked about this before... personally I'll be a little pissed if Apple plays favorites to something that gives you less benefits.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by xmattingly View Post
Some of us would probably prefer to use the space bar the way we have been for years: to quickly cruise through spring-loaded folders. Is there any way to turn off that key command for Quick Look, and/or turn it back on for spring-loaded folders? I'm a little surprised noone has asked about this before... personally I'll be a little pissed if Apple plays favorites to something that gives you less benefits.
Don't get your panties in a bunch. Despite my earlier concerns, it actually works with both spring loaded folder navigation AND quick look.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 12:24 PM

I am so loving spaces, it very iPhoneish to click on an app and it slides into a new area.

xmattingly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 01:16 PM

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Despite my earlier concerns, it actually works with both spring loaded folder navigation AND quick look.
Thanks for the answer, smart ass. My next question would be if there is a quick way to get out of the Quick Look view window (as opposed to clicking the "X" in the corner)? I couldn't quite tell from Apple's video demo.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 07:25 PM

The aforementioned space bar does the trick, from any Finder view (not just Cover Flow).

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by xmattingly View Post
Thanks for the answer, smart ass. My next question would be if there is a quick way to get out of the Quick Look view window (as opposed to clicking the "X" in the corner)? I couldn't quite tell from Apple's video demo.
Smart ass? I didn't even mention the million ways QL is more convenient than being able to quickly spring-load folders. I would gladly have given up the latter - except we don't have to, because space bar works for both.

Yes. Space bar again will bring you out of QL.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2007, 09:36 PM

Do iCal and Address Book allow birthday reminders in Leopard now? As far as I can see this question has not yet been answered.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 09:58 PM

Nope, can't add alarms to birthdays. Editing an iCal event does this freaky pop-out thing though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules