Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube owners, our OWN picture thread!

Cube owners, our OWN picture thread!
cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 3, 2001, 10:27 AM

So tower owners don't have all the fun , post your G4 Cube images here.

My setup: desk, closeup

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2001, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by cube-dude:
[QB]So tower owners don't have all the fun, post your G4 Cube images here.
Heynow! Cube on the way! They're near gone I believe but stumbled onto one today. Got a radeon card from outpost while I was at it.
--
jazzed

Tristrami
Senior User
Aug 3, 2001, 01:54 PM

Wow. Can we post pictures of our eMates, Newtons and TAMs here too?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2001, 02:19 PM

nice pic. dont diss the sybe ppl. remember the newton ?....5 years from now, u will see cube look-alikes everywhere.
truely a great computer. marketing, pricing and bad economical climate contributed to it's downfall, but that dosent diminish it's appeal.
look forward to seeing more pics of the cube.

Cheers

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2001, 04:55 PM

My Router, Scanner, CD burner, Zip and ORB drive are all on the green shelf on the right.

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

el matteo
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2001, 05:10 PM

Well they're almost a year old, and my setup is a lot different these days, but here's the pics I took when I first got my cube.
http://homepage.mac.com/elmatteo/PhotoAlbum.html

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2001, 01:21 PM

Ah, just love that feeling of opening new Apple hardware boxes

Tom

toshi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2001, 02:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
[QB]My Router, Scanner, CD burner, Zip and ORB drive are all on the green shelf on the right.

What a pretty setup

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2001, 04:11 PM

"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride. Damnedest thing I ever saw."

el matteo
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2001, 02:30 PM

this is my temporary setup at the 'rents house for the summer. that's a scanner and wacom tablet to the right, the burner and printer are on the floor (where they belong!)

i swear i fixed these links yesterday!

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: el matteo ]

cube-dude  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2001, 06:35 PM

Great closeup, el matteo.

What's up with GeoCities? I had to cut and paste the URL into a new window to get it to work.

c-d

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2001, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by flyhigher:
<STRONG>Here's mine:

flyhigher's cube and TAM</STRONG>
flyhigher,
That chair looks like it would be real comfortable! Where did you pick that up?

<dhdfhhhdh>
Aug 6, 2001, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by Milo Waye:
<STRONG>

flyhigher,
That chair looks like it would be real comfortable! Where did you pick that up?</STRONG>
It's an Aeron, I'm sitting in one right now, and it IS comfortable.

They're also about $700. There are a few places on the web that sell them, or ask your local high-end office furniture store. (They're made by Herman Miller, if that helps.)

Alex

saltines17
Senior User
Aug 6, 2001, 03:36 AM

<STRONG>Here's mine:

eeeh... should you really be putting things on your cube, let alone right on top of the vent??

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2001, 08:18 AM

You know what I don't get? How do you all keep your computer desks so neat and tidy ?

I need to post a picture of my set up. My desk always has piles and piles of stuff on it. After I got my cube the desk remained neat for about 2 days..

-Steve

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2001, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Milo Waye:
<STRONG>

flyhigher,
That chair looks like it would be real comfortable! Where did you pick that up?</STRONG>
It is an Aeron, and yes it is incredibly comfortable. They list at $600-800 depending on the options you get. But supposedly there are a large number of used ones in circulation now as a result of the dot-com crash.

I bought mine from OP Contract in San Francisco. For a while outpost.com was selling them, but they've since stopped.
"I warned them kids to keep their arms inside the ride. Damnedest thing I ever saw."

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2001, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by saltines17:
<STRONG>

eeeh... should you really be putting things on your cube, let alone right on top of the vent?? </STRONG>
I was wondering who would catch that. You're right, it completely covers the main vent. The heat can still escape through the narrow grill behind the main opening, and I have yet to see any adverse effects. I remove it when playing games or using the iTunes visualizer, or doing anything else cpu- or graphics-intensive.

Why did I do it? The drive is too noisy. Even after replacing the stock drive with a Deskstar 40GV, I can still hear the whine. The cover takes care of that, and I now have a nearly silent cube.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2001, 11:59 PM

Did someone say "Cube?" Did someone say "Newtons?"

Did someone say "Cube and Newtons!"

saltines17
Senior User
Aug 7, 2001, 12:24 AM

<STRONG>

I was wondering who would catch that. You're right, it completely covers the main vent. The heat can still escape through the narrow grill behind the main opening, and I have yet to see any adverse effects. I remove it when playing games or using the iTunes visualizer, or doing anything else cpu- or graphics-intensive.

Why did I do it? The drive is too noisy. Even after replacing the stock drive with a Deskstar 40GV, I can still hear the whine. The cover takes care of that, and I now have a nearly silent cube.</STRONG>
DON'T ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME, MISTER!

j/k, alright, just be sure not to accidentally hit the power button!!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2001, 02:14 AM

<STRONG>Here's mine:

You stuck a gold box directly on top of the vent for the Cube? I hear that if you want a completely silent Cube you can incase it in concrete and leave a little slot just for the CD-Drive.

Apple put that vent there for show and if the Cube doesn't blow up the second you place things in it things should be fine.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: Severed Hand of Skywalker ]

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

flyhigher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2001, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by saltines17:
<STRONG>

j/k, alright, just be sure not to accidentally hit the power button!! </STRONG>
You're right, I do accidentally put it to sleep sometimes. Apparently there is enough residual heat (or conductivity?) in the box that it can trip the switch. It is full of pennies.

My warranty is up in a few weeks, so we'll know for sure then whether I'm toasting the machine. So far, so good, though.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2001, 12:59 PM

Persuaded by a friend who came over yesterday, I finally post pictures of my desk too, here it comes:

I have the Cube under the desk, that combined with a acoustic management enabled Maxtor HD makes it virtually silent. My most recent acquisition is the lamp, which is blending elegantly into the picture, or what do you think?

el matteo
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2001, 01:21 PM

I think that cube belongs on the desk, man!

I'm starting to wonder if I just got lucky by having a Cube with a quiet hard drive. Mine doesn't make any noise at all, except when it's reading or writing. Definately no whiney noise I've heard others complain of.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2001, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by el matteo:
<STRONG>I'm starting to wonder if I just got lucky by having a Cube with a quiet hard drive. Mine doesn't make any noise at all, except when it's reading or writing. Definately no whiney noise I've heard others complain of.</STRONG>
See? Mine doesn't even make noise when reading/writing. That's the whole deal with the acoustic management, you can eliminate the seek sound of the r/w heads (even more important with the MP3 player).

Also, there's still the distinct whirring of the hard drive, which is definitely louder when the Cube is on the desk (as you can imagine, I have an excellent hearing ... which has been confirmed in the last medical).

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2001, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by 2far:
<STRONG>Persuaded by a friend who came over yesterday, I finally post pictures of my desk too, here it comes:

Clipped out pictures on reply to save modem users. -oscar

I have the Cube under the desk, that combined with a acoustic management enabled Maxtor HD makes it virtually silent. My most recent acquisition is the lamp, which is blending elegantly into the picture, or what do you think?</STRONG>
Again, my MIND IS BLOWN! Judging from your setup, I knew without your location that it had to be some european locale. You europeans know how to make great setups.

ALL OF YOU GUYS HAVE EXCELLENT POSTS!

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: oscar ]
F = ma

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2001, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by 2far:
<STRONG>I have the Cube under the desk, that combined with a acoustic management enabled Maxtor HD makes it virtually silent. My most recent acquisition is the lamp, which is blending elegantly into the picture, or what do you think?</STRONG>
Wow, outstanding setup. I noticed you didn't mention the fact you have an iBook right there on your desk - afraid some people won't like the fact you spent $1000 less than a G4 and got a machine that closely rivals it?
One question, tho: how is the mp3 player setup? How much (and what brand?) was that slim black mp3 box? I'd sure like to have something like that hooked up the stereo system, especially after playing live streaming mp3s through my own iBook... sehr w�nderbar, herr 2far! (okay, so I don't know german awfully well

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2001, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
<STRONG>
Again, my MIND IS BLOWN! Judging from your setup, I knew without your location that it had to be some european locale. You europeans know how to make great setups.</STRONG>
milhous, I wouldn't have thought that someone could recognize a european setup

But you know, this setup has been perfected over the years. In the early days (without the Cube, of course), it was much less sophisticated and you could see bunches of cables everywhere ... (but altho most cables are hidden, "everything is connected with everything")

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2001, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by funkboy:
<STRONG>Wow, outstanding setup. I noticed you didn't mention the fact you have an iBook right there on your desk - afraid some people won't like the fact you spent $1000 less than a G4 and got a machine that closely rivals it? </STRONG>
No, it's just that I didn't describe the obvious items (everyone here knows the iBook, Cinema Display, and so on). In fact, I did buy a Titanium PowerBook (see threads about subnotebooks)--hence the Titanium case (no. 12). (You almost thought you got me, didn't you ).

But just when I almost got used to the really large footprint SJ announced the iBook. Since I don't need the Altivec power on the road, and IrDA/PC-Cards are not a must, the decision to get an iBook was made instantly (had to wait about 2 months for it, tho).

<STRONG>One question, tho: how is the mp3 player setup? How much (and what brand?) was that slim black mp3 box? I'd sure like to have something like that hooked up the stereo system, especially after playing live streaming mp3s through my own iBook... sehr w�nderbar, herr 2far! (okay, so I don't know german awfully well </STRONG>
The MP3 player Terratec M3Po is essentially a player with internal ATA hard drive and CD drive, which plays any MP3 files off either of the two drives. The Traxdata mStation is a similar device (look it up in Sherlock). My requirements for the evaluation were: remote control, hard drive, own alphanumerical display, regular stereo component size.

And while your german is not perfect, it's just great that you can at least say something (me and my girlfriend are surprised and amused ...)

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: 2far ]

jo5_h
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2001, 10:55 AM

here's my setup..

- jo5_h

beep boop muthaf*ckers
http://braineater.net/

PowerMac G4 Cube - 500MHz | 1.5GB | 60GB | CD-RW | 22" Apple Cinema Display
Titanium PowerBook G4 - 500MHz | 512MB | 20GB

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Aug 12, 2001, 05:31 PM

Soo....do Cubes come with awesome setups, or does it just seem that way?

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2001, 10:14 PM

Jeeze, Soo many people have cinema displays hooked up to their cubes...it's truly amazing. I have the 17 incher myself....but if I had found $1500 extra in my pocket,....heck....

Jay
Am I still here?

jo5_h
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2001, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by oVeRmInD911:
<STRONG>Soo....do Cubes come with awesome setups, or does it just seem that way?</STRONG>
well, when i decided to get my Cube, i really wanted a flat-panel display. the 15" Studio Display just wasn't going to cut it, and i actually got the Cube about a month before they announced the flat 17" Studio Display, so the Cinema Display was the obvious choice. it's the same w/ the PowerBook.. i was thinking about an iBook, but i've always thought you should buy the best, most expensive piece of hardware you can afford when you're getting a new machine, coz it's just going to be obsolete in 3-6 months anyway. i might as well have the most high-end piece of obsolete technology possible.. right?

when i bought these machine, i was really overpaid.. so money wasn't an issue. now i'm unemployed, and i'm just hoping that toting around a TiBook will help impress any potential employers.
- jo5_h

beep boop muthaf*ckers
http://braineater.net/

PowerMac G4 Cube - 500MHz | 1.5GB | 60GB | CD-RW | 22" Apple Cinema Display
Titanium PowerBook G4 - 500MHz | 512MB | 20GB

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 04:25 AM

Obviously many people who are willing to pay for design (i.e. get a Cube), don't stop there and hook up a CRT monitor. They tend to get a flat panel screen. Also, the same people are usually not students and thus can allow themselves to spend a greater amount on these things. And in agreement with the previous post many got the Cinema Display, because the 15" LCD was too small and the 17" not available. As for me, I simply got the largest one.

On an unrelated note, the Cube has some interesting optical effects when the sun shines in from behind: the light is lead inside the case to the front and exits at the edges of the Apple logo:

Tzaar
Aug 15, 2001, 08:06 AM

2far-

what do you do?? how is is that you have this much money??

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Aug 15, 2001, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
<STRONG>

Again, my MIND IS BLOWN! Judging from your setup, I knew without your location that it had to be some european locale. You europeans know how to make great setups.
</STRONG>
Or just have way too much money to throw around.

Speed

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Tzaar:
<STRONG>2far-

what do you do?? how is is that you have this much money??</STRONG>
You know, most of the computer equipment is paid by my employer. This company obviously wants me to be able to work comfortably at home (probably because I own the company ).

el matteo
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 11:04 AM

there is something that just seems...wrong about putting a CRT next to a Cube. I had to, as 2far noted earlier, that the 15" was too small and 22" too expensive. now that we've got the 17", and I get a nice discount from being an Apple Product Professional, as soon as I pawn off the CRT on eBay I'll finally be able to do my Cube justice.

FormerLurker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2001, 11:21 PM

1. BUMP !
this thread has some awesome setups that need to be seen by everyone

2. My contribution - a triple threat!

The iBook is truly the "Cube-Book" - if you ever had any doubts...
The blank monitor in the background belongs to "Beige Bertha" - our Performa 6400/180 that is big, bulky, beige, and just..keeps...going. (that's why this photo is a triple threat).

cube-dude  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2001, 03:30 PM

Great Cube setups, guys!

BTW if you post a link instead of the image within the thread, it would make loading alot quicker, especially for the dialups among us.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

FormerLurker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2001, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by cube-dude:
<STRONG>Great Cube setups, guys!

BTW if you post a link instead of the image within the thread, it would make loading alot quicker, especially for the dialups among us.</STRONG>
Yeah, and you could REALLY save some bandwidth, by NOT quoting posts with photos, especially the ones with 3 photos at 800x600... why in the world anyone would quote an entire post including photos.... geez, just delete the IMG links from the quoted text, at least ...

milhous !

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2001, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by FormerLurker:
<STRONG>

Yeah, and you could REALLY save some bandwidth, by NOT quoting posts with photos, especially the ones with 3 photos at 800x600... why in the world anyone would quote an entire post including photos.... geez, just delete the IMG links from the quoted text, at least ...

milhous ! </STRONG>
I was wondering too. It could still be edited by the poster or a mod (hint, hint). And sorry for including the pics rather than linking ... I find the former much more convenient for a picture thread. I must confess tho I didn't think about those 28.8kpbs dialups. But I did compress the pics a little more than usual (see quality).

<Falcon>
Aug 22, 2001, 06:39 PM

I love it when people attach the pictures to the post. I hate it when there is crap link you have to click or copy/paste to see it.

<cornerstoned>
Aug 26, 2001, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by FormerLurker:
<STRONG>1. BUMP !
this thread has some awesome setups that need to be seen by everyone

2. My contribution - a triple threat!

The iBook is truly the "Cube-Book" - if you ever had any doubts...
The blank monitor in the background belongs to "Beige Bertha" - our Performa 6400/180 that is big, bulky, beige, and just..keeps...going. (that's why this photo is a triple threat).</STRONG>
You're probably right with the Cube-Book ... matches the Cube very well!

What is "Beige Bertha" doing for a living? Is it a server?

FormerLurker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2001, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by &lt;cornerstoned&gt;:
<STRONG>

You're probably right with the Cube-Book ... matches the Cube very well!

What is "Beige Bertha" doing for a living? Is it a server?</STRONG>
Sort of... it's got an extra internal hard drive and we backup files there. It's also an alternate workstation, for when all the non-beige computers are in use.

<JoeG4Error>
Dec 17, 2001, 10:33 PM

My set up is a US jacked up version of that english setup.. 22" monitor, apple pro speakers, isub, but it's on a glass corner setup, and I can always hook up my stereo

We Americans aren't up for everything fancy, quiet, (voiding the warranty,), but more for use, and power!!! muwahahaha

Now if I only had a cube.. but my g4 is it's big brother.

Quicksilver dual 800
22" cinema

Hrm, ya think you can give me some theme advice? I could use it (I will hide my cables now, I'm so tempted!!!

<JoeG4Error>
Dec 30, 2001, 02:06 PM

Bah... Cube IS a Cube-Top, because apart from the fact it's built like a laptop (just wasn't because it got way too hot to be one), and it has a 3.5" hard drive..

Unfortunately a friend of mine was silly enough to sell his cube for a powerbook... but I think it was mainly the 17" monitor that he was pissed off with.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2001, 01:44 AM

"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2002, 10:57 PM

cjrivera,
More pics, more pics !!!

<Jayzlie>
Jan 1, 2002, 11:52 PM

cjrivera , I'm dying to know what kind of desk that is! Do tell please!
Thanks.

Jay

<cjrivera>
Jan 2, 2002, 01:50 AM

I'll post a fewer closeups soon.

Thanks for all the compliments. I got the desk on living.com, before they went out of business. It was like $200 and the delivery guys put the thing together for you! No wonder they went out of business. It's not a very functional desk, but who cares... it looks cool with the Cube.

Forum Links
Forum Rules