Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > my combo writes 4x

my combo writes 4x
machappy
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 10:05 AM

just in case anyone still is wondering about the combo drive write speeds. mine is 4X4X24.
All the apple employees I spoke with at their store in tysons knew this as fact when i bought it.
Not one of them tried to convince me is was 8x.
i still got it because for me it serves as a easy way to back up client/personal stuff on the road, much better then hauling a usb zip or a GIANT firewire 16X burner.

GroovyPatateFrite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 10:19 AM

Ack, the fact remains : 4x takes as much as 18 minutes to burn a CD! Now you know why Apple retains the 8x CD-RW iBook as an Apple Store exclusive -- it's actually an higher-end machine than the combo! (DVD playing on a notebook is, IMHO, nothing more than a novelty).

machappy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 10:26 AM

huh?

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2001, 10:56 AM

Just use Toast Titanium so you can burn in the background. So it can take 18 minutes, no big deal. Having the ability to play DVDs is a necessity, especially on long trips. Being able to go video out is great if your hotel television can hook up. The combo iceBook is a lightweight Swiss Army knife! I won't go camping without it!

------------------
hello
AGAIN
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

amrosario
Jun 1, 2001, 11:15 AM

I agree. Burn in the background and watch movies later on. Also, it only takes 18 minutes if you are burning a full CD. Often, I just burn a small session which often takes less time.

I agree that having the DVD is a novelty, but, in some way, so is having an iBook (I'm speaking for myself, of course). I do all my major work here on my Cube and things that I take on the road will be worked on by my iBook. Watching DVDs on the road, or at home, is quite a kick with this little machine. In my studio, when I was bored and had no work to do, I'd fire up a DVD on my iMac and kick back for an hour or so. Now I can do that wherever I go.
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat."

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jun 1, 2001, 11:43 AM

once again, people are not looking at the whole dvd picture. It is a format, not just a means of playing movies. I expect using dvd disks to transfer data will be more common than cds in a few years.

------------------
.b
http://homepage.mac.com/jblakeh1
http://www.sit3.com

CJ
Jun 1, 2001, 03:56 PM

While DVD may be a novelty for some, it can be a great benefit, if not necessity, for others. Anyone with kids will tell you that one of the worst things to happen is to be on a long car trip with BORED kids.
You could plug in the iBook (with car adapter) and throw in a movie and, BINGO!, you're good to go for 2+ hours. That is the definition for benefit.

I would consider it a necessity for your kids on a long PLANE ride, so you don't get the other passengers cheezed off at you and your bored (and usually crying) 2 year old. (which is perfectly normal for a kid this age when made to sit down in a seat for a few hours straight)

I used my Wallstreet PB for this same situation and, man, was it a godsend. I only have a CD-ROM in the wallstreet, so instead of forking out$400 for the DVD module, I used a lesser known format called VCD, that runs in any CD-R. Bought 3 Disney movies and, presto, happy kids on a very long trip.

Like Video + Ritalin = Vitalin?

Duo
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 06:03 PM

Thats the reason why I bought the DVD version instead ot the combo drive. The combo drive is a neat idea, but until the speed of the cdr is increased its more of a cool feature rather then a useful one.

Duo

machappy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 08:51 PM

lemme ask you.....ARE YOU ON CRACK?

not useful?

Today I took some digital photos of a thrashed parking lot for a paving company. I then touched them up in PS making a virtual "After" picture. I showed them to the owner, he made some changes, I burned them to a cd and he gave them to his graphics gimp back at the office to make a proposal.

I did this all in my car.

This I find useful.

DVD is very entertaining. I find that useful too.

[This message has been edited by machappy (edited 06-01-2001).]

SkruffBuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 11:14 PM

Even if you use Toast Titanium and burn in the background, wouldn't it significantly slow down your computing (especially internet use?)

~Skruff

Forum Links
Forum Rules