Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > switching window managers and xinitrc

switching window managers and xinitrc
EasyKill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2001, 12:55 PM

Hi, x-windows newbie here. Please be gentle.

Using a combination of the Fink and manual installations I've finally gotten a rootless installation of x-windows running on my Powerbook (10.1), but I'm having trouble configuring it.

-- No matter what I try, I can't switch to any other window manager besides twm. I've tried windowmaker, oroborus, oroborosx, sawfish, and icewm. Fink downloads and installs them without reporting any errors. I modify .xinitrc, relaunch the server, and I get xterm with no window frame or title bar around it. I did run wmaker.inst, which didn't report any errors either. In .xinitrc I've tried both

wmaker (...ice, sawfish, etc) &
xterm

and also

xterm
exec wmaker (ice, sawfish, etc)

...the only thing that works for me is twm, which is almost useless. Any suggestions?

-- When XDarwin quits, it leaves a process running called XDarwinStartup, which I have to manually kill via the OS X Process Viewer in order to relaunch X Windows. Does anyone know how to fix this?

-- Can someone explain how the -geometry settings work in .xinitrc? I understand the absolute positioning from 0,0, but when I try to set the dimensions of, say, an xterm window, the results are never what I expect.

TIA

-- easykill

Greg Parker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2001, 05:42 PM

I assume you used Fink to install the window managers. It presumably installed them into /sw/bin/wmaker, etc. It's possible that /sw/bin isn't in the PATH when xinitrc runs, so xinit can't find them. Try explicitly using the full path in xinitrc (e.g. `/sw/bin/wmaker &`).

"-geometry AxB+C+D" will create a window with dimension A x B, C away from the left edge and D down from the top. You can also use -C and -D to offset from the right and bottom, or leave out the offset or size completely.

Note that I never said "pixels" above. Some programs interpret the numbers in pixels, but other programs use something else. xterm interprets the numbers in characters, so "-geometry 80x24" give you an xterm 80 characters across and 24 lines tall.
XDarwin - XFree86 for Mac OS X - http://mrcla.com/XonX/ http://sf.net/projects/xonx/

EasyKill  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2001, 11:19 PM

Thanks Greg! That all makes perfect sense. I've got GIMP running like a champ in rootless mode using windowmaker. Now to find a good Aqua-ripoff theme...

Forum Links
Forum Rules