Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Snow-E Icons.. -omfg.

Snow-E Icons.. -omfg.
unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 10:35 AM

I'm not usually a fanboy. But Mr. Rad-E8 had me drooling before with Snow.E set 1, and set 2 is just.. insane.

http://www.rad-e8.com/

wow.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 10:41 AM

Yeah I agree and that's one of the best looking websites I have ever seen, amazing. Not all his icons are as good as these but his wallpapers are also very nice...

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 10:41 AM

I never thought he could top set 1, but he just did. The detail is simply amazing ! Even the downloaded .dmg has a custom icon

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 11:20 AM

I'm usually the first one to scoff at overhauling the default icon set but this stuff is soo good. I feel like I have a whole new computer now. Very nice indeed.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2002, 11:50 AM

Wow, this is very nice work indeed....I am glad to know that Matthew Bice (creator of http://www.iheartny.com/xicons) has some competition.

Great job!

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2002, 12:02 PM

flash is required.

here is a direct download link
http://www.rad-e8.com/_files/icons/snow_e_2.dmg.sit
4.5 MB or so.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Wow, this is very nice work indeed....I am glad to know that Matthew Bice (creator of http://www.iheartny.com/xicons) has some competition.

Great job!

Well not sure if that's in the same league.

Here's something closer to being competition MMIcons

On the subject of icons, how the hell do yo change them in jag? The new info windows no longer allow pasting.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2002, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by unlinear:
I'm not usually a fanboy. But Mr. Rad-E8 had me drooling before with Snow.E set 1, and set 2 is just.. insane.

http://www.rad-e8.com/

wow.

That guy is good! I�m impressed!

unlinear  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 01:32 PM

I'd say he's surpassed MMicons, definately. MM's sets were mostly repetitions of a theme (especially the early ones). Folder icon +vectorized symbol becomes 16 icons. No offense to mr MM, ofcourse. I've used his icons..

I'd say he's getting close to mr. Bice, and people like Pixeljerk (what happened to pixeljerk.com, btw?).

Oh btw, Changing icons in Jag seems to be quite the hassle. I got a lot of 'echos'; I'd cut out the old custom icon, paste in the new one, and end up with the old custom icon.

My trick so far is:
- curse a lot
- remove all custom icons from the things you want to change
- remove those objects from the dock
- rebooto! hai.
- change icons, drag stuff back into dock.

logging out didnt seem to do it, and killing the finder didnt seem to do much either. so i fear rebooting is part of the process now

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2002, 02:17 PM

Beautiful site. Great icon set. Great Desktops. Hats off to the Rad-E8 crew! Gotta love how much inspiration OS X has sparked. So many great new icons, desktops, themes, web sites, etc.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2002, 02:30 PM

I'd say he's surpassed MMicons, definately. MM's sets were mostly repetitions of a theme (especially the early ones). Folder icon +vectorized symbol becomes 16 icons. No offense to mr MM, ofcourse. I've used his icons..

I'd say he's getting close to mr. Bice, and people like Pixeljerk (what happened to pixeljerk.com, btw?).

Oh btw, Changing icons in Jag seems to be quite the hassle. I got a lot of 'echos'; I'd cut out the old custom icon, paste in the new one, and end up with the old custom icon.

My trick so far is:
- curse a lot
- rebooto! hai.

logging out didnt seem to do it, and killing the finder didnt seem to do much either. so i fear rebooting is part of the process now
So what's wrong with using CandyBar 1.0.1?

unlinear  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 02:50 PM

Candybar doesnt change application or folder icons..

IE, iChat, Photoshop Folder, etc, come included with Snow.E2..

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2002, 03:19 PM

Candybar doesnt change application or folder icons..

IE, iChat, Photoshop Folder, etc, come included with Snow.E2..
Odd, "Show Inspector" and replacing the icon from a simple copy/paste hasn't failed for me yet...unless, you are the Jaguar "Utilities" folder, arrggghhhh....

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2002, 03:35 PM

Odd, "Show Inspector" and replacing the icon from a simple copy/paste hasn't failed for me yet...unless, you are the Jaguar "Utilities" folder, arrggghhhh....

LOL, I remember in the pre-release of jag you couldn't do that and assumed you still couldn't. Thanks, now I can paste away.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2002, 04:12 PM

SNOW.E 2 icon set is amazing - its worth changing my whole theme and desktop setup to complement it!

I have never been in such icon-bliss.

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 04:41 PM

This by far the most complete and beautiful icon set for OS X to date. How about showing off your SnowE.2 desktops?..

http://idisk.mac.com/gatorzx2/Public/Oct21.jpg

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 04:49 PM

My trick so far is:
- curse a lot
- rebooto! hai.

Killing the dock works for me ! At least for the icons that live there .

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2002, 05:20 PM

the download craps out for me in chimera and IE after about 1.4 MB of 4.7 MB. I'm on dial-up. damn I hate dial-up soooo much.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 05:57 PM

uhm, any applications out there that will do this system wide for me? I know there are but damn if I can remember any names...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
uhm, any applications out there that will do this system wide for me? I know there are but damn if I can remember any names...
Do what? Change your system icons?

CandyBar 1.0.1 from Panic

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 21, 2002, 06:25 PM

A semi-rheotrical question:

With icons like these, why would anyone else even make icons from this day on?

Wow

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 06:26 PM

I had heard that using custom icons takes up memory in OS 9. Is that true? If it is, does it take up memory in OS X? I would like to replace the entire set in my computer, but I won't do it if it robs me of memory. I am strapped for every meg that I have.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
I had heard that using custom icons takes up memory in OS 9. Is that true? If it is, does it take up memory in OS X? I would like to replace the entire set in my computer, but I won't do it if it robs me of memory. I am strapped for every meg that I have.
Nope, at least not on my system....I've never heard of that before either.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 08:01 PM

Gatorzx2 - I LIKE A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (didnt know 2 came out). also, where did you get that version of milk. can you send a link?

[email protected]
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2002, 08:36 PM

Thats just Milk with Graphite being used in the General Pref Pane instead of Aqua.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2002, 08:50 PM

o ok....well, i dled it and put everything in candybar, but it wouldnt apply! i restarted, and ill try again soon, but i accidentally got rid of my 'Computer' pic and i cant seem to remember where i got it. It had a folder in the dmg file with 'jaguar hardware' and inside, it had all these pics of macs with the jag desktop on the screen. anyone know what im talking about/where i can find it again?

EDIT: soooooooorry, luckily i had made a copy of the folder a long time ago. just found it.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 21, 2002, 09:13 PM

I just applied the whole set to my system. It actually makes my system feel (due to look ironically) like another OS upgrade. The author could chargew $129 for this set

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2002, 10:16 PM

Great set. Loved the first one too. RadE8 is good.

ender2002
Senior User
Oct 21, 2002, 10:24 PM

Gatorzx2: can you post that desktop in your snapshot? thanks in advance

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2002, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
A semi-rheotrical question:

With icons like these, why would anyone else even make icons from this day on?

Wow
Hey Swiz, how about contacting the guy and making a theme based on these icons, they rock!!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 12:28 AM

Very very impressive. Used with Milk and an appropriate set of desktop pictures, this just rocks.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 22, 2002, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by zeebe:

Hey Swiz, how about contacting the guy and making a theme based on these icons, they rock!!
Max already beat me to it. Milk is pure zen with these icons. I would be quite surprised if the icon author didnt use Milk as a reference for the icons.

Im always whipping up theme mock ups though so if I come up with anything which works well with them and is different enough from Milk I'll give it a go.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2002, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
SNOW.E 2 icon set is amazing - its worth changing my whole theme and desktop setup to complement it!

I have never been in such icon-bliss.

when I first saw your sig, I thought you were the guy who registered [email protected]. I tried to register that name on the first day iTools came out, but it was already taken.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2002, 10:19 AM

I agree that that's a really nice website. I personally don't like the icons much, but they're very nicely done.

However, making a website flash-only blows him right out of the water.
Blah.

-s*

ehunt
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2002, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:

LOL, I remember in the pre-release of jag you couldn't do that and assumed you still couldn't. Thanks, now I can paste away.
Son of a....I usually have to quit the finder in order to get the icons to change on folders & apps!!! For everything else candybar works killer! Hey, but I am also stuck with an alias for the OS9 desktop which I have logged out and deleted as the root user, booted directly from classic and deleted but it keeps coming back....anyone know how to delete it permanently or at least change the icon because I can't do either...if I have to leave it there I want to use one of the sweet os9 rad-e8 folder icons!!!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2002, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by ehunt:

Son of a....I usually have to quit the finder in order to get the icons to change on folders & apps!!! For everything else candybar works killer! Hey, but I am also stuck with an alias for the OS9 desktop which I have logged out and deleted as the root user, booted directly from classic and deleted but it keeps coming back....anyone know how to delete it permanently or at least change the icon because I can't do either...if I have to leave it there I want to use one of the sweet os9 rad-e8 folder icons!!!
I believe that OS 9 Desktop folder will stay there until there is nothing on your OS 9 desktop, but not for sure.

ehunt
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2002, 02:14 PM

I believe that OS 9 Desktop folder will stay there until there is nothing on your OS 9 desktop, but not for sure.
Well, that was easy Seems to be working after a few re-boots!!! Thanks!!!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

boardsurfer
Oct 22, 2002, 10:42 PM

Has anyone downloaded this set (rad-E8) since this thread has been active? I keep getting a corrupted d/l. I tried at home and from work, no dice.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2002, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by boardsurfer:
Has anyone downloaded this set (rad-E8) since this thread has been active? I keep getting a corrupted d/l. I tried at home and from work, no dice.
Works fine here.....

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
I just applied the whole set to my system. It actually makes my system feel (due to look ironically) like another OS upgrade. The author could chargew $129 for this set
I never liked the default finder toolbar iconset, but now that S2 is out I have all those icons modified and on my toolbar just so I can admire them. They've becomed like framed art on my toolbar rather than links So yeah, along with Max's great/simple/beautiful milk theme and these icons, ut is like having a new OS. Thanks Max and RAD�E8.

PS I've always liked Milk.theme but I found the default iconset makes it to bland, Milk.theme is like a canvas and S2 is it's art

RAD.E8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 06:57 PM

Hi folks,

thanks a lot for your kind feedback to my icons.

I am currently in the process of collecting ideas for a supplement kit. SO if you have any ideas or wishes (please not too specific)... I'm open for them!

Of course I wouldn't do that... and nobody would pay it. But SNOW.E 2 has generated enormous amounts of traffic I have to pay... far more than 30 GB so far. So if anybody really happy about the icons would be willing to donate... any amount is welcome and will help me pay the bills and keep everything free.

So... icon ideas?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2002, 07:14 PM

Are you talking about more system icons ideas or general anything ideas?

RAD.E8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 07:29 PM

I guess there should be enough system icons for now... or not?

I rather thought of folder icons and stuff, icons that may be useful to many users.

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 07:50 PM

I would like to see a whole set of icons with the different color schemes like you have in the Extras>Folders that come with snow.e2. I especially like the graphite and aqua colored folders.

ender2002
Senior User
Oct 24, 2002, 07:51 PM

You should make Computer icons (ie: iBook, iMac, and so on) and maybe a login panel or system boot panel too.

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by RAD.E8:
I guess there should be enough system icons for now... or not?

I rather thought of folder icons and stuff, icons that may be useful to many users.

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 08:04 PM

You mean like a system preferences icon, toast ti icon? How about you make finder backgrounds? like one for the computer wiindow, one for the documents, one for apps etc...Just making suggestions.
Boot panel? Log-in tiff? Log-in background? AboutBox.tif?

RAD.E8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 08:47 PM

A few people have requested something like SNOW.E 2 aqua. But my real intention with SNOW.E was ... to make white snowy folders But if more request arise... maybe.

A lot of people did not find the computer icons for the toolbar... sorry about that. I have updated the set yesterday so they all are in the "Toolbar" folder.
But if you have the old version look for a folder inside "Toolbar" called "Toolbar |_Computer". They're all in there.

I'll see about these boot panels and stuff. But for now I'll concentrate on making SNOW.E 2 as complete as possible.

But the Toast Ti icon sucks I'll take care of it.

unlinear  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2002, 08:48 PM

Sasha,

Although I've already e-mailed you about this one, I thought i'd suggest it in here too: how about a Snow.E2 Chimericon theme?

It doesn't have to be a full set, but back, forward, stop, reload, sidebar 'd be nice to have SnowEfied.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2002, 09:30 PM

How about replacements for all the System Preference panes that come default in System Preferences? They could use some work and I know somebody with your skills could do the trick rather nicely.

Chalk up another vote for Aqua SNOW.E2....

Forum Links
Forum Rules