Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I share an address book among friends, relatives?

How do I share an address book among friends, relatives?
cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2004, 09:30 AM

Hi,

I use Apple's Mac OS X Address Book to store my contacts and addresses, and use that to hotsync with my Palm via iSync. Works gorgeously.

I am wondering if there is any way, to allow other people to view my address book, like the sharing in iTunes 4 and iPhoto 4, or to store these addresses in a central repository, so that the contact details can be shared among multiple computers. Alternatively, is there a way for a group of people, to share an online address book?

Looking at the Mac OS X Address Book, there seems to be a way for it to look up LDAP directories (in preferences, and in the main Address Book window). Is an LDAP directory something that I can set up on my computer or an online web site?

Alternatively, are there any 3rd party software that has sharing features? I could probably use Yahoo Groups, but that seems a bit clumsy.

ps: I do know that I can export contact details as vcf files. but that's not true instantaneous sharing.

Thanks in advance.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2004, 09:44 AM

Do you have .Mac? You could use this:

http://www.mac.com/1/iTour/tour_addressbook.html

kman42
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Do you have .Mac? You could use this:

http://www.mac.com/1/iTour/tour_addressbook.html
That allows you to share your AB with yourself on multiple computers. That seems to be only a small part of what the poster wants to do and what many people have been desiring for a long time. It's incredibly frustrating that my wife and I have about 100 addresses that are the same, but they are always out of sync and we can never remember who has the most current information. We should be able to share some groups and have some private.

Since many Macs are used in home environments there should be a way to share certain AB Groups with other users on the same machine or to subscribe to groups over the internet using .mac. It would be awesome if I could host a Family Group on .mac that my with could access from her account and that my parents could even access from their computer at the other end of the state. Then my mother could keep us updated on all those family-friends or extended family that my wife and I only occasionally interact with.

I've always figured that LDAP would allow this sort of thing, but I have no idea how to do it.

kman

davecom
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 02:35 PM

How about using one of the export to HTML utilities?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 05:14 PM

You might try this.

I haven't tried it and it only appears to work on a network, rendezvous style. Freeware.

Forum Links
Forum Rules