Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12in pb vs. dell 700m

12in pb vs. dell 700m
AdotWu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 10:42 PM

hi everyone. Ive just come across a rather tough decision. Up until the new dell 700m was released i was working and saving money to buy a 12inch powerbook (poor college student). Now that i have enough, i just wanted to see if there are any advantages to buying the Dell. I dont play games so graphics isnt really important to me. Can someone please compare the two and give me some advice!

t4r1q
Aug 9, 2004, 11:23 PM

This has been addressed many times recently, look through the last 1 or 2 pages of the forum for more indepth replies.

In short though, the Dell will probably edge the PB in raw speed (in some areas); however, you don't get the style, and quality that comes with the PB. Also, with the PB, you get OS X which is hands down the better operating system and sometimes the deciding factor for people stuck in the same situation as you.

mcsharick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: I'm somewhere in the Northwest...its raining...and I love it!
Aug 10, 2004, 02:36 AM

As a Mac Zealot, I've got to tell you that's a hard choice there. I just visited the Dell site to take a look at the 700m, and its very nice. I'm a current owner of a Rev C. 12" PowerBook, and re-switched back to Apple / Macs about 3 years ago. It is without a doubt the finest Mac I've ever owned, and its performance is admirable.

The difference you'll have to weigh is between price and usability. In every way, the PB wins usability hands down, no viruses, no crashes, etc.. This is because OSX is far superior to XP as a usable, highly available, Desktop OS. But the Dell wins hands down for power comparison to the PowerBook with regards to price point. XP is functional, often virus ridden and very vulnerable to attack, but functional.

But if I was "back at school" hooking my laptop into various labs around campus, getting hit with a virus would be the first thing on my list of worries. With the PB, no worries
( Last edited by mcsharick; Aug 10, 2004 at 02:41 AM. )

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 03:52 AM

Not sure how the school system is put together in the states, but if you are classified as a student you can get an ADC Student membership. With ADC student membership you'll get 20% rebate on one Apple purchase, plus free OS updates through the year until the membership expires. Perhaps there are other special discounts you can consider as well. I know Apples general student offerings vary a bit in the states contra my country, last time I checked.

Anyway good luck with the decision.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 07:35 AM

If anything, look at the Dell X300!
That's would be comparable (except for GPU) PBG4 and even way lighter!
IMHO the 700m look cheap and ugly (look at the bootom/base, they cheat, the thingy looks thinner that it is)!

AdotWu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 10:49 PM

thanks for all the help guys. as of right now i am typing this response on my new 12inch powerbook. i paid 1700 bux at the apple store at valley fair after a 200 dollar student discount. (my college didnt have any in stock) just a quick question though. what is the best way to clean my display? there are a few spots that could use some touching up. thanks

mcsharick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: I'm somewhere in the Northwest...its raining...and I love it!
Aug 10, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by AdotWu:
...just a quick question though. what is the best way to clean my display?
You might find the two following links helpful:

Apple Support Page - PowerBook Care and Handling

RadTech Notebook ScreensavRz

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by AdotWu:
thanks for all the help guys. as of right now i am typing this response on my new 12inch powerbook. i paid 1700 bux at the apple store at valley fair after a 200 dollar student discount. (my college didnt have any in stock) just a quick question though. what is the best way to clean my display? there are a few spots that could use some touching up. thanks
The Valley Fair store huh? Cool, I live in the SF bay area too. (Assuming that's where you live) If you live close enough to the Apple Retail Store then I would definitely recommend getting the iClean from Monster Cable from the Apple store. For $25.00 you get 2 very large soft cloths and a great cleaning solution that doesn't require elbow grease to remove. I have used the iClear polish in the past and I have had to wipe and wipe until the wax streaks went away. Hate it, even though it's good polish.
The iClean is much better for the money.
Also Congrats on the 12" Powerbook purchase. Sometimes PC's can be very inviting just on specs alone but it's really all about the "OS" that makes the computer and not the hardware. Apple truly wins here.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 02:15 AM

Good choice, I hope you like your powerbook. That being said even the dell machine you were compairing it to wouldn't have been bad at all. Slap a distro of linux on there to dual boot with XP... and you could have something nice to use around school. I personally went the PowerBook rout also... and trust me you won't look back. They are great machines and well worth the price! Good luck with your new 12"!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

AdotWu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 05:14 AM

this little machine is truly amazing. i feel like the only reason im ever going to use my pc again is probably for doom 3 and half life 2. other than games, my new mac will serve me well for a couple of years. thanks for all the responses guys!

Forum Links
Forum Rules