Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to make Acrobat the default PDF reader?

How to make Acrobat the default PDF reader?
xenopdx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 01:43 AM

Please help:

In OS 10.3.2, Preview is my default PDF viewer. How can make Acrobat the default reader?

Also, in Safari, whenever I click on a .rm file, GraphicConverter launches and tells me that it's not a valid file (duh!). How can change it so that RealOne Player would launch? (I remeber that Netscape allowed me to pick applications for opening different files, but I can't do that in Safari.)

mikemako
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 03:22 AM

this is kind of a round-about way I suppose, but I can't figure it out from Acrobat Reader's preferences either..

Right-Click (or Control-Click) on a PDF document and choose "Get Info".. then, under "Open With", choose: "Adobe Reader" and click the "Change All" button.

...and same thing with the .rm files I think. Right-Click on an .rm file that's already on your hard drive, and choose from the "Get Info" dialog box which app to use by default.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Thor
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 04:06 AM

How can make Acrobat the default reader?
Just curious as to why on earth you would want to do this.

Preview in Panther is better, stronger, faster...

In fact, after using both, I promptly deleted Acrobat Reader from my Macs.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2004, 06:48 AM

Help! My Food Replicator keeps delivering fillet mignon. How can I make it give me greasy hamburgers infected with Mad Cow disease instead?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

xenopdx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Thor:
Just curious as to why on earth you would want to do this.

Preview in Panther is better, stronger, faster...

In fact, after using both, I promptly deleted Acrobat Reader from my Macs.

I downloaded some pdf forms that I could fill out using Acrobat Reader but not Preview.

I agree that Preview can be better in many ways, but it doesn't fit my needs right now.

Thor
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 01:06 PM

Charles:

Zim
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 01:41 PM

Huh? Last time I tried Preview it was dog-slow for PDFs with many pages in them.

Also dislike that these "preferences" get forgotten on a regular basis and go back to the apps that I didn't want to use.

Mike

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Zim:
Huh? Last time I tried Preview it was dog-slow for PDFs with many pages in them.
You think so? God, the Preview.app in Panther blows away any PDF viewer in terms of rendering speed on any other computer I have access to. 10.2's Preview.app, on the other hand, is a different story.
Now, if you have to edit or fill-out PDF forms, on the other hand, you will need Acrobat/Adobe Reader instead.

Originally posted by mikemako:
this is kind of a round-about way I suppose, but I can't figure it out from Acrobat Reader's preferences either..

Right-Click (or Control-Click) on a PDF document and choose "Get Info".. then, under "Open With", choose: "Adobe Reader" and click the "Change All" button.

...and same thing with the .rm files I think. Right-Click on an .rm file that's already on your hard drive, and choose from the "Get Info" dialog box which app to use by default.
This isn't a round-about way... it is the way to do it.

manfreds
Jan 15, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Preview.app in Panther blows away any PDF viewer in terms of rendering speed on any other computer I have access to.
Preview uses Quartz to render PDF so any other PDF viewer that does so is as fast or faster as Preview.
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by manfreds:
Preview uses Quartz to render PDF so any other PDF viewer that does so is as fast or faster as Preview.
then would you care to enlighten us as to which other PDF viewers use Quartz?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
then would you care to enlighten us as to which other PDF viewers use Quartz?
His PDF Browser plug-in is the only other one I know of.
Vandelay Industries

Zim
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
[B]You think so? God, the Preview.app in Panther blows away any PDF viewer in terms of rendering speed on any other computer I have access to. 10.2's Preview.app, on the other hand, is a different story.
You are right... Preview 2.1 is much faster. The previous one would take all day to thumbnail out every single page in that @#$@#$ drawer. (still think the drawer is dumb dumb dumb... and I use Prview 1.1 for that reason... no way to whittle down a collection of photos since you can't "close" items in the drawer.. 1.1 opens each in its own window) (I'd be very happy if they just made this a preference).

Mike

Brass
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2004, 07:39 PM

I like continuous scrolling in a PDF viewer. I can do this in Preview by changing the settings, but it does not show where the page breaks are, which is very frustrating.

So for me, PDFs often look a lot nicer in Acrobat Reader - ie, it actually looks like a series of sheets of paper, which is the way I like to view PDFs.

Can this be done in Preview? I can't find any such setting.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by xenopdx:
How can change it so that RealOne Player would launch?
You might be able to change these settings with the More Internet Pref Pane from Monkeyfood.
(I don't have it installed, though, so I'm not certain).
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Forum Links
Forum Rules