Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone got some inside info on BBedit 9?

Anyone got some inside info on BBedit 9?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 11:34 PM

I can't wait to hear features and release date. Anyone heard anything for a fact?

Thanks!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 05:17 AM

What sort of things are you hoping to see ? BBEdit is my bread and butter - I use it all day - and it seems pretty feature complete to me. There are a few things I'd like to see:

multiple clipboards, some kind of keyboard macro effect, column editing, more than 2 split panels per window...those are the main ones.

(hey waddayaknow - BBedit is recognised by the spell-checker in Tiger !)

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 06:59 AM

I'd like some sort of capability to do a search and replace, but have the replace text be appended to the end of a different document than the one being searched.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by timmerk
I can't wait to hear features and release date. Anyone heard anything for a fact?

Thanks!
Yeah... full cocoa, 37 MB executable... what else you want to know?

Thor
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
What sort of things are you hoping to see ? BBEdit is my bread and butter - I use it all day - and it seems pretty feature complete to me. There are a few things I'd like to see:

multiple clipboards, some kind of keyboard macro effect, column editing, more than 2 split panels per window...those are the main ones.

(hey waddayaknow - BBedit is recognised by the spell-checker in Tiger !)

multiple clipboards

BBEdit has had multiple clipboards since v6.0

some kind of keyboard macro effect

Do you mean something besides:
BBEdit > Set menu keys...
?
column editing
Introduced in v7.0, iirc

more than 2 split panels per window
I don't usually split my windows, and can see how this might be useful.
I do occasionally use markers, though.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Thor

BBEdit has had multiple clipboards since v6.0
Thanks. Somehow I missed that one

Originally Posted by Thor
Do you mean something besides:
BBEdit > Set menu keys...
?

Yeah. I mean like, i type 'mnn' and hit a key combo and it gets expanded to "Mac NN The Macintosh News Network', or something.

Also, the HTML editing tools are stuck in the dark ages as far as user interface goes.

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 03:24 PM

I don't know, but BBedit has been getting slower and slower which each release. I think they should rewrite it. There is lots of old code in it. I don't care if they rewrite it in carbon or cocoa, as long as it is fast as it once was. I used to be able to open up 800MB log files in it instantly before OS X days. Also, if you have the backup option in it enabled, it gets so slow that it takes 5 sec to highlight a word!

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2005, 05:27 PM

One thing I'd really like to see is real tabs - not the drawer. Also, I'd like a way to configure it to indent/dedent using tab/shift-tab like I can on every Windows editor since I'm so used to that. Finally...if they can make a Windows version, I'd be all over that

porieux
Baninated
Jun 30, 2005, 07:00 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:44 AM. )

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2005, 07:33 PM

Why? I have to use Windows so why not want one of the best editors on both my platforms? Be serious. Some of us have work to do.

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by alex_kac
Why? I have to use Windows so why not want one of the best editors on both my platforms? Be serious. Some of us have work to do.
Your the president and founder or your company - you don't have to use Windows.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2005, 01:06 AM

I do when our company is primarily developing Windows Mobile software. I adore OS X and I use it for almost everything. I run our company on Macs, but I develop on Windows. I own 2 iPods, 2 PowerBook G4 Al, a Dual G5, a G5 iMac, a Dual G4 MDD, and a ton more. But our business is 99% Windows Mobile. I also love Windows Mobile - which has little to do with Windows desktop except that to develop I must use Visual Studio and Windows. Now unfortunately, XCode still doesn't have anything against Visual Studio 2005. Its just nowhere in the same league. Visual Studio 2005 and Trillian are the only two apps on Windows I prefer using on Windows than their OS X equivalents. I use UltraEdit on Windows for many things, but I'd greatly prefer BBEdit.

So - let me repeat. Be serious - some of us have real work to do.

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 01:09 AM

Visual Studio 2005 and Trillian are the only two apps on Windows I prefer using on Windows than their OS X equivalents. I use UltraEdit on Windows for many things, but I'd greatly prefer BBEdit.

So - let me repeat. Be serious - some of us have real work to do.
Trillian? YOU be serious. Some of us are not 11 year old girls.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2005, 01:14 AM

Trillian Pro supports encrypted chat which is critical when working with co-workers, a chat history that blows away any other IM app on any platform, and everything else that Adium, Fire, and such provide.

Why are you being so childish? The Mac is an awesome platform. I use it as a business platform running my accounting, marketing, and web maintenance from. I run our servers on it.

I know, I know - I shouldn't get all riled up over somebody trolling, but its hard not to. Its quite obvious from your responses that you just don't know much and its not my job to educate.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 03:09 AM

I want to see real tabs, complete over-haul of the preferences so that it conforms to the OS X look and feel (aka system preference look), real templates (like DW), complete rewrite so it's OS X native and all old code is abolished so it's fast. Find/Replace prefs (like keep always start at top checked). etc.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2005, 03:33 AM

Yes, good ones. The prefs are quite difficult to navigate. I think it is OS X native now - just written in Carbon which is quite all right with me. It already is fast, so I don't think anything there needs to be done.

Mainly a big UI polish, redo the awful toolbar/menu thingy that's at the top of every window. Also would be nice if one could select an entire line when clicking on the line number/blank area on the left. Code folding is almost required at this point. TextMate has it. Why not BBEdit?

Dockable FTP windows for easier use of the FTP sheet. Better compare functions - something like Beyond Compare would be awesome. A ton more window managing/split options would be nice too.

BBedit is awesome, no doubt about it, but it does need more work than what 7 and 8 have provided lately.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2005, 04:57 AM

If you use Windows, check out UltraEdit - it's the nearest thing to BBEdit on Windows, and leads it in a few areas too.

Back to BBEdit - sorry, but I checked out the column editing and it doesn't cut it, not by a long shot. All you can do is cut'n'paste columns, but I want to be able to select a column of text, start typing and have that text applied to every column selected. SubEthaEdit does this - and that's what I resort to at the moment when I need this functionality.

...in fact, I'd be happy to see SEE brought up to speed with BBEdit. I much prefer the 'feel' of SEE (and of course, the collaborative editing is totally unique).

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 08:08 AM

He says above that he uses UltraEdit, but would like a version BBEdit instead.
Agent69

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2005, 12:42 PM

Yep, I do use UltraEdit already. It does have some things that lead over BBEdit, but things like BBedits' Tools, HTML palette, syntax coloring, its own unique Grep search/replace, multi-file search/replace, etc... are just so so much better. My windows laptop and my main desktop Mac sits on the same desk so many times I transfer the files over to the Mac to work with. But that's not feasible when I travel and only have my windows laptop (centrino rocks and I'm SO happy future powerbooks will probably use it - I'm actually hoping to have a dual boot laptop a year or two down the road).

johnt519
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2005, 02:38 PM

Also would be nice if one could select an entire line when clicking on the line number/blank area on the left.
Try the Editing: General preferences panel - Allow Single-Click Line Selection

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2005, 02:43 PM

Awesome. Been using BBedit since 2.x (I think...maybe it was 4.x) and have never noticed that option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules