Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How are the new flatpanel displays for color and contrast?

How are the new flatpanel displays for color and contrast?
Nelsun
Aug 16, 2003, 06:34 PM

A quick question. This is the first time I've posted in this section, didn't realize it was here till recently. I hope my question has not been asked recently, excuse me if it has.

I'm a newly independant industrial designer. I am about to upgrade to new systems for my work. I am likely buying a new 17" G4 laptop. And eventually the G5 with a 20" Flatplanel display.

I use PhotoShop, Illustrator and mostly a CAD application called Ashlar Vellum Cobalt. My work involves renderings using PhotoShop and photorealistic computer generated images from the CAD app. Eventually, I'd like to fool around with Painter too.

The question is, when I look at the images on my current system using my very old Sony CRT monitor, I can see pretty good color and contrast. What concerns me a little is how good the images look on the new flat panels, both laptop and desktop. I know the Apple desktop displays are very good. Right now, my old G3 powerbook looks less then close to the monitor.

But what do you guys think, particular those who use Photoshop a lot and print to a haigh quality desktop printer. I'll be going to an Apple store to see myself with my own images.

Thanks! Nelson

PixelPete17
Aug 18, 2003, 06:48 PM

Cinema Displays are close to perfect.

Laptop displays are not even close for high-end work, but can be calibrated to get within a reasonably accurate working environment for working on the road, knowing that final color tweaks will need to be done on a high end display like the CD or a calibrated CRT.

I do high end advertising print design, and some web design for myself and fun, and can tell you as fact that many high end design firms work off of the Cinema Display as their sole monitor. They are nearly perfect and can be calibrated to get tweaked to be even closer to perfect. However, perfection is never achieved, so don't go looking for perfection in any display. Most LCDs though are nowhere's near the same quality as Apple's displays, so for your own good, only consider Apple LCD's or a big calibrated CRT. I know FORMAC and a maybe a couple of others are decent, but not for my money and they don't have the same hardware reliability as Apple either.

Hope this helps,

PixelPete

P.S. - if you do some of your own research you'll find a ton of posts echoing what I've just said.

Nelsun  (op)
Aug 19, 2003, 03:52 AM

PixelPete-

Thanks for the feedback. My goal was always the Apple 20" Cinema flat panel display. I appreciate the thoughts and you've confirmed what I thought. The desktop displays are going to be great and the laptops LCD will not quite be as good.

Nelson

Xaaron Swiftblade
Aug 24, 2003, 07:47 PM

I just ordered a 17" studio display, is it the same quality as the cinema displays?

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2003, 08:16 AM

to begin with the 20" cinema does use quite a high quality chi-mei panel as I remember correctly.. those things get some real care and the color is indeed good.

As I know.. the 17" studio was quite a good monitor when released, I'm suspicious that the LCD assembly itself was changed about a year ago.. maybe even a few months ago, from the LG screen to a samsung one, but have no idea... seeing from gallery picts it seems the current 17" is much brighter then the older ones.
Aloha

voyageur
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Xaaron Swiftblade:
I just ordered a 17" studio display, is it the same quality as the cinema displays?
Both are nice displays, but the 20" Cinema has a higher contrast ratio and is noticeably brighter than the 17" Flat (I use them both).

Forum Links
Forum Rules