Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple: shipping "all orders for G5 machines this month."

Apple: shipping "all orders for G5 machines this month."
frownyfrank
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2003, 06:54 PM

"An Apple spokeswoman says the company remains on target to ship all orders for G5 machines this month."

From Forbes.com

Permission to yell 'Hurrah' at an annoyingly loud volume?

johnt519
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2003, 08:10 PM

Ummm. .. then why is the "estimated ship date" of my dual G5 listed as 10/2/03?

tikki
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 08:51 PM

If true, all I can say is "oh glorius day, Pip!"

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by johnt519:
Because it might get bumped forward to August 31?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 10:56 PM

On-or-before dates are a form of insurance on a company's part. It doesn't mean that your ship date will be October 2nd, just that they expect to have your order on its way to you no later than that. It could ship a couple of days before, a couple of weeks before, or even earlier.

Earlier by how much, you ask? That's what we don't know, but this is a positive sign.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 9, 2003, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by johnt519:
When did you order it, and did the order change?

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 12:10 AM

What apple means by that is they'll start giving people tracking numbers by the 31st...

Usually what happens is about 2000 people get them on the 31st and they actually get their machines 2 weeks later.

I'm VERY familiar with this now. lol.
Aloha

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 12:52 AM

I ordered my dual 2.0 on 6/24 and have an estimated ship date of 8/29. YEAH, I sure hope they are on schedule.

Norty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2003, 12:27 PM

We shall see. But the big question is will we get Panther on our machines or are they going to charge us for that a whole month or so later?

(ordered dual2ghz, 2gig ram, 2-250gig hard drives, 9800 card...so hurry up already!)

Conscript
Aug 11, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Norty:
We shall see. But the big question is will we get Panther on our machines or are they going to charge us for that a whole month or so later?

(ordered dual2ghz, 2gig ram, 2-250gig hard drives, 9800 card...so hurry up already!)
I hope you're not counting on it, because I seriously doubt anyone who has pre ordered is going to get Panther...
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30 GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

redcalx
Aug 11, 2003, 12:55 PM

I hate to ruin everyones excitement but I think what the spokesperson meant to say is that all orders slated for delivery in August will be shipping FOR SURE in august.

Although I do understand the point of Apple using later dates as insurance to themselves "incase" of whatever, it still seems very unlikely that my dual G5 which is scheduled to ship on October 9th is going to ship in August.

If it does it will be a very nice birthday present for me if it arrives at the begening of september, but I just don't know about this...

Also, heh, I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to start a thread regarding this news.

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 01:00 PM

Yeah, this thread took longer than expected to start.

My 1.8 GHZ is scheduled to ship on 9/9/03 (or before). Since this is my fist Mac, what is Apple's prior track record. I heard with some G4's they were way behind? Is this true? What did people do?

kcourt
Aug 11, 2003, 01:10 PM

<<I hope you're not counting on it, because I seriously doubt anyone who has pre ordered is going to get Panther...>>

When I visited the Apple store last week, they said definitely that the Panther system WOULD NOT be on the new G5's!

Bbazzarrakk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2003, 01:42 PM

Where is everyone seing these "on or before" dates? I ordered from the Apple Store and the only time frame I notice was when it guessed 7-10 weeks delivery time. My order status is currently just "Open" as near as I can tell, and I don't see any other dates. Am I just blind?

Baz

idyll
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 02:12 PM

When you click on "Details" you should see it.

Bbazzarrakk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2003, 03:00 PM

Ah, yes. Thank you. My order is "on or before 10/09/03". I admit it, I ordered late. I had to knock the credit card down a little before I threw a G5 on it.

Baz

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 03:39 PM

Dual G5, Order placed on the 21st July, Arrival date is On or Before 29th September.

Which is expected, as the ship time was 7 to 10 weeks, and the 29th of September is exactly 10 weeks.

What would be interesting once they start shipping is to work out the average time between placing the order and receiving the order - then people can work out a bit better how long they have to wait.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

idyll
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 07:40 PM

My date is.. On or before 8/29/2003. It's getting closer and closer...

teh tenk
Aug 11, 2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
My date is.. On or before 8/29/2003. It's getting closer and closer...
Mine is 8/27 for some reason, and I haven't seen anyone else with an 8/27 date either.

But hey, it will be here soon...

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 12:20 AM

Do you think Apple will give all G5 users a free update to MacOS X 10.3 when it is released?

Didn't they do this with some computers before with an OS that was about to come out?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Nodnibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2003, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by teh tenk:
Mine is 8/27 for some reason, and I haven't seen anyone else with an 8/27 date either.

But hey, it will be here soon...
Ah! thats my birthday!

Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 04:11 AM

I'm such a slacker, I held out on ordering the 2.0 G5. I'm planning on ordering 2 or 3 23" lcd's I'm $600 from the 3rd 23 right now. I just wished they would have released a 30"

Now I'm goona wait so long for my 2.0 to ship the 3.0 will be ready for preorder
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

goto11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2003, 10:00 PM

MacConnection just told me that my dualie G5 is scheduled to ship on 9/10. They said 8/15 last week. Ahem.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 11:21 PM

I think I'm going to hold off ordering my dual until I can get it with Panther included (either installed or in the box -- makes no difference to me). It's only a few extra weeks anyway.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
It's only a few extra weeks anyway.
So you think Next thing u know its "Merry Christmas"
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

teh tenk
Aug 15, 2003, 01:23 AM

Apple is shady.

That is all.

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2003, 08:01 AM

I'm still thinking about whether I'm going to get the G5 at this time. The fact is, I have a good machine already, and if it just isn't proving to be too slow (except it could run Unreal Tournament 2003 a bit better).

I'm also torn on what configuration I should go with. Should I spend the extra $300 to go with the 9800 pro? Should I bump down to the Combo drive since I've never burned DVD's on my current Powermac?

At this point, I'm waiting for Panther. There is no way I plan on buying a G5 and then spending an extra $129 on top of that.

Ugh, knowing my compulsion, I'll probably wind up getting one. And, if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right and go for the Dual 2 GHZ. The only question will be what card I should get and whether I should stick with the Super Drive.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

goto11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by businezguy:
At this point, I'm waiting for Panther. There is no way I plan on buying a G5 and then spending an extra $129 on top of that.
Wait a second. Say that again. I assumed I would get Panther as a free upgrade with the G5. If I don't, I'm cancelling my order immediately and waiting for Panther to be released. Please provide a link if you have one. Thanks.

Bbazzarrakk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2003, 11:48 AM

Wait a second. Say that again. I assumed I would get Panther as a free upgrade with the G5. If I don't, I'm cancelling my order immediately and waiting for Panther to be released. Please provide a link if you have one. Thanks.
The keyword in your statement is "assumed". Apple has said nothing like this. Please, provide some links of your own, if I'm just missing the announcement.

My guess work is that G5 owners will likely get Panther pretty cheap. Apple usually offers an "Up to Date" program with new operating systems for people who have recently purchased machines. That generally gets you caught up for around $20, if memory serves. This is just by best guess though.

Facts aside, someone is going to have to explain these "I'm waiting on XXX..." messages to me someday. I don't know about everybody else, but my G5 order was a little over $5,000. Holding out for a $130 OS after that seems, pretty damn insane to me. I know Panther is coming and I know I want it and will buy it, but should that really stop my computer purchase?! "Longhorn" is coming too, eventually; have PC sales dried up yet?

The real problem is, how long do you wait? Apple releases a new OS about every year and a half and since I don't expect Panther to be the end of the line, do we wait for what comes next too? Right around Panther's release, the Rev. B G5 ought to be getting some talk; do we wait on that? Heck, some people think we should wait on those anyway, which is pretty dang crazy to me too, but for that's a topic for a different post. (Short story: If Rev. A G5 has problems, Apples will fix them.) It's usually to Apple's advantage to keep doing a little talking about what's coming next so we can see they're still moving along, but under this line of "wait, wait, wait..." reasoning that would keep us from ever buying any of their products!

I can understand waiting a few weeks, if a Mac Expo is coming up, but anything else seems to be going a bit far to me. I consider a lot of things when I'm buying a new computer, but guesses about what Apple might invent next isn't one of them.

In the imortal words of Dennis Miller, "Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

Baz

goto11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Bbazzarrakk:
I can understand waiting a few weeks, if a Mac Expo is coming up, but anything else seems to be going a bit far to me. I consider a lot of things when I'm buying a new computer, but guesses about what Apple might invent next isn't one of them.
I consider this imminent release of Panther to be along the same lines as a Mac Expo. It's supposed to come out in September. It seems unreasonable for them to ship me a G5 one week and then expect me to pay to upgrade the OS the next week.

I am spending some serious cash on the G5 as well, but if waiting a week can save me $129, I will absolutely do it. Why would I give that money away?

Bbazzarrakk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2003, 01:35 PM

I consider this imminent release of Panther to be along the same lines as a Mac Expo. It's supposed to come out in September.
Your information is definitely coming from somewhere other than Apple. Panther is due "By the end of the year", has been since the day it was announced. That's December 31st, just to be clear, not September.

Baz

goto11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Bbazzarrakk:
Your information is definitely coming from somewhere other than Apple. Panther is due "By the end of the year", has been since the day it was announced. That's December 31st, just to be clear, not September.

Baz
Fair enough. Here's my source:

http://www.macnn.com/news/20566

Like you said, Apple's official stance is EOY. Fine. But if the talk is true and it does ship in September, I would expect the G5 to come with a free upgrade.

And you probably didn't have to tell me what day the year ended.

Bbazzarrakk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2003, 03:31 PM

But if the talk is true and it does ship in September...
I had missed this batch of rumors, thanks for the link.

I must admit that I remain doubtful though. Apple just spent some serious effort getting "Smeagol" ready so it could ship G5s. I imagine that if Panther was really a couple of weeks out, they could have saved themselves quite a bit of effort by combining the releases.

I've been wrong before though, so we'll just have to wait and see.

In the end, I'm betting your not far off in your guess, for Apple's definition of the word "free" (~$20). Still it hasn't been promised, so if it's this important to you, I recomend waiting on your order.

Baz

Forum Links
Forum Rules