Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Panther X.3 is FREE (well, US$20) for ALL G5 owners.

Panther X.3 is FREE (well, US$20) for ALL G5 owners. (Page 2)
Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 04:05 AM

Don't worry about the serial number not showing up. I noticed this with my BTO as well. Just got off the phone today with my Rep and he sent me the order form said that they will send you the upgrade. Does your machines sn start with XB???
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

Bbazzarrakk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 09:22 AM

If I want to reformat my computer I don't want to install 10.2 and then format it again with 10.3. Stupid.
See and I would say spending $130 when you could spend $20, because of something that might inconvenience you a little once or twice in the machine's life could be stupid. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Baz

devmage
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
You're sorta mistaken. It WILL do a full install -- but only if it finds some version of OS X already installed. That is, if you choose the clean install option, you have the option to completely erase the drive you're about to install the "upgrade" onto.

There is more of a difference between discs than just the ink on the printed side, but it's just one little file that tells the installer whether it's a upgrader or full install CD -- you can image the disc, remove the special file, and then burn the image to disc and have a fully working installer CD.

tooki
Sounds great, I only have one question for you. What is the special file?

Devmage

ZildjianKX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 03:09 PM

I hate how everyone says G5 owners get it for free... its not free, its $20 but should be free.

If the discs are the full version, I'll pay the $20... if they are upgrade discs, then screw it.

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by ZildjianKX:
I hate how everyone says G5 owners get it for free... its not free, its $20 but should be free.

If the discs are the full version, I'll pay the $20... if they are upgrade discs, then screw it.
Why do some people get so bent out of shape over upgrade discs? In the past I did the hack and imaged an update disc minus the installer script to check for a previous OSX and it worked fine. A $109 discount on 10.3 is nothing then? If you get the full retail version why don't you buy the upgrade disc for $19 and give it to a Mac Buddy of yours

-Jerry C.
( Last edited by Hydra; Oct 10, 2003 at 04:32 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules