Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Review: 15" Powerbook, Radtech Screensavrs, iSkin, and Booq Vyper Sleeve

Review: 15" Powerbook, Radtech Screensavrs, iSkin, and Booq Vyper Sleeve
asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 11:43 PM

Well, I wanted to use the Powerbook before I typed up a short review on it. I received the PB 5 days ago, and I am happy to say that it was a good investment. I wont go into details about the actual system itself (this is my first Mac and I still have plenty to learn) but I will give some other potential PB owners somethings that I liked, disliked, etc.

This was my first Mac that I have purchased. I have been using PC's for a good 6-7 years before I decided to make the change. With that said, I will probably never go back to PC's again. The only time I use my PC now is to transfer over some songs/pictures that I have on the HD to the PB or to play CounterStrike for a few minutes. I love OSX and Windows cannot compare to it. Even after using PC's for so long, I still found it complicating at times, even when doing things that seem so basic with the Mac. OSX is just so much cleaner and simple to use compared to Windows XP.

Design and Looks
The 15" PB looks amazing. The moment I opened up the box, I took a few seconds just to take it all in. The silver finish is beautiful and the glowing apple sign on the front of the laptop made me feel like the money I spent went to a good cause (hahaha this is just based on looks). The track pad is another thing that impressed me. Being able to scroll using the track pad makes browsing websites, photos, songs, etc. so much more convenient. Also, the backlit keyboard is also another + in design. Some people dont find it necessary, but I use it all the time in a dark room and its convenient to have. The sensors under the speakers that adjust the screen brightness and backlit keyboard brightness is also a great addition.

OSX and Panther
Coming from Windows XP Home edition, I thought that I would have trouble using a new OS and basically a new computer. When I turned on the Mac, registration was simple and I was ready to go right then and there. I was having trouble getting used to the fact that when you "maximize" something, it doesnt take up the entire screen. It just "maximizes" enough for you to see what youre doing (best fit). Since I was still thinking like a "PC user" I had trouble locating things and this frustrated me. Other than that, everything else was a breeze.

Updating the OS and other applications was simple as well. Windows also updates itself but I think Apple took it to the next level and made it even simpler. When you have updates, they name them so that you know what youre updating. With Windows on the other hand, you download patches named K5239BK2 and K12840Z3 and it gets difficult to track which patch did what.

The Dock is similar to a PC's task bar. I thought I would have some trouble getting used to the dock and not having a task bar to show me which windows were opened or minimized. Once I started using the PB, I noticed that there was no need for a task bar. The Dock tells you which applications are opened and the icons even move to grab your attention.

Another thing that I loved about OSX is finder. I guess you can compare this to Windows Explorer. Finder organizes all of your files, applications, networks, etc. and makes locating things very simple. Sure Windows uses "My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, etc." but I think that Finder does a better job of organizing things.

Theres so much more to say, but I'll move on to some other areas.

Applications
iLife '05 is awesome, especially because it comes with the Mac for free. iPhoto organizes photos very efficiently and blows "My Pictures" out of the water. Organizing photos with iPhoto is a breeze. The editing features of iPhoto are basic but useful. I was expecting a lot more based on Apple's description of iPhoto so once I started using it, I was a bit disappointed. Another thing that I did not like about iPhoto is that there really isnt a "full screen/actual photo size" option. If I took a picture at 1600x1200 pixels (just an example), I would like to see it in its actual size. So to view the actual photo size, I would have to open the picture into a separate edit window, and then choose 100% photo size. This bothered me a little, but once I get Photoshop, it shouldnt be a problem. Resizing images was another downside to iPhoto. Exporting images wasnt very fun for me, especially when you have to resize a decent amount of pictures (can you resize in batches?).

Havent had a chance to use the other applications in iLife (except iTunes) so I cant really comment on those. Safari is a pretty good web browser. It was a bit slow compared to IE but you cant win them all. Wasnt too painful. I do like the download window that shows up so I know what I'm downloading at all times.

Guess I'll just briefly go over some other things. The wide screen LCD on the PB is awesome. The screen is vibrant but doesnt bother my eyes. The text is a bit small, but you can always adjust this to suit you. The speakers arent all that great, but thats expected with a laptop. The 15" PB was a little bigger than I expected as well. When I actually saw a 12" and 15" side by side, I was amazed on how much bigger the 15" was. If youre aiming for portability, the 12" is your best bet.

Well that was my brief review on the PB. For those of you that are deciding between a PC and a Mac, I would have to say the Mac has the edge over the PC. I'm not a die hard Mac fan and wont bash on the PC too much. I still think that PC's handle games way better than the Mac, but overall, the Mac is a lot better.

Radtech Screensavrs
Picked this up when I ordered my PB. I wanted to take all necessary precautions so I spent the 20 bucks or so to get it. I bought it to protect the PB's screen from oil, dirt, and scratches but also used it to buff a scratch on the LCD screen. After a quick scrub with the Screensavr, the scratch was gone. Nice.

iSkin Keyboard Cover
Ordered this for the same reason I ordered the Screensavr. Some people suggested it in case you spill something over your keyboard and to keep other foreign elements out. It takes a while to get used to, but it does quiet the keyboard down a little. I did notice that the keyboard feels a little warmer when the iSkin is on. Also, if you spilled enough liquid onto the iSkin,the liquid would probably just roll over into the speakers, so thats not much help. I dont think I really need it, but I guess I'll put it to good use.

BOOQ Vyper M Sleeve
When I purchased this, I was expecting a heavy duty sleeve to protect my PB. When I got it, I was VERY disappointed. I thought it would use some kind of plush, heavy duty material, but it was actually a very thin, hard material. The inside is very smooth so that was good and the PB fits very well inside. It was definitely not worth 40 dollars. Even if it were 20 dollars, I would not have gotten it. Too late now, so I'll have to use it.

Well hope that helps other potential PB buyers.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

osxisfun
Apr 27, 2005, 01:11 AM

I am going to order the radtech screensaver as well...

this is the slip case i am going to order

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?p...cdd606b670dfc1

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 01:30 AM

if i find a piece of glass i can spare.. i should try it with the vyper sleeve. ahh!
Dell 2408WFP

tbd
Apr 27, 2005, 06:09 PM

I just got a sleeve from http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleev...leevecases.htm and it is great. You can order it to open from the top so I just slip the whole thing in my backpack and I can take just the laptop out. I really recommend one of these.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 06:21 PM

wow.. i wish i had seen that before i ordered the vyper sleeve. maybe i should just sell the vyper sleeve..
Dell 2408WFP

AlanMitchell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 12:13 AM

Read your review and was a litle surprised. I bought a Booq Viper for my TiBook and I love it. It's got a hard shell, which means it protects far more than one of the soft fabric or vinyl sleeves. The inside is nice and soft and it fits the TiBook like a glove. I carry my PB around a lot, usually in a bag with lots of other stuff (extra battery, headphones, power brick, DVD cases, etc.), so I think it's perfect. Would recommend it if you want some real solid protection for your PB.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 01:24 AM

hmm the hardshell was what bothered me. im sure it would protect the pb from scratches, but if i accidently dropped it, it wouldnt absorb much of the shock. i was expecting something more cushion-y thats all.
Dell 2408WFP

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2005, 11:42 AM

just sold my booq vyper m sleeve (not good enough for me) and purchased a waterfield sleeve. i just placed the order now, so i'm guessing it will come sometime next week (i think he hand makes them? so it might take some time). i'll let you guys know which ones better. they cost about the same (the waterfield is a dollar cheaper).
Dell 2408WFP

tbd
Apr 30, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
just sold my booq vyper m sleeve (not good enough for me) and purchased a waterfield sleeve. i just placed the order now, so i'm guessing it will come sometime next week (i think he hand makes them? so it might take some time). i'll let you guys know which ones better. they cost about the same (the waterfield is a dollar cheaper).
Waterfield is so fast. I ordered mine at ~4pm pacific time and I got an email that evening saying he shipped it out. I had it a day later. Their customer service is unbelievable.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2005, 12:20 PM

awesome! are you located in california? well since today is saturday.. i doubt it will ship out before monday.. unless he finishes it now and drops it off at the post office before 2 or so. either way, the laptop will stay put for now (until i insure it through safeware).

is the waterfield sleeve thick? im hoping it will be some what cushion-y.
Dell 2408WFP

tbd
Apr 30, 2005, 01:05 PM

awesome! are you located in california? well since today is saturday.. i doubt it will ship out before monday.. unless he finishes it now and drops it off at the post office before 2 or so. either way, the laptop will stay put for now (until i insure it through safeware).

is the waterfield sleeve thick? im hoping it will be some what cushion-y.
No, I'm all the way on the other coast (I also got faster than normal shipping, but it was shipped out ASAP). Its not super-thick, but it is cushiony I think. It has a cushiony layer and then the outside layer is tougher--seems like a nice combo to me.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 12:20 AM

yea they said "minimalistic" but i dont want something too thick. i wish i saw the waterfield sleeve before the booq vyper sleeve. zipping up the case would become impractical. im glad i can just leave the sleeve in my bag now and just pull out the pb.
Dell 2408WFP

jaknudsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by tbd
Waterfield is so fast. I ordered mine at ~4pm pacific time and I got an email that evening saying he shipped it out. I had it a day later. Their customer service is unbelievable.
Have to agree, I got my sleeve 40 hours after i ordered, and I got it delivered to a tiny village approx 30 miles outside Oslo, Norway. Couldn't believe my eyes!

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
May 4, 2005, 09:09 PM

Just got the Waterfield sleeve in the mail today. This sleeve blows the Booq Vyper sleeve out of the water. The design is flawless. The exterior seems like it can go through a lot and the interior is as smooth as silk. It offers more "padding" than the Vyper sleeve and the design is a lot better too. With the flap on the Waterfield sleeve, I can leave the sleeve inside my backpack and slide out the powerbook. No zippers involved. I would recommend this sleeve to everyone. Its awesome.
Dell 2408WFP

osxisfun
May 6, 2005, 12:08 PM

Just got the Waterfield sleeve in the mail today. This sleeve blows the Booq Vyper sleeve out of the water. The design is flawless. The exterior seems like it can go through a lot and the interior is as smooth as silk. It offers more "padding" than the Vyper sleeve and the design is a lot better too. With the flap on the Waterfield sleeve, I can leave the sleeve inside my backpack and slide out the powerbook. No zippers involved. I would recommend this sleeve to everyone. Its awesome.

I finally got mine. This sleeve is AMAZING... thanks for the heads up on it.

I love the neoprene inside. I love the fact it has some thickness to the walls. I love the bottom checkerboard look. i like the velcro flappflap flap thing keeps things snug.

no zippers. top loading. easy to grab out of my bag.

This truly is the Royal with cheese of all powerbook sleeves.

Goes well inside of my timbukt2 mess bag.
( Last edited by osxisfun; May 6, 2005 at 12:15 PM. )

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
I finally got mine. This sleeve is AMAZING... thanks for the heads up on it.

I love the neoprene inside. I love the fact it has some thickness to the walls. I love the bottom checkerboard look. i like the velcro flappflap flap thing keeps things snug.

no zippers. top loading. easy to grab out of my bag.

This truly is the Royal with cheese of all powerbook sleeves.

Goes well inside of my timbukt2 mess bag.
The WaterField sleeve truly rocks! I got mine with the WF Cargo bag - expensive, but the best damn bag I've ever owned. You should see the bag with the paraglider buckle - awesome! I've got over 2 million air miles and did not really want to look at the seatbelt buckle...

Loved the "Royalwith cheese" reference - Pulp Fiction is my all time favorite movie!
( Last edited by roadracr; May 6, 2005 at 03:17 PM. )
G4 PB15, 1.67 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM, 100 GB HD
G4 iMac20, 1.25 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 160 MB HD

osxisfun
May 6, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by roadracr
The WaterField sleeve truly rocks! I got mine with the WF Cargo bag - expensive, but the best damn bag I've ever owned. You should see the bag with the paraglider buckle - awesome! I've got over 2 million air miles and did not really want to look at the seatbelt buckle...

Loved the "Royalwith cheese" reference - Pulp Fiction is my all time favorite movie!

Sit down Flock of Seagulls!

(my favorite line ever made in a movie!)

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun

Sit down Flock of Seagulls!

(my favorite line ever made in a movie!)
I'd like to tell the folks in the "For all the PowerBook is good enough people" thread:

"We're all gonna be little Fonzies here" as I get out my BMF wallet...

(Now I'm probably risking a violation for getting way off topic)
G4 PB15, 1.67 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM, 100 GB HD
G4 iMac20, 1.25 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 160 MB HD

kleckersteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 02:57 PM

I have the Booq vyper and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. Comparing the vyper with a full-featured sleeve is just not right. My Vyper fits my 15" PB like a glove, and the sleeve is so slim it slides into any of my bags (which is what it was made for). It's also much lighter than anything out there. If you want a sleeve that protects your IB/PB while in another bag, get the booq vyper. The only thing is that you'll have to wait, since the vyper is almost always out of stock. I waited 2 months, but it was well worth it!!!

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
May 28, 2005, 02:56 PM

Well I've had both the Booq Vyper and the Waterfield sleeve and I think it ends in no contest. The Waterfield sleeve is just too nice. The two sleeves are similarly priced. The extra 10-15 bucks I spent on the Waterfield case was well worth it.
Dell 2408WFP

osxisfun
May 28, 2005, 02:59 PM

Well I've had both the Booq Vyper and the Waterfield sleeve and I think it ends in no contest. The Waterfield sleeve is just too nice. The two sleeves are similarly priced. The extra 10-15 bucks I spent on the Waterfield case was well worth it.

the slightly xtra padding of the wf sleeve give me a little protection as i am using a timbuk2 mess bag. not a tmbk2 laptop bag.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 11:14 PM

Question about the Waterfield sleeve..
Is it waterproof? or water resistant? Anyone compare this to the Shinza sleeve?
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

osxisfun
May 28, 2005, 11:40 PM

its perrty thick weave. i am not sure if its water proof but the some models come without a top flap so its not really for that.

i had a shinza before this. did not like it a quarter as much as i like my waterfield.

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
May 30, 2005, 02:21 PM

eircsson: i think you should e-mail gary at waterfield. he should be able to help.

so far, i am loving the waterfield sleeve. the pocket in the back is useful too.
Dell 2408WFP

Forum Links
Forum Rules