Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is your PB12" exhibiting white spots?

View Poll Results: Does your PB12" have white spots on the screen?
Poll Options:
Yes 8 votes (25.81%)
No 23 votes (74.19%)
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll
Is your PB12" exhibiting white spots?
ursus
Feb 10, 2006, 09:55 AM

My 12" PB (1.5GHz) have during the past six months steadily been developing white spots. As Apple seems to be totally unaware of the problem ("I've never heard of white spots on a 12"", said Apple support to me when I called), I'm creating a poll to see if I'm the only one affected.

Best regards!
marcus

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2006, 10:04 AM

Yup, right in the middle towards the right side of the screen. I have AppleCare and complained but they said "it is normal"....
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

ursus  (op)
Feb 11, 2006, 12:14 PM

The ASP technician took a two-second look and concluded that the lid had been "exposed to pressure" and suddenly the burden of proof lay on me, even though my PB is in mint condition. This is unacceptable, a PB must be able to take normal handling like laying in a bag (and in a laptop sleeve, in my case) without screen damage. It's a laptop damnit!

tomato71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 04:52 PM

What rev. are we talking about here? My Rev. B is fine.

jmgriff
Feb 11, 2006, 05:04 PM

Rev. C 12" Powerbook ... no spots evident (*touches wood*).

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 05:29 PM

my 1.3 ghz G4 powerbook developed a small dime size white spot about 4 months after I got it. it didn't bother me so much so I didn't get the screen replaced before the warrenty lapsed.

now there is another one next to it but its much smaller.

Powerbook 12" screens suck anyhow... dark, poor view angle... really total crap compared to whats available.

ursus  (op)
Feb 12, 2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by NYCFarmboy
Powerbook 12" screens suck anyhow... dark, poor view angle... really total crap compared to whats available.
Second that. I'm always envious of my friend's VAIO laptop. X-Brite... *sigh*

My PB is a 1.5GHz, btw. That makes it a Rev D, right?
Macbook C2D 2GHz, 2Gb, 160Gb.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2006, 01:19 PM

No white spots on my 12" PB, purchased in September'05. FWIW, the screen is bright and the viewing angle not that bad. Not as bright as my new iMac or older Cinema Display, but perfect for travel.
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

theyoda3
Feb 12, 2006, 03:37 PM

I had light spots and blotches on my 1.33ghz 12" PB. I called applecare and they replaced the screen for me. I had the light spots when I got it, but it got worse over time. The new screen is better then the old one, but I can still see faint light spots in the bottom corners.

ursus  (op)
Feb 12, 2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by theyoda3
I had light spots and blotches on my 1.33ghz 12" PB. I called applecare and they replaced the screen for me. I had the light spots when I got it, but it got worse over time. The new screen is better then the old one, but I can still see faint light spots in the bottom corners.
So there might be hope for me. Apple said they would get back to me with a verdict on Tuesday. Here's hoping they decide to overrule my local ASP

ursus  (op)
Feb 15, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ursus
So there might be hope for me. Apple said they would get back to me with a verdict on Tuesday. Here's hoping they decide to overrule my local ASP
Well, they said they'd have to trust the ASP's judgement. So I went by another ASP than the one I went to the first time and he took one look at it and said it was a warranty repair. *Sigh*. Well, now I'll just hand it in and wait ten days. Mmm, new screen...

milhouse
Senior User
Mar 8, 2006, 05:19 PM

I have a 12" with white spots also. AppleCare is telling me that they resulted from impact damage also (screen surface and case is unblemished over the spots) Please post back with your results and additional info that might be helpful.

Thanks and best of luck to you
"-Dodge This"

bilingual
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 06:56 PM

Milhouse, I have exactly the same situation!
( Last edited by bilingual; Mar 13, 2006 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Fixed)

milhouse
Senior User
Mar 8, 2006, 09:56 PM

Hopefully they'll replace it with a non-whitening screen. I suppose you can count yourself lucky that they replaced it at all. This is my first time and even though the apple store tech said it was a problem, the repair tech says it was due to mishandling.

If anyone can share information regarding the way they successfully had their screens replaced, I would appreciate it.

Cheers

"-Dodge This"

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2006, 12:53 AM

no spots on mine (revC).
but how true, the screen sucks (even next to a revC 15").

shame...

am praying for a 12" mac book pro (or 13.3", whatever)...
with "pro" specs...

summer, perhaps???
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2006, 01:12 AM

Occasionally, I get very uneven illumination on the screen of my first-generation 12" PowerBook, but only when the computer is relatively cold after having been awoken. After about 10 minutes the illumination evens out.

rjt1000
Senior User
Mar 9, 2006, 01:48 AM

I hated the dark dreary screen on my 12 inch 1.33 until a suggestion on the forums to change the color display profile to sRGB instead of LCD. Much better to my eye.
enjoy,
rjt1000

p.s. no spots

milhouse
Senior User
Mar 10, 2006, 06:35 PM

FYI and YMMV:

Apparently the white spots or bright regions on the Powerbook LCDs are common manufacturing defects referred to as "mura regions", "bright spots" or "bright stains".

For example:

Visual defects sometimes occur during the manufacturing of flat panel liquid crystal displays (LCDs). One class of defects includes a variety of blemishes variously called stain (English), mura (Japanese) or alluk (Korean). These blemishes appear as low contrast, non-uniform brightness regions, typically larger than single pixels. They are caused by a variety of factors such as non-uniformity distributed liquid crystal material and foreign particles within the panel. Such blemishes cannot be repaired.

See the following engineering papers for reference:

http://ailab.snu.ac.kr/publication/down/IEICE2004.pdf

http://ailab.snu.ac.kr/publication/down/SPIE2004.pdf

LCD manufacturers have quality specifications for acceptable levels of these kinds of defects (they may accept between 3-5 bright spots, depending on the size and location that are invisible under a 6% ND filter using a 50% gray background, for example).
This means that a certain number of lcd screens with mura defects will be passed on to customers in the supply chain, such as Apple, and ultimately to the consumer in the way of the finished product (laptop).

This information is in the public domain and is common knowledge in the industry.

As of today, Apple is refusing to replace the lcd on my PB12 under warranty (the PB is still under warranty and has no physical damage).

In the interest of public service, if they maintain that it was end user damage rather than a manufacturing defect, I will be evaluating the potential for other legal means to bring relief, including a class action suit.
Anyone interested may contact me through a private message (available through my profile).

I will be sure to post back with the outcome and suggestions for others in the event Apple makes the repair.

cheers
( Last edited by milhouse; Mar 10, 2006 at 06:44 PM. )
"-Dodge This"

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by milhouse
FYI and YMMV:

Apparently the white spots or bright regions on the Powerbook LCDs are common manufacturing defects referred to as "mura regions", "bright spots" or "bright stains".

For example:

Visual defects sometimes occur during the manufacturing of flat panel liquid crystal displays (LCDs). One class of defects includes a variety of blemishes variously called stain (English), mura (Japanese) or alluk (Korean). These blemishes appear as low contrast, non-uniform brightness regions, typically larger than single pixels. They are caused by a variety of factors such as non-uniformity distributed liquid crystal material and foreign particles within the panel. Such blemishes cannot be repaired.

See the following engineering papers for reference:

http://ailab.snu.ac.kr/publication/down/IEICE2004.pdf

http://ailab.snu.ac.kr/publication/down/SPIE2004.pdf

LCD manufacturers have quality specifications for acceptable levels of these kinds of defects (they may accept between 3-5 bright spots, depending on the size and location that are invisible under a 6% ND filter using a 50% gray background, for example).
This means that a certain number of lcd screens with mura defects will be passed on to customers in the supply chain, such as Apple, and ultimately to the consumer in the way of the finished product (laptop).

This information is in the public domain and is common knowledge in the industry.

As of today, Apple is refusing to replace the lcd on my PB12 under warranty (the PB is still under warranty and has no physical damage).

In the interest of public service, if they maintain that it was end user damage rather than a manufacturing defect, I will be evaluating the potential for other legal means to bring relief, including a class action suit.
Anyone interested may contact me through a private message (available through my profile).

I will be sure to post back with the outcome and suggestions for others in the event Apple makes the repair.

cheers
Ahhh - those dreaded white spots are appearing again ...

If you recall, this was a big problem - in fact, more like a plague - with the new 15" Al' PowerBook that came out late 2003 and into 2004. I bought mine in November 2003 BUT the white spots did not appear until 6 months later .. ... and here is my point ... Apple replaced the screen of my PB under warranty with no questions asked!
In fact, if I remember .... Apple recalled all models within a certain serial number range and replaced the screens! Although some people had to have their PB screens replaced two or three times - I was lucky I guess, mine has been OK since then.
Good luck
voicebox

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 09:08 AM

Is this a terribly common problem? I was considering buying a 12" powerbook G4 when the equivalent Intel-based model comes out. I was going to do this on Ebay, because I figure that the price will fall on and I will still get a relatively new laptop. Should I just get a first revision intel?

milhouse
Senior User
Mar 11, 2006, 12:30 PM

FYI:

I am a Quality Engineer and am providing some basic information in order to educate those impacted by the white spot issue.

I created a brief page to disseminate information regarding white spots. Those previously impacted may find it helpful in negotiating with Apple. Potential buyers should check out their machines with a light to 50% gray background in order to view white or dark spots.

I encourage everyone to educate themselves.

Enjoy

http://web.mac.com/bluloo/iWeb/Site/Blog/Blog.html
"-Dodge This"

milhouse
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 03:30 PM

FYI,

Though the white spots are largely cosmetic and the usability of an impacted screen is still high, this issue can be a pain in the neck.

In my case, Apple insisted that the white spots were caused by impact damage or excessive pressure, despite the existence of white spot defects and despite the lack of evidence of an impact.

However, because it came through the Apple store Genius bar and they determined it was a defect of the LCD panel, they authorized the repair for my PB on an exception basis.

I'd suggest that, as soon as the laptop is purchased and set up, the desktop background is set to light gray and examined for white spot defects. Otherwise, you are likely looking at a costly "repair". I think I was lucky.

Also, in reference to the 15" PB lcd repair program: The lcd supplier notified Apple of the widespread defect, therefore Apple was able to make the repairs under warranty (they likely received the new screens as free of charge replacements from the manufacturer). Apple has received no such notice regarding the 12" screens, therefore they have no reason to initiate a "recall" of these units.

Acording to lcd manufacturers, some number of white spots are acceptable in the manufacturing process for class II lcd screens (the type we are using) so it is inevitable that we will see some of these defects in the end product.

Perhaps this will be helpful to others considering a purchase.

Cheers
( Last edited by milhouse; Mar 13, 2006 at 03:43 PM. )
"-Dodge This"

Forum Links
Forum Rules