Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro Mini-Review

MacBook Pro Mini-Review
Bbazzarrakk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2006, 02:57 PM

I received my MBP yesterday and have had some time to play with it now. I thought I would give my general impressions.

Everyone keeps saying it, but it hits you with usage and bares repeating: it's bloody quick. I use a first generation G5 tower (Dual 2.0 with 2 Gigs RAM) as my primary machine and I was shocked to note that the new MBP (2.167 with 2 Gigs RAM and 7200 RPM HD) is noticably faster at most things.

I just spent all morning running the battery down for calibration, building open source software and the like. I do this kind of this all the time and have a solid feel for how long it takes. I was repeatedly surpised by how fast it could finish. This was all on battery power. (A second CPU doesn't do much for compiling.)

I'm sure I could find a test where the desktop would win. I suspect burning a DVD would do it, pushing all that data over the faster bus. However, the MBP is a real contender. Believe it.

Moving on to other features, the battery life seemed good to me. It gave two hours and fifty minutes of usage this morning when I was trying to run it down. I was doing installs and compiles the entire time, so it didn't get much rest in there.

I really haven't had any problems with the machine. So far, I haven't detected a "whine" of any kind. The screen angle and MagSafe don't bug me, but I always use a computer at a desk. It get's warm when working hard, but not hot. Nothing uncomfortable. It does fit fine in the bag I bought with the machine, a "Marware Sportfolio - Black Ice Case".

Finally, I would just like to say that the little features really add up. The backlit keyboard, MagSafe, scrolling trackpad, remote (Keynote gets a huge win here), and built-in iSight really push the machine up the scale. It's pretty darn high in sex appeal.

So far, I couldn't be happier.

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2006, 03:08 PM

Will you guys stop tempting me already?

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2006, 04:04 PM

Heh, I read this and ten seconds later was on the phone to Apple, upgrading my shipping option to 'express'... ;D

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 05:51 PM

Congrats. Man, I want one too! But no money = no MacBook Pro.

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bbazzarrakk
I just spent all morning running the battery down for calibration, building open source software and the like. I do this kind of this all the time and have a solid feel for how long it takes. I was repeatedly surpised by how fast it could finish. This was all on battery power. (A second CPU doesn't do much for compiling.)
A second CPU *does* do a *lot* for compiling. Ever tried make -j2 ???
I would expect XCode to do the same by default on dual cpu/dual core machines... never had a chance to compile with XCode on a dual...

Forum Links
Forum Rules