Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New hydrid car, BMW Mini based.

New hydrid car, BMW Mini based.
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 03:33 PM

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2006/07...cept-with.html

on the pursuing the rarely implemented series hybrid architecture, and the 1500 km range.
n: on the use of a 2-stroke engine, which will probably be unmuffled and unlfitered, and the fact that the series hybrid arch. is less advantageous in steady highway conditions.

Hopefully someone will donate a fuel cell of the optimum size, weight and power.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 22, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2006/07...cept-with.html

on the pursuing the rarely implemented series hybrid architecture, and the 1500 km range.
n: on the use of a 2-stroke engine, which will probably be unmuffled and unlfitered, and the fact that the series hybrid arch. is less advantageous in steady highway conditions.

Hopefully someone will donate a fuel cell of the optimum size, weight and power.
Just an experiment, although an interesting one considering it gets a 0-100 km/h time of 4.5 s.

BTW, hybrids generally get a serious advantage in steady highway conditions too, but it depends on the conditions. For example, my Prius will actually sometimes shut the gas engine off completely at 90 km/h and run on batteries alone for short periods.

At 120 km/h though, the gas engine is always on, but the gas mileage is still usually much better than non-hybrids of similar size and power.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Just an experiment, although an interesting one considering it gets a 0-100 km/h time of 4.5 s.

BTW, hybrids generally get a serious advantage in steady highway conditions too, but it depends on the conditions. For example, my Prius will actually sometimes shut the gas engine off completely at 90 km/h and run on batteries alone for short periods.

At 120 km/h though, the gas engine is always on, but the gas mileage is still usually much better than non-hybrids of similar size and power.
Sometimes I forget about the smaller engine, which is a perfectly fine thing to have in steady highway conditions (120 km/h in your case).

At 90 km/h, you probably are still on city driving, and the car decides to utilize some extra regenerated energy.

Stratus Wrong
Baninated
Jul 22, 2006, 04:12 PM

A 2 stroke?! In a hybird? Well that's about hte dumbest ****ing thing I've ever heard of. 2 strokes spew shitloads of emissions into the environment. In fact your average lawnmower puts out over 10x the pollution of a new car in the same duration. Drive your car for 10 hours. Or use your lawn mower for one.

2 strokes really are that bad. That's why jet skis and snowmobiles are no longer ALLOWED to be 2 strokes.

JoshuaGGS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 05:49 PM

Who cares about pollution? Its about saving gas!

..oh wait
I WANT A MACBOOK.com <---- Help ME in my QUEST for a NEW MACBOOK!

Stratus Wrong
Baninated
Jul 22, 2006, 06:01 PM

The problem is... most earth saving hippies are ****ing stupid.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stratus Wrong
They make us, smart earth saving hippies, look bad.

Stratus Wrong
Baninated
Jul 22, 2006, 08:03 PM

Indeed. I'm going to go eat some organic jalapeno cheesie poofs. Mmm.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2006, 08:10 PM

I would rather buy a regular Mini S. I love the mini, it is the only BMW I will ever be able to afford

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
I would rather buy a regular Mini S. I love the mini, it is the only BMW I will ever be able to afford
Nah, forget the Bimmer and do what I did, buy a classic (real) Mini for little cash and get 38/48 per gallon and more attention/cool factor than you can stand. Of course that's my fun car... I have a real car too.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2006, 02:31 PM

I love the old minis too, they are awesome but for an everyday drive I would get the Cooper S. It is ridiculous that I like minis so much, I am six four.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stratus Wrong
QFT.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2006, 08:49 PM

I saw a new Mini on the highway the other day and an original Mini was trying like hell to catch up to him. The new one finally saw the original in his rear view miror and slowed down so they could give eachother the thumbs up. Man, I couldn't believe how incredibly tiny the originals are!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2006, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by grayware
Nah, forget the Bimmer and do what I did, buy a classic (real) Mini for little cash and get 38/48 per gallon and more attention/cool factor than you can stand. Of course that's my fun car... I have a real car too.
After moving to the UK, I was determined that I was going to buy a classic mini for use as a daily driver. I have always loved them (at least the idea of them, as I had never driven one).

After a few weeks of looking, I finally found two that I wanted to drive, knowing I would get one of them, a '99 and a '00. Both had under 50k miles and were in pristine physical condition.

And then I drove them.

Someday I may get one as a second car, but I gotta tell you, they are painful to drive. I assumed a car built in the last 10 years would be a pretty good drive, but at least the two I drove felt like 30 year old cars that happened to have been built 6 years ago. The pedals are unbelievably close together, no power steering (it's a tiny little car but man was it hard to steer at low speed) and the clutches on both felt like I was doing leg presses.

This is not to criticize the cars really, I'm sure I'm just soft. It was just such a disappointment. Every time I see one on the road (which isn't as often as you would think considering how many they sold - where have they all gone?) I get a bit wistful, but it's not the car for me I'm afraid.

MarathonDeskMount
Baninated
Jul 24, 2006, 06:37 PM

That's too bad. My wife wants an original but I don't want her to die.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2006, 07:17 PM

Weird on the 2-stroke. Incredible amounts of pollution put out by those things. I read somewhere that running a two-stroke for 7 continuous hours put out the equivalent pollution of driving a modern car for 100,000 km (or maybe even miles).

I imagine there must be something we're missing.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2006, 07:21 PM

Good lord that is horrible! :

iCol
Senior User
Jul 26, 2006, 08:51 AM

If you read the in-depth specifications you will find that it is not a 2-Stroke engine, rather a 2 cylinder 4-stroke, which is much cleaner.

Also, bear in mind that the petrol engine is only utilised after approx 4 hours of use, most people wouldn't use the car for more than 4 hours a day, before it is parked up and plugged in.
F is for Fooyork.

Forum Links
Forum Rules