Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Unusual Problem

Unusual Problem
bluesea
Feb 3, 2000, 11:21 AM

iMac
192 MB
OS 8.6
Maxtor 13.6 GB HD

Unusual crashes/cutouts while running Internet Explorer from a fairly stable extension set, eventually led to to a bigger crash with a Bomb dialogue indicating a system error. A restart led to the same Bomb Message (Address Error) prior to the extensions being loaded.

I was able to reboot with extensions off, and eventually discovered that I could reboot otherwise only by disabling Shared Library Manager PPC. I could then play games, but could not get online due to a message indicating some problems with Open Transport.

Did a clean install but the new system folder had the same Address Error at startup. Again, disabling Shared Library Manager PPC allowed rebooting with extensions on.

Now things get weird. Booted off the OS 8.6 CD and reformatted the drive (zeroed all data) and then installed OS 8.6.
On the first restart in an attempt to boot off the newly installed virgin system, I get the same exact Bomb/system error/address error.

Again, I could only reboot with extensions off. I eventually found that by trashing the OS Setup Assistant alias from the Startup Items Folder, I then got back my seemingly normal functioning system.

Two days later with most of my Apps installed, I'm getting those brower crashes/cutouts again.
I'm baffled. For one thing, how did that system error/address error follow me through a complete formatting of my drive?
Is this a software or a hardware issue? Where do I go from here? Any help or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

bluesea

lombardman
Feb 3, 2000, 12:10 PM

Zap the PRAM a few times manually using command-option-p-r at start up. Be aware that you will need to reset some system settings such as appletalk. You can also use the free TechTool Pro to ZAP it. It sounds to me like you either have corrupt PRAM or a bad DIMM.

[This message has been edited by lombardman (edited 02-03-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules