Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac NN car culture [JPEG heavy]

Mac NN car culture [JPEG heavy] (Page 3)
Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 11:38 AM

Not ours, but same model (pic leeched from this site)

We used to have a smaller car, which burnt more fuel and made us fat, since it was too easy to park in the city. Nowadays, we rarely drive and instead walk much much more. These are, of course, all moral disclaimers for owning a (compact) SUV, but it's actually quite efficient - Toyota rocks.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2008, 12:45 PM

Moi !!

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 04:28 PM

Don't have a pic of mine, but it looks exactly like this:

I'd like something that gets better gas mileage, but the insurance for this car is covered by my company, and if I got a new one it wouldn't be. So I figure it's better to drive this one to the ground unless gas REALLY gets bad.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 04:36 PM

:-(

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 04:44 PM

OUCH! What happened?
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 04:52 PM

That must have been one hell of a dog.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 06:35 PM

Thought I'd add what the final state of my Jetta was after falling asleep and nailing a tree at 50 MPH.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2008, 07:34 PM

Not my pictures.

First transport Suzuki TS 50X, bore kitted, 65cm3 IIRC, sold it

Yamaha DTR 125, had the Power valve fitted which wasn't allowed unless you had a full bike license - killed GTIs at the lights.

Yamaha XT 600 - unbeatable bike. Treated it like **** and it was just so faithful. Even had the big tank on mine.

Suzuki GSXR 750. Removed brain to ride. Did 155 mph once. That was enough.

Girlfriends aren't as easy to catch when you haven't got 4 wheels, some doors and a roof to get acquainted so ...

Mazda 121 as sold in UK. What you guys had in the US we called a Ford Fiesta. Broke it

Peugeot 205 Diesel, 1.9 litres - pulled my dads BMW 325i at 70 mph. Great car. Sold to my dad.

Renault Twingo got 4 people in this for a long weekend skiing. Didn't have a stereo though. Sold

Renault Clio 47 mpg diesel. Air con, great town car. Sold it for my present car below

Renault Megane Estate 2.0 petrol, drinks like a fish, flies. I'd change it but nobody in France wants to buy a petrol car.

Why so many French cars? Well I live here and I used to get 20% off of Renaults.

dav
Mac Elite
May 7, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4 View Post
:-(

dude we can fix it, my dad's got an awesome set of tools.
one post closer to five stars

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by dav View Post
dude we can fix it, my dad's got an awesome set of tools.
I've taxed worse.

It'll polish out fine

etc etc

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
I've taxed worse.

It'll polish out fine

etc etc
It's just a minor dent and a few scratches. I got the paint to match.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

design219
Professional Poster
May 8, 2008, 06:15 AM

It's only a flesh wound.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
May 11, 2008, 10:55 PM

My 1st car: 2002 Ford Focus ZX5

-mine is green though

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 01:22 PM

Those first gen Focuses were pretty fun to drive. The new ones have lost all ability to be fun at all sadly.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 01:51 PM

I thought the current US Focus was the same basic car as the original, but uglier, Europeans got the real new Focus .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 02:06 PM

I believe they modified the ride and handling of the current 1G US Focus. The good news is that the 3G Focus will be the same worldwide once again and will be based on the 2G Euro Focus platform.
( Last edited by Art Vandelay; May 12, 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added more details for clarity)
Vandelay Industries

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Those first gen Focuses were pretty fun to drive. The new ones have lost all ability to be fun at all sadly.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 02:39 PM

To the first statement or the second statement?

Inquiring minds want to know!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
To the first statement or the second statement?

Inquiring minds want to know!
The latter.

The 2004 refresh brought a number of small improvements that added to the fit and finish of the Focus in pretty much every way. And with the latest refresh, Ford again managed to improve the handling of the car and it's pretty much universally agreed that it's the better to drive of the three US Focus generations. It did, however, come at the expense of an ugly stick beating.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ghporter
Administrator
May 13, 2008, 09:13 AM

Ok, I'm tired of the weather being crappy and keeping me from getting a decent picture of my cars.

Mine is "Atomic Blue" and has the little spoiler-thing, but is otherwise this car.

My wife's toy. Same color and everything. I am assured by my classmates that while my car is "cute," this one is "hot!"

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
May 13, 2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

My wife's toy. Same color and everything. I am assured by my classmates that while my car is "cute," this one is "hot!"
Your classmates are quite correct. Seriously excellent engine. Revs to about 10,000 rpm I believe. When they reviewed this on BBC top gear they mentioned that Honda had shipped nearly 10 million VTEC equipped motors and not had a single failure of the system. Which is pretty damn cool in and of itself.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 13, 2008, 11:45 AM

Several of the reviews I've read of the S2000 also fault the engine for being so high revving. You have to rev the crap out of it to get any power, which makes it annoying to some as a daily driver.
Vandelay Industries

shrugs*
May 13, 2008, 01:00 PM

Your classmates are quite correct. Seriously excellent engine. Revs to about 10,000 rpm I believe. When they reviewed this on BBC top gear they mentioned that Honda had shipped nearly 10 million VTEC equipped motors and not had a single failure of the system. Which is pretty damn cool in and of itself.
Interesting statistics, I'm curious what the failure scope would be.

I'm a 22 year old part time corporate slave / full time student & hooligan ... the E suits my lifestyle well enough

(how my mind's eye views the E)

(how the rest of the world does)

And every tinkerer needs a toy..

Planning on adding a DRZ400SM to the mix this summer.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

ghporter
Administrator
May 13, 2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Several of the reviews I've read of the S2000 also fault the engine for being so high revving. You have to rev the crap out of it to get any power, which makes it annoying to some as a daily driver.
Maybe they have to go to really high revs to move two guys that both weigh 300 pounds, but you get TONS of power at the midrange-I've done it. Maybe you don't quite pull three G's in that midrange, but it's substantial in any case. That's a car that really NEEDS the traction control for most drivers, or those who are new to anything that actually performs.

shrugs*, that's a Nighthawk in the first motorcycle picture, right? What size is it? Those are seriously nice bikes.

shrugs*
May 13, 2008, 07:29 PM

It's a Canadian model CB750SC (+50cc due to no Harley tariffs up north).

I have a thing for CBs. I've got a few more.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by shrugs* View Post
I'm a 22 year old part time corporate slave / full time student & hooligan ... the E suits my lifestyle well enough

(how my mind's eye views the E)

That is interesting, I've never seen the Element get the XB treatment. It would work very well on the new Element SC methinks.

packet of krisps
May 13, 2008, 08:22 PM

It doesn't get 70 Miles to the gallon.
It's hard to park.
It's loud.
It's huge.
It's American, it is probably the best vehicle I've ever owned, and I F***ing love it.

It gets about 20 Miles per gallon, and has a hauling capacity of about 8 Tons, can seat 7 comfortably, and can pretty much run over any smart car or prius without getting a scratch. .
I am actually picking up a biodiesel converter for it soon, as well as a home kit for storing, purfiying the stuff. It will run me about 7 grand for the whole thing, but I will probably never own a hybrid, so why not? This isn't mine, mine is lifted a smiliar way however, and has a Rockford Fosgate stereo for blasting that great American metal I love so much.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 13, 2008, 09:00 PM

*Ducks and runs for cover*

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 13, 2008, 09:05 PM

Also, this thread needs more pictures of my car.

Sarc
Mac Elite
May 13, 2008, 09:26 PM

anyone using the new impreza hatchback ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 06:07 AM

This should probably go in the photo critique thread:

a couple of years ago. Had the rear windows darkened since then.

OreoCookie
May 14, 2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I guess it's more about the character and kind of power you get: modern diesel are the opposite, low-revving, but with tons of torque. This is clearly a `toy car' (afaik it doesn't have a trunk ), but in any case, for a car this size, the engine should always have enough power
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
*Ducks and runs for cover*
At least it has a sensible engine in it.

But again, another 'look at me!' giant SUV. I know I wouldn't waste my money on it in a hundred years, but if this dude wants to, more power to him.

ghporter
Administrator
May 14, 2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I guess it's more about the character and kind of power you get: modern diesel are the opposite, low-revving, but with tons of torque. This is clearly a `toy car' (afaik it doesn't have a trunk ), but in any case, for a car this size, the engine should always have enough power
It DOES have a trunk. We can do plenty of grocery shopping in it, and it has enough room for a week's worth of luggage (if you pack sensibly and use suitcases that fit). From a practicality standpoint, the S 2000 doesn't get out of the gate. But from a "pure fun" perspective, it's a real winner. Leaving the "look at my hot Mustang" dork in the dust is just one of its fun applications.

ghporter
Administrator
May 14, 2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
At least it has a sensible engine in it.

But again, another 'look at me!' giant SUV. I know I wouldn't waste my money on it in a hundred years, but if this dude wants to, more power to him.
20 MPG for that size vehicle is impressive. If packet of crisps actually uses the hauling capacity more than once in the vehicle's lifetime, he's probably made a good choice for his applications. I absolutely hate driving large vehicles, and anything that size would be painful for me, but the point is that it makes sense to someone that actually uses its capabilities.

packet of krisps
May 14, 2008, 02:46 PM

Oh, why thank you for that petite defense. My brother owns a landscaping company, I help him with it because I have a decent sized trailer (I live out on the island). I also have a couple of King Quads (800 CC each baby!) that I take in the trailer upstate to my uncle's 90 acre place, so not only is the hauling capacity good, but the 4X4 is fantastic in the winter.

ghporter
Administrator
May 14, 2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by packet of krisps View Post
Oh, why thank you for that petite defense. My brother owns a landscaping company, I help him with it because I have a decent sized trailer (I live out on the island). I also have a couple of King Quads (800 CC each baby!) that I take in the trailer upstate to my uncle's 90 acre place, so not only is the hauling capacity good, but the 4X4 is fantastic in the winter.
I was pretty sure you actually used the truck's capabilities because of the way you described the truck and what it can do. Around here (Central Texas of all places!) a lot of people just buy big trucks because they're big. They don't care that they're harder to corner and park because they can't drive anything very well anyway. And they never get their trucks dirty because that would mean actually using them like trucks instead of very tall cars. I get pretty cynical about big trucks...

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 05:24 PM

There ya have it folks. This man does real hauling, and a diesel is a no-brainer for this sort of thing.

Not a V10, Not a Hemi, a nice Diesel with mounds of torque that gets the same MPG under extreme load.

Again, I wouldn't buy it as the SUV form-factor since I like being able to muck up a truck bed and not have to worry about my back seats...but it's got the right engine, that's for sure.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 07:01 PM

It gets about 20 Miles per gallon, and has a hauling capacity of about 8 Tons, can seat 7 comfortably, and can pretty much run over any smart car or prius without getting a scratch. .
You could probably have a party in the back of that thing.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2008, 07:43 PM

Awesome. I might get something like this too. These melting ice-caps and rising sea levels are going to create more boggy terrain IMHO.

packet of krisps
May 14, 2008, 08:05 PM

I did explain how I was going to use biodiesel for it, which IMHO is better than what hybrids do right now.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
There ya have it folks. This man does real hauling, and a diesel is a no-brainer for this sort of thing.

Not a V10, Not a Hemi, a nice Diesel with mounds of torque that gets the same MPG under extreme load.

Again, I wouldn't buy it as the SUV form-factor since I like being able to muck up a truck bed and not have to worry about my back seats...but it's got the right engine, that's for sure.
Well, my dream truck is an F350 King Ranch Edition, and of course it's got a full size bed and 4 doors. This truck was my Dad's for a short time, and he pretty much gave it to me. It's not like I really have to "make do with it", I really like it, since it's a diesel, it will last an extremely long time.
( Last edited by packet of krisps; May 14, 2008 at 08:18 PM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2008, 08:27 PM

VW Eos.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2008, 08:59 PM

I did explain how I was going to use biodiesel for it, which IMHO is better than what hybrids do right now.
No worries. I seriously wouldn't mind a big black badass urban assault vehicle.

One that spat fire from side pipes to set fire to local fauna would be preferable.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 09:40 PM

You could probably have a party in the back of that thing.
Thought the first joke wasn't good enough?

Also, more pictures of my car because, well, it's my birthday and I'll do whatever I want to.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2008, 12:33 AM

I still envy your Contour. In fact, you're the inspiration behind my 'SVT Contour' Craigslist search bookmark.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
No worries. I seriously wouldn't mind a big black badass urban assault vehicle.

One that spat fire from side pipes to set fire to local fauna would be preferable.
If that "local fauna" is soccer moms in poser urban assault vehicles of their own, I'm with you 100%. Has anyone else noticed how many TINY women are seen (barely) driving all alone in monster SUVs and trucks? "Yeah, honey, daddy's gonna give you a nice safe truck to drive." Except that no matter how nice the interior is, it's still a truck and the safety standards for trucks are still way behind those of cars. What daddy's really saying is "here's something you can drive OVER other people with because I know you can't drive anything worth poo." And it shows. Now give that soccer mom a cell phone, and she's got Osama bin Laden beat all to hell-she's a danger to the very foundation of our society because she won't even be trying to pay attention to the road.

<pant.....pant> Yeah, I do get worked up over that sort of thing. Yesterday some idiot chick in a Mercedes sedan managed to completely ignore the BRIGHT RED sports car she almost ran into because she was chatting on her cell phone. My wife was driving that sports car. I was in the passenger seat. This ditz didn't even NOTICE the car OR the horn. Where's that remote control...I want to call in a strike from my orbiting space wheel death-ray laser...

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2008, 08:06 AM

Some of those little women can barely climb into their trucks. I feel like offering them a hand up.

What I'd really like is something bigger than the biggest 4x4, so I can block their view at intersections. I'm thinking ex-Army. Troop carrier. Perfect for dropping the kids at school.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Thought the first joke wasn't good enough?
That was a joke? I thought it was just a humorous quip.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 10:38 PM

That was a joke? I thought it was just a humorous quip.
Thought the first humorous quip wasn't good enough?

Forum Links
Forum Rules