Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > "Midnight Brief Freeze"

"Midnight Brief Freeze"
bleen
Senior User
Dec 12, 2000, 04:40 AM

I'm wondering if anyone else's Mac's running OS 9.0.4 (or any other version, I'm running 9.0.4) is having a breif freeze for about 15-30 seconds at Midnight. My iBook SE does this and my friends new Graphite iMac does this too. At first I thought it was Network Time, but I checked Date & Time but it doesn't say that it did it's last check 3 hours before midnight. I don't think it's RAM becasue I have 128MB, my friend's iMac has 300 some odd megs. Any ideas? or do your mac's do this too?

Cipher13
Dec 12, 2000, 07:37 AM

Sounds viral.
Have you shared any files recently? Over ICQ or anything?
Downloaded off Hotline?
Run Virex over your HD's, now.

Cipher13

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2000, 08:51 AM

maybe your indexing is scheduled for midnight, and you never noticed it.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2000, 10:50 AM

I have a G3/450 and a G4/500 MP and both have the midnight brief freeze for about 10-30 seconds depending. I have seen this with both 9.0.4 and 9.0. I don't know what causes it but it is not viral and I have scanned with all the latest virus engines and data files.

It is network related I believe. My macs are connected to ethernet. What do you have yours connected to? Maybe it is the DHCP lease renew or more likely the Network Time server update. I have Indexing turned off so it is not Sherlock.

bleen  (op)
Senior User
Dec 12, 2000, 05:01 PM

Nah, I don't think it's viral. I ran a full NAV scan a few days ago. I don't think it's Indexing either becasue I disabled those extensions. And lastley I don't think it's network time beasue I checked after it happened once and it said that it's last check was at 8:45.

I have an iBook SE with an AirPort Card, so it does use DHCP, but not directly connected by Ethernet. It might be something with DHCP... anyone else go any Ideas?

flip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2000, 06:24 PM

Midnight is the default time for updating the HD indexing and it usually takes about 15-30 seconds.

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2000, 07:35 PM

Midnight is also default for Norton to scan/update. And I found Norton 5.0 to be buggy with 9.0.4 in other ways...
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

bleen  (op)
Senior User
Dec 13, 2000, 05:19 AM

It could be it, but I have the Indexing Extension off, so I don't understand how it could be scanning if it turned off.

As for Norton, I have Norton 6 Installed, but don't have those scan features, and File Scan stuff enables (even extension wise)

Unless somewhere else in the system the Sherlock scan is turned on besides the extension that runs it.

DocWest
Senior User
Dec 13, 2000, 10:11 PM

Okay, this happens to me, but only for 1-2 seconds.
I think i might know what it is.

It might be if you have relative dates enabled.

Relative dates are when in list views it says last modified: yesterday or today or whatever instead of the actual date.

This can be turned on and off in Finder preferences -> views tab -> view options for list.

This might give you a long delay if you have lots and lots of files on your hard disk.

maybe?

Forum Links
Forum Rules