Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB Hub

USB Hub
Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2013, 09:54 AM

Hello all, I need to get a USB hub for my macbook and was hoping to get some input from others about good and bad ones.

1-Powered USB Hub
2-Non Powered USB Hub
3-Max Ports

thanks

andi*pandi
Jan 17, 2013, 11:30 AM

I also just started looking for hubs. The one I have is only USB 1.2 and slows things down.

I think you only need powered if you are plugging high-need things (printers, external drives) into them. I've seen 2 port versions out there, but don't see the point... for the price and space on your desk at least 4 seems best.

Thinkgeek has fun ones but I've been shopping at newegg. Any brands to recommend?

SVass
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2013, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I also just started looking for hubs. The one I have is only USB 1.2 and slows things down.

I think you only need powered if you are plugging high-need things (printers, external drives) into them. I've seen 2 port versions out there, but don't see the point... for the price and space on your desk at least 4 seems best.

Thinkgeek has fun ones but I've been shopping at newegg. Any brands to recommend?
I bought a 4 port D-Link, powered, USB2 hub several years ago for about $20 at my local Office Depot. I strongly recommend a powered one and at least USB 2 for speed. I use external, USB powered portable disks (Transcend Storjet) that are happy with it.
sam

P
Jan 17, 2013, 07:27 PM

4 ports is the biggest you can get for an unpowered USB 2.0 hub and stay within spec, so it is a common size. Many 4 port hubs are either powered or unpowered, with an optional AC adapter. 7 is a common size for powered hubs, but there are even bigger ones. I have one 7 port powered hub, plus the one in the keyboard.

USB 3.0 really made this much more complicated, but basically, it works like this: If you want to plug in things that get their power from USB, ie do not have a power plug of their own, get a powered hub. Printers, scanners and 3.5" HDDs generally have external power and can be plugged in to anything. Smaller 2.5" HDDs, opticals and anything that is charging generally draws power from the port, and should be plugged in to a powered hub or directly to the computer. It CAN work to plug them in to an unpowered hub, especially if not everything is used at once, but it will also lead to strange errors from time to time.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2013, 06:27 AM

Great help thanks guys, I will go to my local MicroCenter and see what they have to offer, I think I will stay away from the thinkGeek place they seem more pretty and fun than functional, and I want to use it for a while so I will look for a name brand. Again thanks

ibook_steve
Jan 18, 2013, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nassifer View Post
Great help thanks guys, I will go to my local MicroCenter and see what they have to offer, I think I will stay away from the thinkGeek place they seem more pretty and fun than functional, and I want to use it for a while so I will look for a name brand. Again thanks
Microcenter? Wow I thought they were out of business.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

andi*pandi
Jan 19, 2013, 09:25 AM

There's one in MA too that still seems to be functioning, despite being surrounded by Apple stores.

Forum Links
Forum Rules