Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > BF1942 - is it me or the airplanes are just plain useless ?

BF1942 - is it me or the airplanes are just plain useless ?
Sarc
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 02:19 AM

I finished the single player campaign on Easy, so I had a lot of margin to try the vehicles.
Tanks where OK , Jeeps, etc.
But the airplanes ? damn !
they are too fast, to hard to control and actually hitting something (on the ground) is almost impossible.

maybe that's how an airplane really feels, but for gaming, that was horrible.

anyone ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2004, 02:31 AM

I have found that the only way to unleash any destructive capability with an aircraft in BF1942 is to kamikaze into something. Of course, since they handle like ****, that something is usually the ground.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2004, 02:32 AM

Takes a bit of practice, but the planes can be quite effective. I imagine a lot of players have controllers at the ready for planes. It's close to impossible with the mouse, I've found. When I played at my friend's house, I quickly switched to the keyboard for planes. Much easier, though still takes a bit of getting used to.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2004, 03:23 AM

The best way to get use of an airplane is to use a joystick...but if you don't have one then the keyboard is really nice once you get used to it.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 03:54 AM

Airplanes eat the ships alive... They do move too fast for the map however, you begin a 'bombing run' and by the time you are done you are outside the map.
we don't have time to stop for gas

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2004, 05:10 AM

They would be abused too much if they were easy to use and very powerful.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 06:27 AM

all the planes need is a simple altimeter and a artificial horizon to make them work, least then you'll know when the ground is rising fast and about to hit you

Also, another bug point for me, the anti-tank gun, great for tanks and jeeps, but to hit a group of soldiers and it on kills one of them. how does that work? surely it should kill more than one?

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2004, 08:40 AM

You should not get BF: Vietnam then . Planes are like 3 times as fast there, when I'm playing 1942, I normally use the US small bomber (don't know its name, has room for 2 people) its slower and has 2 bombs at a time.

Thanks,
Oliver

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2004, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I have found that the only way to unleash any destructive capability with an aircraft in BF1942 is to kamikaze into something. Of course, since they handle like ****, that something is usually the ground.
That's too much fun , you see a guy bombing a ship and you just can't shoot him. Well, the only way I see to bring him down is to fly straight into his ass .

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2004, 10:22 PM

The second day I had this game I got sick of ww2 and downloaded Desert Combat (which is a MUST). The game is just filled with historical inauccracies i just can't look past.

For example: the BAR (browning automatic rifle) is given to the infantrymen, meaing it's the basic weapon. In reality BARs were given to about 1 in 12 soldiers and usually had to be fired prone and with an extra person to resupply ammo. In the game not only can it be fired while standing up but every single soldier has one. Infantry were given rifles not huge machine guns, it's just absurd.

This is quite possibly the worst WW2 game ever. But quite possibly one of the best multiplayer games ever.
Sorry a little off-topic but no one started normal BF thread. Oh and the planes suck yeah...

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 12:11 AM

Aw, c'mon.

Did you really hope to see historically and physically accurate gameplay? That's simply ridiculous; it's a game, hence there are artistic leaps made to make it enjoyable. Besides, what other games have BARs that work historically accurate? And in what other game do you get shot once and start to limp around (none), and keep on fightin' (all)? That's ridiculous. It's akin to believing Bush won the presidency legitimately.

Enjoy your life.

Yes, and the planes suck. The PC *snif* version is better and smoother all 'round... *sigh*

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
The second day I had this game I got sick of ww2 and downloaded Desert Combat (which is a MUST). The game is just filled with historical inauccracies i just can't look past.

For example: the BAR (browning automatic rifle) is given to the infantrymen, meaing it's the basic weapon. In reality BARs were given to about 1 in 12 soldiers and usually had to be fired prone and with an extra person to resupply ammo. In the game not only can it be fired while standing up but every single soldier has one. Infantry were given rifles not huge machine guns, it's just absurd.

This is quite possibly the worst WW2 game ever. But quite possibly one of the best multiplayer games ever.
Sorry a little off-topic but no one started normal BF thread. Oh and the planes suck yeah...

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 03:53 AM

This game isnt meant to be realistic. It never was. It is meant to be fun. And it is.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jul 21, 2004, 04:06 AM

Desert Combat: is that the one where you have all the modern weaponry like A 10`s?
Is Battlefield playable (Multiplayer of course) on a PB 17 Rev. A?
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 06:10 AM

nothing to see here...... move along.........

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
Desert Combat: is that the one where you have all the modern weaponry like A 10`s?
yes

KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Jul 21, 2004, 09:53 AM

To make planes flyable u have to turn off the HUD so u can see down, and pressing the same key again gives u a 3rd person view.

Damned is I remember the key though

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jul 21, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
yes
Thanks.
Will have to buy as soon as possible then.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2004, 02:43 PM

" But quite possibly one of the best multiplayer games ever."

Don't any of you read, I still love the game I'm just saying it's not even close to as accurate as other games. I'm not saying i won't play it, I'm saying it's amazing but my only beef is that it isn't even remotely accurate.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2004, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
Is Battlefield playable (Multiplayer of course) on a PB 17 Rev. A?
Yes, but it is a bit choppy when there are a lot of people/activity around you.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2004, 03:16 PM

The planes in BF1942 are great fun! You absolutely need a joystick though. They are nearly impossible to fly without one, and anyone with a 'stick will be able to beat you in air combat even if you can get used to flying with mouse or keyboard.

It's a night and day difference. I don't even bother getting in a plane if I don't have the joystick ready to go.

When you have a joystick, the planes are a joy :-)

With a bit of practice, bombing is great fun and you can provide good support to infantry by bombing a pesky tank that's holding them up.

When I have the joystick attached, the planes are what I go for most often. They're fun!

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 05:59 PM

also, in energy saver (for powerbooks) make sure the best performance is selected. makes a world of difference.

KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Jul 21, 2004, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by gperks:
The planes in BF1942 are great fun! You absolutely need a joystick though. They are nearly impossible to fly without one, and anyone with a 'stick will be able to beat you in air combat even if you can get used to flying with mouse or keyboard.

It's a night and day difference. I don't even bother getting in a plane if I don't have the joystick ready to go.

With a bit of practice, bombing is great fun and you can provide good support to infantry by bombing a pesky tank that's holding them up.

When I have the joystick attached, the planes are what I go for most often. They're fun!
I would disagree, but then again I've been play flight simulators with a mouse for ages.

george68
Banned
Aug 4, 2004, 01:02 AM

How's this game run on a 1ghz G4 imac? I'm thinking about it....

- Rob

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Aw, c'mon.

Did you really hope to see historically and physically accurate gameplay? That's simply ridiculous; it's a game, hence there are artistic leaps made to make it enjoyable.

I really don't understand how one game can be the best single player experience AND be historically accurate.

He must have thought he was playing Call of Duty.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

gregjsmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2004, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by gperks:

I've noticed that fliers can dominate in the online games I have player. Too bad my X45 won't work with it.

istallion
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Aw, c'mon.

Yes, and the planes suck. The PC *snif* version is better and smoother all 'round... *sigh*
On a PC it's still pretty buggy and slow.

Network responsiveness and reliability has risen to decent from abysmal when it was released. (unloading a full clip of ammo at point blank range should have some effects on your target)

Walking on a moving ship/boat is glitchy, getting on a ladder on a moving ship is putting your life at risk.

RPGs have zero splash damage as far as I can see.

The in-game and main menu screens are poorly designed and slow.

This is all after the most recent 270MB patch

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 08:38 AM

Has anyone of you ever managed to fly and land a helicopter in the desert combat mod? Damn, now that's really hard!!
(maybe I really shouldn't try it with a mouse...)

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
Has anyone of you ever managed to fly and land a helicopter in the desert combat mod? Damn, now that's really hard!!
Just takes practice, I do all my flying with a trackball.....

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
Yeah, it takes a bit of practice. Although I am pretty good now, a trackball would be a nice improvement over a mouse. Fly the apache, it's the easiest to fly around...oh and here is a tip. TAP the control's, don't hold down the buttons, just tap them and then you will have enough control to land.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 04:16 AM

Yesterday I saw for the first time the bots actually fly one of those helicopters (normally they just enter and wait for someone else) and they did about as good as me (30 seconds of uncontrolled flying followed by a crash)!

t500
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 08:51 PM

Are you using the PC mod on the Mac? I havent seen a Mac version. Love the game. Hate the Planes....

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by t500:
Are you using the PC mod on the Mac? I havent seen a Mac version. Love the game. Hate the Planes....
Don't know if there is a difference between PC and Mac version (except that the PC version comes as an .exe) but you can get it here ...

I only played the game once online so far and now I know that there are players who really know how to fly those helicopters!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules