Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 1942 performance on iMacG5

Battlefield 1942 performance on iMacG5
tdward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2004, 06:12 PM

Okay I'm thinking of getting BF 1942 to play on my iMac G5. Looking at the specs, it would seem that it would be a good game to play on the iMac G5. I am interested in multiplayer action. I have played the COD demo and it was really good on my iMac G5. I heard BF 1942 was awesome. I really don't want to buy it if the performance is going to be crappy.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 06:38 PM

If the Call Of Duty demo ran well on your iMac, then BF1942 will be... okay. I don't think you'll be happy with the performance though. The full game of Call Of Duty runs much better than the demo, and overall the game is a really good performer on Macs, but Battlefield 1942 is much more demanding. You'll probably have to turn the settings down quite a bit to get decent performance, and even then you'll probably see slowdowns during intense fighting.

EDIT: I should clarify that I have played both games on my PowerMac G4, upgraded to a 1.33 GHz processor with a Radeon 9800 Pro. The video card is much better than the iMac's video, but the processor is not as fast. Call Of Duty has always been super smooth for me, but Battlefield generally gets choppy on the larger maps. But I do believe there's a demo for the Mac version of Battlefield 1942, so you should try that before you buy it.
( Last edited by Luca Rescigno; Oct 7, 2004 at 06:48 PM. )

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2004, 06:46 PM

In my experience, CoD is far more demanding than Battlefield 1942. If the CoD demo runs well, 1942 wont be a problem at all.

1942 just seems to require 64MBs of video memory and 512MBs of system memory to run perfectly. Not very taxing.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 08:36 PM

GeforceFX 5200.

'nuff said.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

brendonhumphrey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
GeforceFX 5200.

'nuff said.
I play it with my gf5200 at 1280x1024. Its a bit sluggish, but quite acceptable (PM G5-2.0). Having said that I've ordered the new NVIDIA card...

Brendon

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 11:41 PM

BF 1942 is a fantastic game, especially if multiplayer is where you're at.

Try the single-map demo out and remember that is single-player only which stresses the CPU more than multiplayer (it has to deal with all the bots).

With your new iMac, BF 1942 will be a blast

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
[B]If the Call Of Duty demo ran well on your iMac, then BF1942 will be... okay. I don't think you'll be happy with the performance though. The full game of Call Of Duty runs much better than the demo, and overall the game is a really good performer on Macs, but Battlefield 1942 is much more demanding. You'll probably have to turn the settings down quite a bit to get decent performance, and even then you'll probably see slowdowns during intense fighting.
B]
strange, works fine on my 'lowly' 1GHz iMac G1 with only a Geforce with 32vram, although its best when at medium quality. If you need to turn detail down on the iMac G5 i would imaging it would only be only very slightly, if at all. The G5 iMac is a LOT faster than my machine, CoD works well highest quality and resolution too, can't wait to try that on my iMac G5, when it eventually arrives!

I think you will be very happy with the performance of your iMac G5 with these games, as most people know its not a gaming machine so anything more advanced like Doom 3 or more will probably struggle on it...
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

bma_mat99
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 05:29 PM

I have BF1942 on my powermac dual 1.8ghz g5 (the older one, which takes up to 8 giga ram, not the gay new one). anyway, i got 512 ram and 64 video, and it works almost perfect on everything on full, and if i set everything on standard, I see no flaws... im sure it will work great on your imac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules