Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Half-Life 2

Half-Life 2
i am yujin
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2004, 08:58 PM

All hardcore gamers should be excited tonight but all us Mac gamers aren't.

Mac gamers..isn't that an oxymoron?
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 10:01 PM

What a meaningless post.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 15, 2004, 10:09 PM

I'm playing World of Warcraft...which has pretty much endless replay.

Hardcore gamers will have beaten Half-Life 2 in a day or two and will probably move on to another game.

i am yujin  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:

Hardcore gamers will have beaten Half-Life 2 in a day or two and will probably move on to another game.
And then play the endless mods of HL2 reminding Mac users of the jealously that we never had the chance to play HL mods.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2004, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
And then play the endless mods of HL2 reminding Mac users of the jealously that we never had the chance to play HL mods.
If you bought a Mac to play games then that's your problem.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2004, 11:20 PM

( Last edited by Adam Betts; Nov 29, 2004 at 02:34 PM. )

i am yujin  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Please change your signature.
haha

It was moreless my parents who bought the Mac and my working with what I have. So yes, it is somewhat my problem for using a Mac to play games but I would never buy a Mac myself to play games..I'm not that stupid.
yo w3rd.

Forte
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2004, 11:51 PM

All hardcore gamers should be excited tonight but all us Mac gamers aren't.
*shrug* I'd have to say that games like Half-Life never appealed to me as a Windows user, either. Why is it such a big deal, anyway? (For the record, I didn't find the original particularly interesting, either.)

I don't mind missing out at all, but, to each their own. ^^;;

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 01:20 AM

I'll probably pickup HL2 later today. Gonna be sweet.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2004, 02:52 PM

haha

It was moreless my parents who bought the Mac and my working with what I have. So yes, it is somewhat my problem for using a Mac to play games but I would never buy a Mac myself to play games..I'm not that stupid.
I built a PC for $400 to play games.. and then of course I have a PS2 for the ones that only come out on console (SOCOM, etc.) so get a PC if you're going to just keep complaining.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2004, 04:46 PM

Evangeline Lilly = haaaawwwwt

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2004, 04:55 PM

haha

Then get a job and build a PC.

And yes, change your signature.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 08:42 PM

Unfortunately, games seem to be the mac's weakest point. Ever since i got my iBook, my PC has been disconnected and shoved into my closet. Once I get $60, I'm going to buy HL2 and then hook my PC back up. *Ugh* - why couldn't they just make a PS2 version? I wouldn't mind the crappy graphics.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2004, 09:07 PM

Considering getting it for my Dell laptop, but with only 32MB of vram, I'm not sure it'll run so well...

i am yujin  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2004, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Considering getting it for my Dell laptop, but with only 32MB of vram, I'm not sure it'll run so well...
HL2 surprisingly doesn't need high requirements in order for it to run. I'm not if your 32 VRM will but it but still.. This is just like how HL was when it came out.
yo w3rd.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2004, 11:53 PM

HL2 surprisingly doesn't need high requirements in order for it to run. I'm not if your 32 VRM will but it but still.. This is just like how HL was when it came out.

...change your signature to something within the guidelines. I shouldn't need to tell you twice.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2004, 01:44 PM

Seeing as how it might be my only opportunity to play the game maybe I'll give it a shot. I wonder if I can return it if I buy it through Steam.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 18, 2004, 12:46 AM

You mean like they'd let you return it if you bought it through a store, opened it, installed it, and then decided you didn't want it after all?
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 01:00 AM

I haven't had time to purchase it yet. Must get game.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2004, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by blizzard:
You mean like they'd let you return it if you bought it through a store, opened it, installed it, and then decided you didn't want it after all?
I guess not, heh. I am old fashioned that way

willed
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 08:37 AM

Surely there's some hope that this will be ported to Mac? Like you say, the requirements aren't that high, and there would undoubtedly be money in it for Aspyr or whoever did the port... Why has everyone written off the possibility? Does Valve just hate Mac users or something?

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by willed:
Surely there's some hope that this will be ported to Mac? Like you say, the requirements aren't that high, and there would undoubtedly be money in it for Aspyr or whoever did the port... Why has everyone written off the possibility? Does Valve just hate Mac users or something?
Close to none.

There is that company that I heard about a few years back that was going to build a kit to allow developers to port games from DirectX to OpenGL, but I haven't heard from them in a while.

The fact that the game is developed around DirectX is what will not allow it to be easily (or, more to the point, profitable) ported to any other platform.

I'd expect a PS2 port before a Mac one, personally...
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2004, 12:35 PM

Most games ported to the Mac use DirectX...it's not that big a barrier any more. When people say there's no hope, they're referring to Valve's decision 5 years ago to cut off development of Half Life 1 when it was so close to release people could taste it. Their reasoning was that it would cost too much to support Half-Life multiplayer for two platforms at once, when the expected return on the Mac version was already low (keep in mind this was plum smack in the middle of the Mac's darkest days).

Now, if their reasoning hasn't changed, then I'd say there is still a good chance of this game being ported. Why? It doesn't have a multiplayer! Half Life 2 ships with Counterstrike as its only multiplayer component. If they didn't want to support multiplayer, all they'd have to do is leave out CS. Granted that wouldn't make Mac gamers very happy, but the single player game is so amazing that we'd be lucky to get it even without the MP.

Keep in mind that Valve was open to the port, but nixed it for financial reasons relating to long-term multiplayer support. I wouldn't be surprised if they authorized a port this time around...and hopefully, stuck to their guns. We should all be so lucky. It truly is an incredible game.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 02:03 PM

I don't think we will be seing HL2.
Steam would be needed as well.

I just don't see them doing it.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 05:14 PM

Face facts people HL is a okay single player game but no one would give two shits about it if it were not for CS. CS made valve and will make HL2.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 20, 2004, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by willed:
Not sure about Valve but I'm pretty sure Gabe 'is fat LOL' Newell hates Macs and Mac users...and you. And he's in charge of Half Life.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Nov 20, 2004 at 05:54 PM. )

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 08:04 PM

( Last edited by Adam Betts; Aug 25, 2005 at 11:39 PM. )

Dex13
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 11:57 PM

plus the bundled multiplayer is CS Source ... just purchase that separately, better replay value.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2004, 01:33 PM

Let me see if I've distilled the arguments thus far correctly.

1.) Valve won't port Half-Life 2 because 'Gabe is fat lol' and fat people don't like Macs.

2.) Valve won't port Half-Life 2 because Gabe used to work for Microsoft and people who work at Microsoft don't like Macs.

3.) We shouldn't care anyways because the technology that Valve has been working on for 5+ years now is stupid and has no replay value and the only thing we should care about is a 5 year old mod with updated water textures and special effects that's been declining in popularity anyways.

Alright, number one is stupid and patently offensive...I've seen that BS on other forums but was holding hope that somehow this forum would manage to put itself above that kind of crap. I suppose I was wrong, but suffice to say that that was the first and last 'Gabe is fat lol' joke that I'll allow. If you disagree with the way Newell handled the PR for the past 2 years, say so directly.

Number two has a little more merit, but is still stupid. Why? Assuming that everyone at Microsft DOES hate Macs (which would be outright ignoring the MBU) they've been gone five years. If you worked for GM five years ago, do you still only ever buy GM cars? Come on...game development is driven by financial prospects, not pie-in-the-sky conspiracy theories about Microsoft brainwashing its employees to be permanently anti-Apple.

Number three I already addressed. CS is fun, and CS: Source will likely bump its popularity again in the short term. But you know what? It's THE SAME AS IT WAS FIVE YEARS AGO. People have moved on.

Arguments based on reasonable facts are fine, but for some reason I'm picking up that everyone here just has a pickle up their ass about Valve. They made an unpopular decision five years ago about a Mac market that was totally different than it is now. Whether they do or don't make a port, it'll only ever be based on financial reasons. What you all have to do is convince them it's a financially smart idea, not gripe about Half Life 1.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2004, 01:37 PM

Oh, and here's an article at Gamespot that I found to be a fascinating look at the real world of game development. Some of you have probably already seen it; it's a 30 page long look at the real story behind the development of Half-Life 2.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6112889/

P
Nov 21, 2004, 07:03 PM

Not the discussion about Gabe Newell and his weight isn't interesting and all, but... Does anyone have any real info, as in quotes or something, showing one way or the other if a port is going to happen?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 21, 2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by blizzard:
Let me see if I've distilled the arguments thus far correctly.

1.) Valve won't port Half-Life 2 because 'Gabe is fat lol' and fat people don't like Macs....
Oh no...you misunderstood or are inventing things. Nobody ever said fat people don't like Macs...heck, I'm fatLOL and love Macs.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 04:07 AM

It definitely would be nice if they ported it to our platform; however, I doubt my 1.5 G4 powerbook would run it anyway. Luckly I still have a farily modern PC and a lot of friends that just bought HL2... I'm sure I can buy it discounted off of them when they are done with it.

BTW. IMHO HL was amazing even without all the multiplayer aspects. They just made it that much better. I can't count the hours I wasted playing de_dust and other great counterstrike maps. The singleplayer HL game was great too though... way ahead of its time IMHO...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

yukon
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 03:48 AM

Was tempted to post a new thread, "So when's GTA:SA being ported to the Mac?", but I'm not that much of a jerk. Indeed, get a PC, lots of games. I believe I read that HalfLife2 will be supported by WineX/Cedega officialy on Linux, kinda sucks if it's not going to be on the Mac. I haven't played HL2 myself yet, waiting until the GF-6600GT AGP is sold locally. I am left out of GTASA without a console however until july or so.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2004, 02:12 AM

MMM... GTA:SA... if only they released it on Xbox... I just sold my PS2. But I did buy myself a copy of Halo 2... now all I need is a high def TV!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

AdvocateUK
Nov 28, 2004, 05:45 PM

I've fired off an email to Valve asking if there is any chance HL2 will be ported to Mac. Don't hold your breath for a reply (I'm not) but if I get one I'll post it here.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2004, 01:24 PM

HL2 uses the Havok physics engine extensively, no? Uru was just cancelled recently because they refuse to port that.

yukon
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 03:05 AM

Played GTASA, it's an expansion pack basically, lots of tweaks and cool stuff, but it's not different enough from VC to make me really want it badly, I will play it of course when it's out on PC, but I can relax now.

Played through Half Life 2 (crap videocard still, couldn't resist), it was alright. Good game up to chapter 5, it's ending was almost as disappointing as the original's. The final battle was all about platformer skills. There were very few voice actors and the skins of non-main characters were really bad, but content wise it seemed like they did the best they could do with what they had. Gameplay wasn't innovative, but was still great, the weapons were standard (excepting the awesome gravity one). the way the main characters acted was great, eyes now move etc. I'd guess that it's delays were caused by the need to incorporate ideas from Halo (the vehicle) and Doom (the Ravenholm level). Very buggy at the moment, sound troubles, about 6 crashes for me, a few levels where I had to save and reload, a level that didn't load after i passed the line, leading me to an incomplete black-mesa east entrance off-map, but I guess this is standard for some PC games. In all, a fun game, nothing really innovative (think 1984 crossed with Doom 3). LOTS of loading, it was easier on RAM than Tribes Vengeance was. HL fans will love it, I just enjoyed it for a couple days.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

az_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by yukon:
Played GTASA, it's an expansion pack basically, lots of tweaks and cool stuff, but it's not different enough from VC to make me really want it badly, I will play it of course when it's out on PC, but I can relax now....
Must not have played much. IMHO, GTASA makes GTAVC seem as shallow as Ms. Pac Man. I've been playing for quite a while now, and keep finding new things. And then I'll talk to a buddy, and he'll tell me about something he'd been doing - that I hadn't even thought of, but is also fully realized and quite deep.

Play it more. It ownz joo!1

Oh, and sorry for dragging this further off topic.

Matthew

beb
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 02:32 PM

You Know I've been using Macs since System 6 and I love my brand new 20" iMac G5. But I also own an Xbox. And since I know Half Life 2 will make it to Xbox, who the hell cares if it makes it to the Mac or not. I have my xBox with Half Life 2, and my iMac with Aperion and Bubble Trouble and Gridz. I'm happy.

euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by wuzup101
It definitely would be nice if they ported it to our platform; however, I doubt my 1.5 G4 powerbook would run it anyway. Luckly I still have a farily modern PC and a lot of friends that just bought HL2... I'm sure I can buy it discounted off of them when they are done with it.

BTW. IMHO HL was amazing even without all the multiplayer aspects. They just made it that much better. I can't count the hours I wasted playing de_dust and other great counterstrike maps. The singleplayer HL game was great too though... way ahead of its time IMHO...

Hell, yes! Two friends and me at work happened to meet every tuesday evening ("frag day") and played CS till midnight and further. Sometimes on two computers, sometimes only on one. Had beer and chips......plain fun....those were the days

Played RTCW multiplayer for the last few evenings but compared to CS it´s just fugly. Dark maps, only a few servers....i think i´ll ditch it

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Lesterm10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!

I have a PC and I only use that for the "Hardcore Games", and I've beaten half-life in about 3 days and have never touched it since, this is about 4 months ago. However, Half-life 2 does ship with Counter Strike Source and I play that for hours everyday, so there's a trade off to that. Also, Far Cry, I beat that in 5 days, and never touched it since. Ohh well, atleast there's Counter Strike on the PC and UT2004 on the Powerbook.
Dell Dimension XPS Gen 4 | P4 3.6 Ghz | 2GB of Memory | 160GB HDD | 80GB HDD | Dual Layer DVD-RW | DVD-ROM Drive | ATI Radeon X850 XT PE | Internal 10 in 1 Media Card Reader | Sony HX73 17 inch Silver LCD Monitor | Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse

Apple Powerbook 12" rev. D | 1.5 Ghz G4 | 1.256GB of Memory | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2005, 08:31 PM

you guys realize that this thread basically died a year ago and none of these people your quoting are not even going to read this right?

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2005, 10:09 PM

DAMMIT!!!!

This got my hopes up that Half-Life 2 was going to be ported to Mac...

Dammit!

Is it? Please, please, say yes! I'll run out and buy a duel G5 tonight if it is. I don't care what my wife would do to me, I must have CounterStrike again!!!

AHHHHH!!!

Sorry...got a little carried away.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2005, 11:55 PM

Okay there... well if your welling to buy a Dual G5 then you could just spend $300 on a cheap gaming pc and Counter-Strike your heart out... thinking now???

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 10:05 PM

I would never spend money on a PC, no matter how much I want to play CS.

I would never have one of those damned things in my house again. Someone could give me a top of the line gaming rig and I would sell it immediately.

I have my fill of PC's at work, where I try against all logic and reason to keep a lab full of 50 of them running smoothly. They're the last things I want to see when I get home, thanks.

I was also about to point out that you spelled willing, "welling," but then I noticed that I spelled dual, "duel," so I'm deprived of the opportunity to be a spelling smart-ass tonight.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2005, 10:48 PM

Some people pronounce willing, welling (even though it's not perfect english), i.e. people like me.

And do you know nothing of the old west???? They spellt and pronounce dual, duel... which is much more cool.

I was also going to say glad to meet a strictly mac user but then I realized you were a jerk so I'm deprived of the opportunity to be a "what I could have done" smart-ass tonight.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 12:17 AM

dual and duel are two different words.

And I was kidding. If I was a jerk, I would've pointed out that you used "your" when you meant "you're."

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2005, 12:41 AM

Okay... okay... you win... you're great at spelling, I give in... just don't make me cry!!
( Last edited by Flip500; Sep 3, 2005 at 02:56 AM. Reason: lol... "great" catch.... watch this: difernt (is that spelt right???))

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2005, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Flip500
Okay... okay... you win... your great at spelling, I give in... just don't make me cry!!
"YOU'RE great..." Now fix it before I kick you in the shins and steal your milk money.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules