Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > KTA Tennis 1.0

KTA Tennis 1.0
funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 01:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm the developer of KTA Tennis, a tennis game for Mac OS X similar to Nintendo's Tennis games.

I just released version 1.0, which has a lot of new features including new character animation (4 players total), new court graphics, and more.

You can visit the KTA Tennis webpage:
http://www.karlbecker.com/tennis

Or directly download the Mac OS X version:
http://www.trapzero.com/Downloads/ktatennis-osx.zip
Or the Mac OS 7 - 9 version:
http://www.trapzero.com/Downloads/ktatennis-ppc.sit

Please let me know what you think of the game, either in this thread or by emailing me at [email protected]
( Last edited by funkboy; Jan 8, 2005 at 02:43 PM. )

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 03:54 AM

It sucks, what the **** are you wasting your time for?

Naw, I'm just kidding. Keep up the good work!! It's fun and yet so simple kinda cute and is quite interesting.
"iPod Mini embodies everything Apple nay-sayers cry at every turn: overpriced style with mediocre substance." -PookJP
yo w3rd.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 12:33 PM

KTA Tennis 1.1 is now released!
Direct download link for Mac OS X

I have improved the game's fluidity (it should not be as choppy now), created new court graphics, and increased the computer's intelligence.

Game website (with screenshots): http://www.karlbecker.com/tennis

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 11, 2005, 01:29 PM

It's a pretty good game. It has lots of potential. The gameplay is simple and addictive and that's all that really counts...no matter what the general population thinks. Graphics and sound does not a game make. Gameplay is the only thing that really counts...everything else is the cherry on top.

Take Mario Tennis for example. Simple, yet addictive.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
It's a pretty good game. It has lots of potential. The gameplay is simple and addictive and that's all that really counts...no matter what the general population thinks. Graphics and sound does not a game make. Gameplay is the only thing that really counts...everything else is the cherry on top.

Take Mario Tennis for example. Simple, yet addictive.
Would you rank my gameplay on par with Mario Tennis?

And when you say general population... do you mean reviews on download sites, or just the general attitude of "better graphics mean better game?"

What things should I improve with the game?

Cheers

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 12, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by funkboy
Would you rank my gameplay on par with Mario Tennis?

And when you say general population... do you mean reviews on download sites, or just the general attitude of "better graphics mean better game?"

What things should I improve with the game?

Cheers
I'd have to say Mario Tennis beats KTA hands down. Sorry. But that isn't to say KTA isn't good. It's great.

General population = the general attitude of "better graphics mean better game"...the general attitude that 3D makes better games...I'm hoping it's a fad that will die soon...imagine what game makers could do using today's tech and 2D gaming.

Things that would improve the game? Analog support. I suppose this would be near impossible to implement at this stage (or lots of work)...the HID wasn't easy to work with back in the early OS X days...I'm not sure how it is now. Gamepads with good analog support are far and few.

Analog support is almost a must in a game such as KTA Tennis to really get control of the ball. At the moment, and correct me if I'm wrong, KTA has pseudo-analog support. By pseudo-analog I mean you get a form of analog control via the slight margin of acceleration the tennis player character gets in the direction of the key being pressed. This control doesn't take very long to get used to, but it's hard to master.

You really have to time everything to get the ball to do what you expect it to do or the ball will simply fly at full speed outside a court.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2005, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Things that would improve the game? Analog support. I suppose this would be near impossible to implement at this stage (or lots of work)...the HID wasn't easy to work with back in the early OS X days...I'm not sure how it is now. Gamepads with good analog support are far and few.

Analog support is almost a must in a game such as KTA Tennis to really get control of the ball. At the moment, and correct me if I'm wrong, KTA has pseudo-analog support. By pseudo-analog I mean you get a form of analog control via the slight margin of acceleration the tennis player character gets in the direction of the key being pressed. This control doesn't take very long to get used to, but it's hard to master.

You really have to time everything to get the ball to do what you expect it to do or the ball will simply fly at full speed outside a court.
Try out the mouse control method - this will give you finer control of your shots. Hopefully it is intuitive.

I hope to keep working on the game's control, including the keyboard controls - they're very touchy right now, and I hope I can improve its predictability.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by funkboy
Try out the mouse control method - this will give you finer control of your shots. Hopefully it is intuitive.

I hope to keep working on the game's control, including the keyboard controls - they're very touchy right now, and I hope I can improve its predictability.
Can't get this to work in 10.4.2...the game launches but the screen is blank, with occasional text artifacts. Is there a problem with Tiger compatibility?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Macola
Can't get this to work in 10.4.2...the game launches but the screen is blank, with occasional text artifacts. Is there a problem with Tiger compatibility?
Wow, I have not heard of such a problem. Try downloading the program again.

Version 1.2 is currently in development. New features will include:
* Tournament mode, as requested by so many
* less processor usage while idle (0%), and hopefully smoother gameplay yet on a variety of systems as a result
* umpire calls out the score every point (may be turned on/off)

Forum Links
Forum Rules