Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > is my G3 just really tired ?�?�

is my G3 just really tired ?�?�
pwrmac7600
Aug 23, 1999, 07:19 PM

i am running a beige G3/266DT with 128 meg of ram running 8.6. i have one eide 4.3 gig HD and one 4.3gig scsi hd installed (both internal) a internal zip 24x cd . well for some reason if i just leave my computer on and let it put itself to sleep when i go to wake it up it more then always crashes shortly after i wake it or it just runs like crap. wondering if anyone else has this problem or if anyone knows a solutionto this problem.

------------------
"once you go mac you
never go back!

MikeNH
Sep 12, 1999, 07:43 AM

I had a G3/266 Tower with a similar problem. Every time I would put it in sleep mode, it would never wake up. I did have the USB keyspan card added with hacked drivers to work with 8.6, and rumor had it that the USB card was causing it not to wake up. But even before I added the card I was having some probs waking my G3 up. My new B&W does not have that problem which is a nice feature :0
Not sure what to tell you exactly.
mike

macupdate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 1999, 01:57 PM

I purchased a grey G3/266 desktop model and the exact same thing (freezing after sleeping) happened right out of the box. It has a 4GB internal Ultawide SCSI drive. Maybe the problem is related to this type of drive being installed?

I had to turn sleeping off for it to stop crashing, however the computer itself is still very unstable and I spent over 40 hours on the phone with tech support from Apple.

-Joel Mueller

NeonBoy
Oct 4, 1999, 01:24 PM

My suggestion to you is never used it. If you have a Energy Saver monitor or any Energy Save product it is will automatically save energy. My Sony monitor alway start sleeping after many hours of used.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 1999, 01:37 PM

NeonBoy, 'sleep' does more than just dim your screen, it spins down your HD...

and when something goes a bit awry on my Mac, experience has proven that the best place to begin troubleshooting (usually, I say, usually) is by deleting any preferences files related to the application thought to be the culprit.

I have heard of quite a few reports of 'sleep issues' on both old and new Macs and there does not seem to be any across-the-board fix (it would seem that it is an Apple HD driver problem and if you are formatting any of your HD's with third-party driver solutions, that seems to invite more trouble as regards sleep) so you can start by deleting the Energy Saver pref's and see what happens...

nothing bad will happen and it could clear the sleep issue.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-04-1999).]

pwrmac7600
Oct 9, 1999, 05:48 PM

well i have a IDE and a scsi Hd in my G3 and it is really wierd if i let the computer put itself to sleep when i try to wake it up it sometimes crashes or just runs like crap , but if i actually go to the "special" menu and put it to sleep frm there then it wakes up fine. i have been noticing it more and more latley, if i let it go to sleep by itself and then wake it up and launch aol it sometimes will crash soon after sign on , and i know where your gonna start i mean i know aol is crap software but if i run aol after a clean start it is fine it only happens after i wake my computer up from a self indused sleep. sometimes as well my scsi drive just won't wake up. i use only apple tools to format and reformat my drives so i am lost. my old mac didn't have this problem just in the past 2 years since i got my G3/266 beige model. oh well guess i'll just have to get a 450 or 500 G4

------------------
"once you go mac you
never go back!"

RiscRocket
Oct 22, 1999, 10:11 PM

Try the shareware "Sleeper" from St. Claire software. v3.2 is brand new, but I have used this utility for 2 years with _excellent_ results.
But be sure to put the Energy control panel in the disabled folder so that it does _not_ load on startup.

------------------
the RiscRocket

Barry Rabin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 1999, 06:16 PM

I have been experiencing similar post sleep- related crashes and sluggish performance on a PowerCenter upgraded to G3/266. I have used Sleeper for 2 years and did not notice this problem until recently. I have updated Sleeper to v.3.2, and, unlike the older versions, I do believe the new version requires that Energy Saver be loaded if you want Sleeper to put your computer to Sleep. I have tried numerous things to avoid the sleep problem and can't seem to figure it out...always save before letting the computer go to sleep.

donnie
Oct 26, 1999, 01:33 AM

While searching around for possible problems before installing OS9...I ran into a Apple "TIL" update which might be a solution.

It seems that some G3s with a 24x CD have a "sleep" problem. Here's a quote from the download site: "Description: The G3 CD Update installs new firmware on certain 24x CD-ROM drive mechanisms. This new firmware insures
correct sleep and wakeup behavior. G3 CD Update 2.0 replaces G3 CD Update 1.0, and is meant for use on Power Macintosh G3 models with internal CD-ROM drives."

Here's the URL to that page (& thus, link to firmware upgrade download): http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates....0?OpenDocument

I haven't had the problem with my G3/233 MT, but it might work for you.

Good Luck,
Don

Ster
Oct 26, 1999, 10:14 AM

donnie-
when you run the firmware update, it opens the cd tray to remove any cd you have in there. are you supposed to leave the tray open while it tries to update, or close it back up?
thanks,
ster

agape
Nov 9, 1999, 01:39 PM

I had a similar problem on a 7300, and found
it was my error for having both scsi drives
terminated. however, i have seen other problems.

The machine, running Mac OS 9 would not come
out of sleep once it went to sleep. That was
no fun ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules