Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Installed 10.2.8 update - now can't boot

Installed 10.2.8 update - now can't boot
JASnyder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 09:04 AM

I let software update install the 10.2.8 update yesterday and now my G4/800 iMac won't boot. It just sits there displaying that little sweep second cursor. I ran the hardware test from the cd that came with the machine and all was normal.

Suggestions?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 09:15 AM

Don't give up on the sweeping cursor. Let it run, then walk away. It makes sense that the initial boot after a system update will take longer. If it's still doing that after an hour, come back and tell us.

Chris

JASnyder  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 09:32 AM

I've seen it take 5-10 minutes, so I know to wait a while. I watched an entire episode of American Chopper while it sat there.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 04:52 PM

OK. Then I would recommend booting to single user mode and running fsck. Then log in as admin and repair permissions.

Chris

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by JASnyder:
I let software update install the 10.2.8 update yesterday and now my G4/800 iMac won't boot. It just sits there displaying that little sweep second cursor. I ran the hardware test from the cd that came with the machine and all was normal.

Suggestions?
Same computer and update - no problems here.

JASnyder  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 11:10 AM

Tried Option S at startup, no luck. I then booted off my Jaguar CD, fixed permissions and verified the disk, still no luck. Finally I tried the archive and install option which ended up sitting there on "preparing disk" for five hours without budging the progress bar one pixel.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2003, 12:27 PM

I would think that at this point DiskWarrior might be able to help you.

If you don't want to do that, we can go further...You said "Option-S, no luck." The correct keystroke for single user mode is command-S. Try again with the correct keys and then let us know what happens.

Chris

MrK
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 12:37 PM

I had problems on a G4 800 15" as well. It will boot, but only after doing that "missing system" icon for 5 secs. Also, it killed the Ethernet, as many Powermac users were reporting. When you clicked system preferences, network, it came up with modem settings for ethernet, DHCP, etc was not available and manual did not work.

Had to reinstall from System restore and reupdate to 10.2.6. Also, had to do Archive install without preserving settings and manually copy over prefs, printers, fonts, Documents. Disk Warrior, Norton and restore with user settings all had same ethernet problems.

MrK
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 12:40 PM

If you have an external drive, boot off of that, copy your user folder over and do a clean install from the System Restore DVD. Copy your user folder back after install, bo not copy over prefs. Or rather, drag old prefs into new prefs folder, but click Apply to all and DO NOT REPLACE. Some of the prefs were part of the problem, as are some of the .kext files.

ehunt
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 06:46 PM

same thing happened to me...have tried every piece of software out there to get it up and running without any luck as all programs say my hardrive is fine! I have alot of old app's installed which i still use and don't have the installers anymore..is there any chance Apple wil release a stand-alone upgrade which can fix this problem which could then be installed off of a CD? hate to lose all my 3rd party apps and prefs! or will a clean install of the system folder still leave those intact? have you had any luck with anything JASnyder?

UPDATE - spoke to apple and they said a fix for 10.2.8 is coming..but you have to be able to boot to use it
( Last edited by ehunt; Oct 2, 2003 at 01:21 PM. )
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules