Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Airport and non-Apple PCMCIA Cards

Airport and non-Apple PCMCIA Cards
Jeff Jones
Location: In a galaxy far, far away -- well, Germany, to be honest
Sep 29, 2003, 09:36 AM

Hello there,

is it true that with the newer Airport (Extreme) Software you can use cards other than Apple's? If that is the case, which cards do work? And is it only 802.11g or does this also apply to 802.11b cards?

I am planning to change our local wired network to a wireless one. All computers are running OS X 10.2. There are two main reasons for me not to use Apple's cards:

1. They are more expensive. (Especially since I have a couple of really sweet deals for netgear equipment.)

2. We are using among others five Lombard-Powerbooks which are not capable of using internal Airport-cards.

I would very much appreciate any help or info from you guys. Thanks in advance,

JJ.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 09:59 AM

yes, all the PC 802.11b and g cards work with the newer Airport software (since v3.0.1 i think)

this is the least expensive 802.11g pc card i can find.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by iRebound:
this is the least expensive 802.11g pc card i can find.
Is that site on the up and up? It doesn't seem to mention the brand of the card...

Most of the time when I see an 802.11g card for sale, it's usually around $60-$80...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 07:43 PM

I distinctly remember hearing on an apple stream that the PCMCIA bus did not have the bandwidth to handle Airport Extreme. That's why the use that weird hardware interface.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 08:13 PM

I'd recommend just setting up a .11b network. It'll be easier and everything will be cheaper. Plus the advantages of .11g are elusive at best.
I really like Netgear's MR814. And for 34 bucks!!!, it's hard to beat.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
I distinctly remember hearing on an apple stream that the PCMCIA bus did not have the bandwidth to handle Airport Extreme. That's why the use that weird hardware interface.
I think you're thinking of the regular old AirPort slots that are inside pre-AE Macs rather than PCMCIA. Those don't have enough bandwidth to run AE, but given the large number of PCMCIA cards that can do 802.11g, I doubt that's a problem.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MrK
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 09:16 PM

Anyone actually using a particular brand they would recommend?

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 11:35 PM

PCMCIA (16 bit) doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle AE, but CardBus (32 bit) does. Most slots nowadays are CardBus/PCMCIA, and are generally refered to as "PC Card slots"

The original Airport slots were modified PCMCIA slots (coded only to accept Lucent/Airport cards)
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Forum Links
Forum Rules