Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WOW. is AppleCare ever worth it!!

WOW. is AppleCare ever worth it!!
MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2004, 06:16 PM

A couple days ago, I posted about the hinges on my TiBook snapping as I opened it. Well, about 30 hours ago, I called AppleCare.. and I just recieved my fixed powerbook back!! Brand new screen, and she is all cleaned up!! Thanks AppleCare!!

-Mark

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 07:51 PM

Another happy applecare story - warms my heart.

Laptop + Applecare = Essential!

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 10:11 PM

Not to disagree with you about AppleCare, but some would argue that, for the price you pay on most PowerBooks, you should get more than a one-year warranty to begin with.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
Not to disagree with you about AppleCare, but some would argue that, for the price you pay on most PowerBooks, you should get more than a one-year warranty to begin with.
Well, maybe so. But in terms of Applecare and Apple customer support, the latest Consumer Reports just came out with Apple WAAAAY ahead of the nearest PeeCee competition. AND Apple has the most reliable computers in the world according to them.

PeteWK

mrdhammer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 03:06 AM

I have to agree with the original poster... when the hinges on my TiBook snapped, I called applcare (day before my warranty expired!), an airborne express guy came, and it was back in less than 2 days -- I was expecting at least twice that and was presently surprised. Yes, it would've been nicer if it had never broken in the first place, but good job on the service.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 03:14 AM

You can never go wrong with Apple Care. Glad to hear you had a good experience with them.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2004, 04:08 AM

if Apple really cared they would send someone to fix it on-site ok don't flame me, it is very late here and sleep depravation makes us bio-units do craZy things and type crazY things. I know I know alot of things could not be fixed on-site... so before anyone becomes a wise-guy (ok I guess you could make the claim I am being a wise-guy right now), I am just Joshing ya. Settle down and enjoy some humor. I myself enjoy wondering how this fella (this one here -> ) can alternate tears from his eyes like that all while doing the worm with his mouth. sorry I think I dozzed off there.

{most worthless post ever}

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2004, 11:54 AM

My motherboard on my iBook died, fortunatly I had just purchased the AppleCare extended warranty around 2 weeks earlier, just before the one year warranty ran out...

I got it back with a new blank hard drive, and when I called Apple about it they told me they would send me my old drive & I would have 30 days to attempt to salvage the data off of it... It took over 2 weeks for them to get my drive to me, they indicated they had a little trouble sending it...

When I got the drive I found that (assuming the drive was mine) it had been formatted and some files were dragged over to it (an Applications folder, which made no sence to me as to why they would drag this over at random)...

When I did a full scan I was unable to see any data. This means that they either did a low level format of the drive first, or that the drive they gave me WAS NOT mine...

Needless to say, I lost all my data and now can't get it back. Based off of Apple's recomendation I deleted the backup I had of my files in order to get enough room to make a new backup. However, I was unable to backup before my whole system died, so basically I had NO backup...

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2004, 03:28 PM

Apple always says to backup your data before you send it in. Unfortunately in a logic board issue....that's kind of hard.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Feb 11, 2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
Apple always says to backup your data before you send it in. Unfortunately in a logic board issue....that's kind of hard.
Not if you keep a regular backup anyway.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
I was able to get my iBook into target disk mode even after the logic board and video connection started getting all goofy, and do the backup that way. Now, for all I know, if I had waited five more minutes, things would have deteriorated so badly that even that would not have worked, but it's worth a try if you have a second Mac arounf to back up to.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
Not if you keep a regular backup anyway.
My backup was 2 months old... I would have lost around 40 photos or so if I had kept it... I so wish I hadn't tried to get a current backup at this point though, since not only did I loose thoes 40 photos, but I lost a few thousand others along with it...

-Q-
Feb 11, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
{most worthless post ever}
Can't disagree.

-Q-
Feb 11, 2004, 05:20 PM

After losing the logic board in my iBook twice, it's now backed up weekly. I have no doubt it's going to die in the future, just a matter of when...

But very glad to hear the excellent results from AppleCare. I need to pick it up for my TiBook in a few months.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2004, 06:02 PM

In all my history of dealing with applecare I've *NEVER* seen less than a 5 day turnaround.

And I'm pretty damn near cupertino.
Aloha

MarkLT1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2004, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Link:
In all my history of dealing with applecare I've *NEVER* seen less than a 5 day turnaround.

A local place did it.. he ordered the part the day I brought it in, then received it the next day, and fixed it that day..

aricher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 07:03 PM

Here's my AppleCare PB story thus far. I bought a new PowerBook 17" in the end of November- received in December (upgraded 2 GB RAM and 5400 HD) Upon boot I noticed a couple of 1/4 inch dark spots (pixels) on the screen in the menu bar area - one on each side of the panel. It really didn't bother me too much as the flaw was in the menu bar area - not too noticeable. After having the PB for a few weeks dark rub marks began to appear on the inside top metallic edges of the display with matching marks on the palm rest area. (Smacks self) I shoulda bought the wildeeps.

A this point I decided to take the PB into the local Apple Store and have the "Genius," condescendingly say to me "oh, the rub marks are a cosmetic issue - your fault for picking it up bu the edges we wont replace that." I then asked him to look at the screen's dark spots - he said that he would send it in to the depot for repair and if it was deemed a flaw then it would be fixed. 2 DAYS LATER my PB came back to the store for pickup - flawless - the depot fixed the rubbed bezel as well as the flawed screen. Awesome service - minus the pompous Apple "Genius" as soon as I got home I immediately installed the wildeeps in fear of experiencing the bezel rub once again.

2 weeks pass - my superdrive (Mashita DVD-R UJ-816) goes bad - won't eject disks. They tried to fix it in the store - no go. Sent it to depot - fixed in 2 days again.

Oh yeah, as far as Bobby's post goes - at the Apple store they asked me in-store if I had backed up my data or if I would like to buy their optional "Data Backup" - I think it was $40 or 50. Not sure if they would offer this in the case of a bad mobo or disk.

A+ to AppleCare - It has saved my a** on more than one PB and a desktop or two over the years - worth every penny. Now if they could just get some friendlier "Geniuses."
Wherever you go... there you are.

gurman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 10:56 AM

Well, since Apple's repair locations are in the south central or southeast states, Cupertino might be quite a ways from the repair sites.

I live near DC, and have never had a Powerbook repair and return take more than three days.

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 12, 2004, 11:27 AM

Just because their HQ is in Cupertino doesn't mean a repair facility is..

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2004, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by MarkLT1:
A couple days ago, I posted about the hinges on my TiBook snapping as I opened it. Well, about 30 hours ago, I called AppleCare.. and I just recieved my fixed powerbook back!! Brand new screen, and she is all cleaned up!! Thanks AppleCare!!

-Mark

Congrats Mark,
I am very happy for you that things went well with repairs to your Tibook. Whew! It is good to see a thread with someone praising Apple support on as well. Now where are the those people who say, that people come on only to whine? Again congrats!!!!!!!!

macxtal
Feb 12, 2004, 09:52 PM

If you can afford a powerbook, you're probably a sucker paying for Applecare. You're better off selling the powerbook after 11 months and buying a new one - you will get a much faster notebook, a year of warranty, likely a new copy of the OS, you get brand new everything - all for around ~$80mo. Factor the cost of applecare and the OS upgrade into the depreciation over the year.

Apple powerbooks hold their value well. Take advantage of that fact and SELL that sucker and get a brand new one. Make sure to remind the person you sell it to THEY can still get Applecare in the 1mo remaining, or you can get it before transferring ownership as a condition of sale. Not sure how this works.

If you want to keep it, fine, but unless your finances are very tight, a yearly upgrade cycle makes a lot of sense. You need the change to plunk down for a new powerbook while you're selling the old one, though.

MarkLT1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by macxtal:
If you can afford a powerbook, you're probably a sucker paying for Applecare. You're better off selling the powerbook after 11 months and buying a new one - you will get a much faster notebook, a year of warranty, likely a new copy of the OS, you get brand new everything - all for around ~$80mo. Factor the cost of applecare and the OS upgrade into the depreciation over the year.
Heh.. doesnt hold true for a grad student like myself.. No way I will be affording another PB for a good long time.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 12:25 AM

I typically get same day service

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Macola:
For the amount I pay in taxes I should be getting free healthcare, too, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Thus medical insurance.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 05:04 PM

I'll disagree. The DVI connection only displays the magenta channel. I sent it in and it didn't get fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules