Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon dropping Powershot Mac SDK Support

Canon dropping Powershot Mac SDK Support
macxtal
May 27, 2004, 12:19 PM

From the Canon developer page:

PLEASE NOTE: The Macintosh version of SDK 6.0.1 supports EOS digital SLRs only (EOS-1Ds, 1D, 10D, D60, D30, Digital Rebel). Canon Inc. has informed us that they are dropping Mac OS SDK support for PowerShot cameras introduced in 2003 and going forward. We will continue to offer Mac OS SDK 5.0.0 for PowerShot cameras with USB interface introduced before 2003.

This doesn't affect end users directly, but it does affect those who use third party applications developed for the macintosh platform. This is upsetting to see, and I hope that anyone concerned about equal support for the Macintosh and Canon will email their customer service department and let their opinion be heard.

Development of one nifty macintosh application that I am working on has effectively stopped with this announcement.

I don't know if this is a forebringer of other support being dropped on the Macintosh as well, but it's not a good sign.

brachiator
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 11:13 PM

Hey, macxtal, do you have that e-mail address? I can't seem to find it on the website...

thanks,
Mike

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2004, 09:52 AM

PLEASE NOTE: The Macintosh version of SDK 6.0.1 supports EOS digital SLRs only (EOS-1Ds, 1D, 10D, D60, D30, Digital Rebel). Canon Inc. has informed us that they are dropping Mac OS SDK support for PowerShot cameras introduced in 2003 and going forward. We will continue to offer Mac OS SDK 5.0.0 for PowerShot cameras with USB interface introduced before 2003.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...developer.html

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 10:35 AM

But the more recent models are supported by the Image Capture framework, aren't they?

(Image Capture provides an abstraction layer so you only have to use one set of APIs to talk to a wide range of cameras - it's what the Image Capture application and iPhoto use)

Forum Links
Forum Rules