Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How much does putting a website on the web costs?

How much does putting a website on the web costs?
Potatohead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 02:57 PM

I made a site using dreamweaver but I would like to know how much costs the server.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 03:02 PM

Costs can vary widely, it depends on what host you choose and how much space and bandwidth you need, etc. Your ISP may already provide you with some free space that you can use.

This is not an Application question...
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

macupdate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 09:25 PM

hostsolutions.com can do it for $9.95/month if you sign-up using the coupon code "macupdate." Otherwise, there are a number of other options, like the .Mac service from Apple. Just do a search for web hosting, but be aware that many of the web hosting companies are resellers, and a $3/month account is probably worth what you pay for it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2006, 09:41 PM

Dreamhost starts at $8/mo... great host.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 10:24 PM

Dreamhost has been good to me, too (I got in on their "777" promotion that gave me a full year of hosting and domain registration for less than $10). After the promo year, it goes up to about $10 a month, which is pretty standard for a hosting service.

If you're totally new to the hosting thing I'd recommend doing the learning experience with your ISP, assuming they offer some form of basic hosting with your net access account (as most if not all do). Move up to something more after you've learned the ropes and/or want your own domain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules