Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Problem with VersionTracker Download Cart.

Problem with VersionTracker Download Cart.
milo
Jan 15, 2007, 03:31 AM

( Last edited by milo; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:35 AM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 09:02 AM

Use MacUpdate instead.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Use MacUpdate instead.
plus won

milo  (op)
Jan 16, 2007, 04:12 AM

( Last edited by milo; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:30 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 16, 2007, 08:04 AM

I've had nothing but problems with VT since the initial changeover years ago. Everyone I know that used it couldn't stand the change-over either.

That is why we recommended Macupdate.

I had problems with VT also catering to programmers when getting bad reviews.

One time I had a dev register a new account just to belittle me because I gave his product a bad rating. I looked into his info and sure enough he had registered the account using the host of his program company.

I complained to VT. A few hours later said account's visible email addy was gone and said dev was never reprimanded.

I have no faith in VT. They cater to who pays them money.

I've never had such problems with MacUpdate.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 10:41 AM

Isn't macupdate closed on Sundays?

That's a problem for me, and what keeps me away from them.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 11:09 AM

I knew this would end up having something to do with "tolerance." You people are so petty.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 04:48 PM

An ill-conceived insult? Well, aren't you precious.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 04:50 PM

You people are so pretty.
Thank you, I just got my hair done yesterday.

milo  (op)
Jan 16, 2007, 06:16 PM

( Last edited by milo; Dec 23, 2007 at 01:31 AM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 06:22 PM

why would anyone pay to use MacUpdate o_O
we don't have time to stop for gas

Railroader
Banned
Jan 17, 2007, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post

An ill-conceived insult? Well, aren't you precious.
ahem....

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 17, 2007, 07:48 AM

So you wont use them for purely bigotry reasons. Great.

It shouldn't matter what a person's religion, sexual orientation, skin color is. If they are doing a good job at what they do, I will commend them.

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
why would anyone pay to use MacUpdate o_O
Why would anyone pay to use Versiontracker?

I wouldn't PAY to use either.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
So you wont use them for purely bigotry reasons. Great.

It shouldn't matter what a person's religion, sexual orientation, skin color is. If they are doing a good job at what they do, I will commend them.
Right. But, religion is a choice.

Do you commend them when they decide to shut down and tell YOU about it? As far as I'm concerned, no one has any business telling me who my god should be or (even funnier) is. Any one who does can **** off, I'll take my business elsewhere. Keep it to yourselves from now on. If I wanted to go to a church I would.

This is a personal choice of mine which I am fully capable and within my right of making without approval from you or anyone. Get used to it.

Besides, I never really used either for the last few years. All I found myself doing is using them to search and there are more complete databases out there. Does the guy who runs the best one think we all should be christians or muslims or buddhists or satanists? I don't know, he doesn't say. Just how I like it.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 17, 2007, 12:50 PM

That's debatable.
Do you commend them when they decide to shut down and tell YOU about it? As far as I'm concerned, no one has any business telling me who my god should be or (even funnier) is. Any one who does can **** off, I'll take my business elsewhere. Keep it to yourselves from now on. If I wanted to go to a church I would.

This is a personal choice of mine which I am fully capable and within my right of making without approval from you or anyone. Get used to it.

Besides, I never really used either for the last few years. All I found myself doing is using them to search and there are more complete databases out there. Does the guy who runs the best one think we all should be christians or muslims or buddhists or satanists? I don't know, he doesn't say. Just how I like it.
So, you'll use an inferior product because of a person's personal beliefs? Beliefs that don't harm you in anyway?

That's so intelligent and bigoted of you.

macupdate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 04:46 PM

Milo, if you email MacUpdate with your phone number and reference this forum post, I'd be happy to give you a call and walk you through the MacUpdate Watch List, and how its features are _incredibly_ slick and user friendly.

Once you understand how it works (which takes about 10-seconds), you'll love how simplistic and fast it is.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 25, 2007, 04:54 PM

None of that above happened. You over-reacted, and still are.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 04:55 PM

Steve Jobs stands opposite to just about everything I believe in, but since I like his products, I don't worry about it. That's all we're saying. Of course, if "we" were to be so staunch in our refusing to use a service based on a lack of a faith, we'd be called zealots, bigots, etc.

That's all we're saying. And "we" think it's funny.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 05:03 PM

I had no idea macupdate was a Christain-run business (how did you even find this out?). I much prefer it to versiontracker and will continue to use them.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 05:18 PM

Here's the Christmas day 2005 archive of macupdate.com with the wacky Apple/Jesus themed message that some people found off-putting.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 05:20 PM

That's right, Alien Jesus™

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 25, 2007, 05:26 PM

This was also on the site

"The life that is unexamined is not worth living." -Plato"

Fookin plato! That's it!!1 I am NEVER USING MACUPDATE EVER AGAIN.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 05:28 PM

I use MacUpdate. Don't see the issue with using a service from someone whose religion I don't think is right — that's most people.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Railroader
Banned
Jan 25, 2007, 05:30 PM

Steve Jobs stands opposite to just about everything I believe in, but since I like his products, I don't worry about it. That's all we're saying. Of course, if "we" were to be so staunch in our refusing to use a service based on a lack of a faith, we'd be called zealots, bigots, etc.

That's all we're saying. And "we" think it's funny.
QFT.

Most people would be amazed at the beliefs of some of the people who started or run a lot of companies.

If someone makes/sells a good product, use/buy it.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 09:30 PM

I've already stated I use the best "product" for my purposes and that neither MacUpdate nor VersionTracker are it. Not even close.

Got a problem with that? Too bad.

Got a problem with me having and exercising beliefs different than yours? Too bad again.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 25, 2007, 09:39 PM

Got a problem with me having and exercising beliefs different than yours?
No not at all.

But you seem to have problems with others having different beliefs than yours.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 11:46 PM

Not once have I ever tried or even wanted to stop anyone from exercising or espousing their beliefs. I try to prevent myself from being exposed to it when it's something I disagree with. Huge difference. And unlike yourself, I don't try to recruit others to do what I do because I think they should, either.

If you can prove that that's a wrong thing to do, maybe you should run for president. Chicanery like that could take you a long way.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 01:01 AM

Got a problem with me having and exercising beliefs different than yours? Too bad again.
Ahem...
Not once have I ever tried or even wanted to stop anyone from exercising or espousing their beliefs. I try to prevent myself from being exposed to it when it's something I disagree with. Huge difference. And unlike yourself, I don't try to recruit others to do what I do because I think they should, either.

If you can prove that that's a wrong thing to do, maybe you should run for president. Chicanery like that could take you a long way.
You should have listened to yourself.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 07:51 AM

Again more baseless accusations. I am not doing any such thing. They weren't either. When you have to exaggerate or all out make up stuff to attempt to justify your actions, you have already lost.

No one here is bashing you for your beliefs. No one here is saying we wont read your posts because of your bigotry.

However you are claiming you wont use a webpage because of someone's personal beliefs.

That's shallow.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 10:51 AM

You are both trying to get me to use MacUpdate despite my own beliefs! Can you not remember what you post??? How convenient.

Bigotry? Nice one. I don't expect nor try to pressure anyone to patronize an organization or business whose ideology they disagree with. It's indecent to do so. You do expect people to, however, and you've said so multiple times and have made baseless accusations toward me because making choices based on that is something I do. Now you claim you've never done that. (bolded for the boldinator up there)

Ridiculous! You don't have a leg to stand on. If all you have is calling me a bigot, knock yourself out.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Here's the Christmas day 2005 archive of macupdate.com with the wacky Apple/Jesus themed message that some people found off-putting.
Thats.. bizzare.. and I don't think religion and business should mix that much, but that is the beauty of America's free market. I will still continue to use MacUpdate unless they are really really pushy, and to-date they have not been.

Yose
Senior User
Jan 26, 2007, 01:17 PM

Re: Religion + MacUpdate.

Business owners need to put themselves into their companies - their companies should have the same principles that they do, otherwise it's not really going to work, imo.

And, I wouldn't patronize an establishment that chose to use their service - a service for the general public, regardless of whatever - as a vehicle for promoting their personal beliefs onto their customers. It's fine in a mission statement - but for me there is a line between that and actively pushing it.

So good for MacUpdate guy for running a business, and good for zro for having his principles. Boo to the rest of you who didn't get it.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yose View Post
And, I wouldn't patronize an establishment that chose to use their service - a service for the general public, regardless of whatever - as a vehicle for promoting their personal beliefs onto their customers.
So if a Jew were to put up a menorah for the holidays, you'd refuse to go to his shop?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 02:06 PM

Perhaps some of us take the apparent secular nature of the internet for granted.

Yose
Senior User
Jan 26, 2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So if a Jew were to put up a menorah for the holidays, you'd refuse to go to his shop?
If they did that and also required I participate in any traditions surrounding the menorah as a requirement for using their service. That's right, I wouldn't.
( Last edited by Yose; Jan 26, 2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: clarified something)
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 02:24 PM

You are both trying to get me to use MacUpdate despite my own beliefs! Can you not remember what you post??? How convenient.
No we said the reason you don't use it is based on bigotry. And we thought that was silly.
Bigotry? Nice one.
It's not nice at all. Picking or choosing people you associate or deal with based on their race, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation IS bigotry.

We aren't saying you can't do what you want to. We just told you what you were doing was bigotry. And it is. That isn't a personal attack. That was me attempting to inform you that your actions aren't right.

I am not Jewish or Muslims, but if a company decided to put such a thing up n their site it wouldn't bother me a bit. Why? I am SECURE with my beliefs.

What would you call someone that wouldn't have anything to do with a group or business because they had homosexuals in that group?

It's the same thing.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
I will still continue to use MacUpdate unless they are really really pushy, and to-date they have not been.
And that's the part that zro is not getting. MacUpdate doesn't shove their beliefs down anyone's throat. On Christmas Day they put an entrance page up stating their beliefs and had a link allowing users to use the rest of the site undecorated.

Google does the almost the same exact thing and I'll bet zro uses them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules