Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Netscape 6 Troubleshooting

Netscape 6 Troubleshooting
MacNN Staff
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2000, 01:32 PM

ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/netscape/ne.../macos8.5/sea/

If you receive a prompt for a password, it means that all the anonymous download spots are full; keep trying until you can get a spot =)

[This message has been edited by mkbhatia (edited 11-11-2000).]

ACEvb2
Nov 11, 2000, 01:39 PM

how do i download this thing?? i go to the address and i get login incorrect. help!!!!

javastein13
Nov 11, 2000, 01:45 PM

Umm.. you do know that MacNN has linked to a FOREIGN MIRROR (read:NOT the official version) of an INCOMPLETE PRODUCT.

The final release of Netscape 6 is *NOT* out yet.

Please, wait for the final release. It'll be all over http://home.netscape.com when it's officially released.

poutch
Nov 11, 2000, 02:10 PM

use transmit (ftp client), paste the link bellow, and hit enter as soon it said too many user. after a couple of times, it will start to download.

Big Bob
Nov 11, 2000, 02:17 PM

javastein, that is not completely correct... Netscape is getting ready to post it, but they have not quite set up the folders (or pulled them?), as you will see by following the path of the mirror as far as it will let you on NS's ftp site - ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/ . Yes, I know no more links work on it, but I get the idea that they will soon.

Pauldunlop_UK
Nov 11, 2000, 05:02 PM

Can I just say that you, including MacNN are wrong. This is not the final release, but a new preview release, now available from http://home.netscape.com

Go check for yourself ! Unless I'm wrong, the last version was Preview release 2....well Preview release 3 is now there ! Cool ! Hopefully will be better than the last to, which both had an amazing ability to destroy themselves.....like a Dwarf in Myth 2 !!

Pauldunlop_UK
Nov 11, 2000, 05:05 PM

Actually, just ignore me....silly little me just replied before getting my facts right....oops, how embarassing ! The PR 3 release must have passed me by the other month....apologies to all. I'll now go and lower my head in shame and hide in the corner

javastein13
Nov 11, 2000, 05:08 PM

Big Bob-speaking as a Netscape employee, I can assure you that I'm not incorrect..
It's coming soon, as is evident, but the final release isn't up there yet.

(required disclaimer:my opinions, don't reflect company, etc..)

bleen
Senior User
Nov 11, 2000, 05:10 PM

Following up what Big Bob said if you go to that Netscape FTP site. There is 6_PR3 and also a 6.0. If you click 6.0 it says Permission Denied.

I just hopeFizzilla (the MacOS X port) will be finialized in addition to this.

bleen
Senior User
Nov 11, 2000, 05:51 PM

In the other forum "Comments" I noted my info on this GM of Netscape 6. I am running the Application right now. Patience is the key to download the app.

mkbhatia
Administrator
Nov 11, 2000, 05:53 PM

I downloaded it this morning and there is NO preview mentioned in the dialog. As far as I can tell this, indeed, is the final release.

although comments by a Netscape employee carry a lot of weight.

m.

update: Well, given the somewhat conflicting information and the notes from Netscape's employees here, I have updated the main page to better reflect the information available. There do seem to be some issues with the build, but there is definitely not any "preview mark" or even 'fc' attached to the version number. I'm not exactly sure how "final" the build is, so I've dubbed it a semi-final' build for lack of a better term.

[This message has been edited by mkbhatia (edited 11-11-2000).]

gerbil
Nov 11, 2000, 06:50 PM

The lack of a "Preview Release" label may not mean much, since all it indicates is that they just removed the label in anticipation of a FUTURE final release, but they could make changes between now and then.

This happened with Preview Release 1, which was reportedly "leaked" when Netscape temporarily put some build files on their servers to test their distribution systems. The actual Preview Release wasn't released for another week or so.

Just wait for an official announcements guys. For those who downloaded this "semi-final" build, upgrade to the official one whenever it is announced.

My main concern in all of this is how Netscape is handling this. I have faith in the Mozilla project, but Netscape is locked an a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation since some people want Netscape to delay Netscape 6 so more bug fixes can be checked in, while others are saying that it's taken too long and want it now.

One final note, the Netscape FTP server had an empty "PR3" for several weeks before Preview Release 3 was actually released.

http://www.gerbilbox.com/newzilla/

gerbil
Nov 11, 2000, 06:55 PM

Oh, to address the mention about Fizzilla:

Although work on FizzillaCFM, the full carbon port of Mozilla, has accelerated in recent weeks, it is still far from finished. And besides, Mac OS X isn't due for many many months, so what's the point of releasing it now?

FizzillaCFM test builds are available from mozilla.org

The status of FizillaMach, a half-carbon/half-unix Mac OS X only Mozilla port, is still unknown at this time, but will probably pick up once the full-carbon port is in much better shape.

http://www.gerbilbox.com/newzilla/

javastein13
Nov 11, 2000, 07:24 PM

Odd, both of gerbil's posts say "Posts: 7"...

gerbil
Nov 11, 2000, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by javastein13:
Odd, both of gerbil's posts say "Posts: 7"...
Odd, let's see what this post says.

gerbil
Nov 11, 2000, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by gerbil:
Odd, let's see what this post says.
Oh, the thing just updates the total number of posts I've made to the ENTIRE forum. The numbers are right.

mrmacnow
Nov 11, 2000, 10:24 PM

As a fellow netscape employee, I can verify that this isn't a final release either. Sit tight, the final release will available soon.

Robbie-R
Nov 12, 2000, 05:40 AM

Go to http://www.macfreak.org/, they have the full version on their local server for speedy download =) The site is in Dutch but if you look at the links on the homepage and click them, they will bring you to the download link (just two clicks away =)

Cipher13
Nov 12, 2000, 06:46 AM

Wow, what an awesome site design... too bad I can't read it

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 11-12-2000).]

am
Nov 12, 2000, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by gerbil:
And besides, Mac OS X isn't due for many many months, so what's the point of releasing it now?
Well, MacOS X Public Beta is used by thousands of people worldwide. Now they have to choose among three browsers: OmniWeb, iCab and IE. I'm sure most of them have already decided and won't change their preference for MacOS X GM.
(I chose OmniWeb.)

I tested the CFM version of Mozilla, it really sucks. It crashes about every second page view, the menu bar is inside the window (X Window-Users feel at home, but I don't), it's very slow and about 500 times larger than iCab to download.

macupdate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2000, 08:46 AM

MacUpdate has posted 2 mirrors of the Netscape 6 file. Download it at:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5198

craigz
Nov 12, 2000, 10:37 AM

I downloaded this and found it buggy as all hell - insistent Netcenter register crashed repeatedly; running browser won't even connect to AOL mail. Hope for Netscape's sake it is definitiely NOT the final release.

DrCJames
Nov 12, 2000, 10:42 AM

All,

Once again, the dowload went smoothly. I placed it on three Macs in my house office. It worked for a grand total of 5 times and then now opens to a blank screen and freezes the machine. Sounds like more work is needed.

Regards,

Jim

gerbil
Nov 12, 2000, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by am:
Well, MacOS X Public Beta is used by thousands of people worldwide. Now they have to choose among three browsers: OmniWeb, iCab and IE. I'm sure most of them have already decided and won't change their preference for MacOS X GM.
(I chose OmniWeb.)

I tested the CFM version of Mozilla, it really sucks. It crashes about every second page view, the menu bar is inside the window (X Window-Users feel at home, but I don't), it's very slow and about 500 times larger than iCab to download.
I am aware that a sizeable number of people are using OS X beta (hell even I want to use it!), but not every company with Mac products is making a beta product available for OS X, and there's no real reason for them to until late beta or the final thing is rolled out.

FizzillaCFM hasn't been developed that much, and isn't getting full development time yet. The fact that a number of more recent CFM builds were made is encouraging.

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2000, 11:11 AM

I have been playing with the semi-final built for a couple of hours now and have not experienced any issues. I like the fact that I can crank up the resolution to 96 DPI like IE, and I think the rendering engine is just WAY FASTER than IE's Tasman engine is, but there are 3 issues for me:

1. Still locks up the machine hard occasionally. I think there might be a memory leak somewhere.
2. Can't use mouse wheel. Looks like Netscape is using a custom widget for the scroll bar. Ah well.... There are some prices to be paid for cross platform code.
3. Can't use username/password authentication for Usenet servers. This will be a problem for all Earthlink customers.

Other than that, I like this release alot, despite it's 20MB memory footprint.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules