Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Importing from Emailer 2.0

Importing from Emailer 2.0
superamit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 1999, 12:02 PM

Anyone else have problems importing their large email files from Emailer 2.0? As has already been noted elsewhere, it seems that OE will only import the inbox, outbox, sentmail, and trash folder. Very annoying. Anyone found a way around this?

I found that giving OE a *big* chunk of memory let it get most of the way through my boxes, but it seemed to stop somewhere during the night and didn't get all the way through my mail. Needless to say, trying again won't start off where it left off, but from scratch.. darn microsoft...

Also, anyone know of a way to close the message pane in the 3 pane view setup? I really want to double click messages to pop up new windows like in Emailer...

amit.

Munin
Oct 20, 1999, 12:15 PM

I gave OE around 70 MB of memory for use when I imported thousands and thousands of messages from Emailer 2.0v3. (I tried without increasing the memory and failed.)

OE imported all of my mail in about 1.5 hours including all custom folders and sub-folders. (Approximately 50-60 custom folders.)

I noticed that memory usage kept creeping higher during the transition but it never reached the upper ranges of the amount I had given OE. I was never able to import my messages using 4.5.

tbraun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 1999, 01:41 PM

I've never been able to get OE to import from Emailer. I have a 160MB emailer mail database, which seems to be the trouble. Both 4.5 and 5.0 will fail partway into my folder heierarchy, 5.0 in the sent mail folder and 4.5 slightly further down the list. I've tried giving more RAM to both OE and Emailer (70 MB each, I have 176 MB real RAM) but it doesn't change anything. I've also rebuilt my emailer database to no avail.

I'd like to try OE, since I could really use HTML and IMAP support, but unless I can import my existing mail, it's not worth it. Microsoft should add a resume import feature so OE can tackle larger email databases like mine piece by piece.

-Tim

LarryP
Oct 20, 1999, 08:42 PM

I've never been able to successfully import all of my Emailer folders into OE4.5 -- directly at least. I've found through trial and error that when it stops importing, the message it stops on can not be imported. If I move it out of the way and try again everything will go well until it hits a different message it doesn't like. That's far too time-consuming to deal with, and it also means that a select few messages wouldn't be imported at all.

I got around it (sort of) by moving my mail to Eudora (demo), then importing into OE from there. That seemed to work.

I haven't tried OE5.0 yet (and I think I'll wait a couple of weeks until the problems get resolved), but what I'm really hoping for (probably in vain) is the AppleWorks Emailer descendant that's been rumored about. Until then, I'm using OE4.5 to keep my options open. (For awhile, I was having OE leave my mail on the server, then picking it up with Emailer to keep all of my mail there -- just in case -- but the last couple of months Emailer has been idle.)

karl_ackermann
Oct 21, 1999, 06:47 AM

Here's how I was able to import all my emailer files. Hopefully there's a better way.

1. Give emailer as much ram as possible. In my experience it was emailer that crashed because of low ram.

2. Import as many folders as possible into Outlook.

3. Go back into emailer and add a "zzz" prefix to any folders that were imported into outlook. Since outlook imports folders alphabetically, these won't get imported until the very end. Also, move all your "Inbox", "Outbox","Read Mail", and "Sent Mail" files into folders with a "zzz" prefix, since you can't rename these.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all your files are imported.

Lord Kenja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 1999, 09:39 AM

Well... In my case the problem is with Eudora 4.2. I have about 35Mb's of data I needed to import. About 1,5 hour later it crashed and when I restarted I had an error on my HD that Disk First Aid could not repair.

Majot bummer (good thing there's alternatives . Now, I would say it was not directly related. But still... It's very seldom I crash and have any minor HD problems. And this was a biggie...

Now if I only dare try again I could find out for sure =)

Glenn Brown
Oct 21, 1999, 10:38 AM

I disabled all but the essential extensions, assigned 100MB each to Emailer and OE (I have 256MB), opened Emailer (otherwise it would crash when launched in the background), then started the import process, which I ran overnight. After several problems importing, this worked for me; although I still needed to some cleanup after.

------------------

Bill Davies
Oct 21, 1999, 03:50 PM

I was unable to get OE5 to import anything from my Emailer 2.0v3. My Emailer mail database is about 79mb. I gave OE5 80mbs and ran the little import wizard thing. It ran for less than 2 minutes and then the computer stopped responding.

Contrast this to OE4.5, which actually imported about 50% of my mail and said it was successful, even though 50% is not successful in my book.

But OE 4.5 would at least try to import, and I'm not seeing that OE 5 is even starting the process.

Bill

macupdate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 1999, 04:25 PM

I allocated 270MB of RAM into Outlook Express 5.0, and was only able to import about 5 of my Claris Emailer 5.0v3 folders containing my email archive (which is hundreds of megabytes) It took about 2-3 hours on my G3/350MHz machine.

Joel Mueller http://www.macupdate.com/

Skua
Oct 21, 1999, 04:56 PM

Hi All,

Keep in mind that Em@iler does not delete mesages from the mail file. to remove the deleted messages, do rebuild of your mail file (hold down the option key at startup). the resulting file should be smaller, have fewer messages, and you will have a better chance of importing.

Bartman
Oct 22, 1999, 02:23 AM

Hi,
I had problems with importing messages from Emailer 2.0v3. I did manage to import all messages, here is how I did it: First thing, open the folder where Emailer resides, look for a folder called "Mail". Duplicate this folder and keep a coy in a safe place. Now, launch OE 5 and start importing. At somepoint it will stop/crash. Relaunch OE 5 and see where it stopped importing. Goto emailer and delete all the messages that have been imported by OE5. Repeat the procedure of importing and deleting untill you get all your mail into OE 5. I found this way helpful with systems which have less RAM. DON'T forget to replace the "Mail" folder with the one you duplicated so you can have all your Emailer messages back.
Hope this works with all of you !
Once you put your hand in the flame you can never be the same, there's a certain satisfaction in a little bit of pain.

Bill Davies
Oct 22, 1999, 02:47 PM

FYI - I had already rebuilt my Emailer database before trying the import.

What's the deal with having Emailer running? Is OE 5 supposed to launch Emailer as part of the import process? Nothing launched on my iMac when I did it, but I'm open to suggestion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules