Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help, can't boot powerbook!!!

Help, can't boot powerbook!!!
pelai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 04:49 PM

hi,
I bought a used Powerbook 1ghz 17" from an appletechnician and recieved it today. I started it for a couple of times noticing nothing wrong. Then I put in a cd and imported the songs to ITunes, when it was done I tried to eject the cd but the screen froze. Could not force quit any apps and after I turned the PB off it is impossible to restart, I get to the point where the apple appears and it continues so forever. tried force ejecting in open firmware, resetting pram + starting it holding the shift-button but nothing seems to work.
i'm no macexpert so if you have any suggestions of what might be wrong and what I can do pleeeeeze help me. I am on the brink of despair!!!Is there anyway to eject the cd?
I checked the RAM (two identical sticks 512mb) and they are marked module mem for powerbook: MDT SODIMM 512MB PC333
All I know about the superdrive is that it is a Matshita and that it has been changed.
I tried booting it in targetmode into my old ibook and it worked.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 8, 2006, 05:32 PM

Restart while holding down the trackpad button to eject the disc.

And please read our rules (linked from every thread listing) regarding thread titles.

tooki

pelai  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 05:49 PM

Thanx Tooki, but didn't work either....
do you know if there is a reset button somewhere? heard about resetting PMU, and nvram ? how do you do that?

sorry about the title...better next time

Forum Links
Forum Rules