Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > help convert me to apple

help convert me to apple
wuhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2004, 07:26 PM

Hello,

I grew up on the mac plus etc, but been a pc user since 95. I'm in finance and use pc's extensively esp. with excel and access.

I currently have a desktop and an old thinkpad 600 266 i just use for web browsing.

I have 3 choices.

1. pay $1650 (discounted) for a new thinkpad t42 1.7ghz, 40gb, 256mb, wireless b/g, cdrw-dvd rom higher res 14in screen.

2. pay $1499 (discounted) for 12in powerbook 1.33ghz, 60gb, 256mb, dvd-r

3. pay $899 for ibook 1.0ghz, 30gb hd, cdrw etc.

Anyway I think for 85% of the time switching to apple is fine. I don't work on spreadsheets for work at home that much. mostly im, internet, all that stuff. but am concerned about certain apps that don't have pc compatibility.

For example intellisync with yahoo, or like trillian, or certain other smaller software.

Also if i end up getting a mac, do i really need the powerbook since i know i wont' be using the dvdr much, and is .33 ghz necessary? hard drive is not an issue either since i don't have a big media collection etc.

Let me know your thoughts. thanks

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 07:32 PM

then get the ibook and stuff it with RAM

adium is like trillan for OS X

i'm sure if you look hard enough you will find that the Mac has little software too you can use. take the plunge!
iamwhor3hay

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2004, 07:46 PM

Start with the iBook, since it's cheaper and should meet your needs just fine. Then, in a year or two, you'll like it enough to want to upgrade to a Powerbook.

Oh, and don't worry about too many apps being incompatible. Office documents (.doc, .xls, .ppt, etc), Photoshop, AIM, and all that will work absolutely perfectly. If you have any concerns about specific apps or file types, ask around, otherwise don't worry too much about it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2004, 07:59 PM

Warning: No version of Access exists for the Mac OS. If you rely on these files, you may have trouble. Virtual PC may be a viable solution, but its resource hungry and not terribly fast.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 08:55 PM

If you're looking for specific-purpose software, try searching these sites:

http://www.macupdate.com

http://www.versiontracker.com

They might be a good basis for you to be able to ask more specific questions or gather others' opinions, over in the software forum.

Come on in, the water's fine.

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules