Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My Tiger DVD was part of a "bad batch" what would you do if you were me?

My Tiger DVD was part of a "bad batch" what would you do if you were me?
Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 10:08 AM

Okay, here's my story. I preordered the 12th, like all the other fanboys.

I rush home last friday, back up all my stuff. Pop in my new Tiger DVD, use disk utility and format my drive. I then proceed to do an erase and install, and the install chokes. And chokes again, and chokes again, and again.

I called in applecare, and they said that my dvd was part of a "bad batch." Worst thing is, is that they cant give me a date to send me a replacement DVD, since theyre so short now. So "sometime" I should be getting a replacement DVD in the mail.

I asked the guy on the phone if I could get ilife05 or iwork for free, since me receiving my working copy of Tiger is on hold for who knows how long, and he said no.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 10:43 AM

If I were you...

I'd take my bad DVD to the nearest Apple Store and see if the folks there will burn you a backup from one of their good Tiger DVDs. Bring your DVD and printouts of your Order confirmations from the Web store and identification. I'd offer to pay for the blank DVD-R media if they seem the least bit unwilling.

The reason they ought to be accommodating is that you can prove that you've licensed the software itself from them, and the delay in getting you a replacement has to do with physical inventory... a situation that they can temporarily ameliorate by providing you with a burned copy. This won't negatively impact any stock that the local store has on hand... while still satisfying an Apple Store (albeit web store) customer.

This is especially warrented because your system is down with a "partial" installation... and presumably out of commission until they can provide you with a good disc.

If they are unwilling to do this, at an Apple Store where they have all the components needed to satisfy you ( namely: systems with superdrives, blank DVD-R's, and Tiger Install DVDs), you really do have reason to throw a fit and make a scene!

This all presupposes that you're within reasonable distance from an Apple Store.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2005, 11:14 AM

It is unlikely that the Apple Store will give you a burned Tiger disk. However, if you bring in your computer and the paperwork which eggman mentioned, they may be willing to install Tiger on it for you. This is obviously not an ideal solution, since you will still be without install discs until the replacement shows up, but at least you will have a working machine again before that happens.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Garage81  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 01:29 PM

good ideas, might try to make a trip down there. i just want a copy of ilife05 for free

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

Forum Links
Forum Rules