Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GabrielMorales.net Updated!

GabrielMorales.net Updated!
Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 08:48 PM

I have made a major update to my website. There's updated content, and most significantly, a new blog section, called Gabriel's Notebook. Check it out!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 09:47 PM

I forsee this as a "check out my web site" whoring thread.

(mouseover sig)

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2005, 10:04 PM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 10:12 PM

I LOL'd
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 03:15 AM

I knew I would get smart alek comments from childish MacNN posters who haven't anything to show for themselves, but you still check and look at my site, so my purpose in posting this message is fulfilled. Have a ball! Thank you!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 07:47 AM

I didn't look at it, sorry. I post my "childish" pic any time someone asks everyone to "check out their web site." Oh, and I have 8 to 15 thousand unique visits to my site everyday to show for myself, since you brought it up.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 08:12 AM

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 08:30 AM

Whoa. That looks like my first Geocities-webpage back in 1995. Talk about flashback.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 08:51 AM

^

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 09:27 AM

OLD SCHOOL

props to the man with the flashback design skillz. talented you are!

brapper
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 12:01 PM

yeah, it definitely looks 1995.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 12:55 PM

The dude made a very impressive website that he should be proud of. I remember when I made my first website, I couldn't stop looking at it because I was so proud that *I* did this.

Good on this guy, I'm sure his future websites will be even better and have even more heart than it does now.

[WDLOVE DID NOT STEAL MY PASSWORD... APU WROTE THIS POST!!!!]

BlueSky
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 01:17 PM

Nice job Gabriel. Thanks for sharing.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
May 22, 2005, 03:39 PM

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 06:20 PM

You guys don't change. I got the same type of response when I posted an update notice two years ago here. At least last time, I got told it was very 1996, even though the design now is more refined. Apparently I regressed a year. And now I'm also getting some ignorant remarks of very bad taste, about my culture.

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
What is so funny about my About info? What is there so funny about my being Cuban? Oh, and yeah, a child with a military weapon pointed at his head is really funny, hilarious in fact.

Captain Obvious, true to your pseudo-namesake, your ignorance is quite obvious.

About the "retro look":

I happen to like space themes, I like orange/green on black, and I love classic arcade games-- the game play as well as the look and feel to them. If my likes show through on my web site, then fine.

But to say that my site looks like your "first Geocities-webpage back in 1995", or likewise, I find a little insulting, unless you're a pro graphics designer an made a great website design back then.

By the same token, you can say that the Matrix is so 1983, because of the green text on black, and text based interface, and yet people don't put it down, because regardless of when the style first came out or became popular, because it's a nice style/design and people like it.

So, if you think my site is "retro" or whatnot, that's fine. But, it's not cool to put down someone's work, because you think it's funny.

To those of you who have actually been civil and said nice things, I appreciate it.
( Last edited by Gamoe; May 22, 2005 at 10:37 PM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 06:26 PM

Hey I am a pro graphics designer. I just say I started out with a design that was almost exactly like yours. Green text and all. So my comment was neither insulting or meant to be funny. It was just exactly what I wrote there. No more. No less.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 10:39 PM

oh leave him alone. regardless of the scheme- i couldn't do it. i have my strong suits, but web is not one. apparently gabriel has more talent than i do in that department, as a print designer, i'd be better, i suspect. at any rate- gabe's site actually has "stuff" not just a frontpage and a blog. besides- retro is in.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 07:21 AM

kerivit is right actually...

i know some webdesign and i can't program server side scripting for SHYT!

so this dude is very talented, he just needs to brush up on his weak points and he'll be all right by his next site.

budster101
Baninated
May 23, 2005, 09:43 AM

Galaxian was and is still my favorite game... what's the big deal?
So sensitive...

What did you want? Where you fishing for compliments? I mean, the sight is blah at best, and very very amateurish, but if that is what you were shooting for then you nailed it. Nostalgic? Sorry, but in that area you fell quite short of the goal. It's just not snappy enough for me.

Do I owe anyone money for using the word snappy?

Weak Points:

- Typography
- Color management
- Layout
- Graphics

I think that covers it.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
What did you want? Where you fishing for compliments?
No, but I wasn't fishing for put-downs either.

I mean, the sight is blah at best, and very very amateurish, but if that is what you were shooting for then you nailed it.
You know, I could make one of those plain white vanilla sites a lot of people like making today, but I'm sorry, it's just not me. I like color, on black, I like cosmic backgrounds.

My site is not "blah"-- I think it has a far more interesting look than many of today's sites out there. I understand cnn.com having a more "plain" look, just like I understand why corporate offices are more "plain" looking, but my house, my room, my site? No, I like color.

In addition, and most importantly, my site has content. My site is not amateurish. To say that something is amateurish implies a lack of refinement and control over the work. Contrary to this, though, my site has exactly the look I want it to have.

Nostalgic? Sorry, but in that area you fell quite short of the goal. It's just not snappy enough for me.
Like I said, I wasn't going for any particular "nostalgic" look. It's my own style.

Weak Points:

- Typography
- Color management
- Layout
- Graphics
Typography: Normally I do not define fonts. So, yes, I suppose I could I could improve in this.

Color management: Again, I like the color scheme.

Layout: I like the layout. It is simple and uncomplicated. I suppose I could work on making it look more alike in different browsers, though.

Graphics: I like the graphics. I designed all the graphics myself, and I spent much time trying to get the look I wanted.

You know, I can understand you saying I should have more efficient code, etc. But, what you are putting down is my art, my own personal style. You can say you prefer a different style, but to say that it is amateurish or blah is clearly offensive.

Suit yourself. I can't make anyone like or even respect my work. I like my site, I like my design, and layout. If you don't like it, fine. But the least you could do is make non-offensive, constructive comments. Yes, you can point out this or that, but in a respectful, mindful manner.

Thank you, Apple Pro Underwear, Bluesky and KeriVit for your support. You see, unlike yourself, some people know how to be appreciative and constructive.

budster101
Baninated
May 23, 2005, 12:54 PM

Your colors are OFF.
Your typography is horrid.
The background is the best thing on the site, but it's not even sharp enough...

Offensive? I'm being honest for christ's sake. I want to see you improve on the areas I suggested. You have content, which is lacking in many sites but I'm not going to sugar coat this.

They ("non-offensive") ones were just sooo nice to you.

BRB.

Back.
Edit:

Your backend work is first rate.
Tighten up everything, and reduce the size of your fonts a tad.
Your site looks best in Firefox, which is probably because you designed for it.
Explorer and Safari look about the same.
( Last edited by budster101; May 23, 2005 at 01:02 PM. )

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2005, 01:08 PM

I think effgee has a single tear rolling down his cheek.

Seriously, reading text on patterned backgrounds is not pleasant. Also, patterned backgrounds can be fine if it isn't so obviously patterned. The site becomes very tedious when the same star backgrounds, or lines, or one of the other patterns you have throughout your site, are simple square tiles.

Sorry, the patterns are too much.

budster101
Baninated
May 23, 2005, 01:27 PM

Meanie.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Your backend work is first rate.
Thank you-- You see, you CAN find nice things to say about my site!

Your site looks best in Firefox, which is probably because you designed for it.
Explorer and Safari look about the same.
Funny, I actually tried to compromise between Safari and Firefox, and I think it looks better on Safari.

Originally Posted by Xeo
Seriously, reading text on patterned backgrounds is not pleasant. Also, patterned backgrounds can be fine if it isn't so obviously patterned. The site becomes very tedious when the same star backgrounds, or lines, or one of the other patterns you have throughout your site, are simple square tiles.
I can understand that. But, really there are only two pages with the space background. Neat 'Net Links has another background, but I think its more subtle and less distracting.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 09:36 AM

My biggest gripe, other than the illegibility and inconsistent design that frankly gets in the way of the actual content is the total and utter lack of any consitant menu/navigation system.

For example: I, the user click on Notebook (which is like a breath of fresh air), and now what, how I do access other parts of the site? Back? What if I opened it in another tab or even bookmarked it (it could happen!).

Why do you insist on hiding the menu on the bottom?

Is the point of this site to frustrate the user and waste as much of his time as possible? The very least you could do is make the big GabrielMorales logo clickable, toaking the user home.

The bottom line with the backrgounds is, if it's got ANY kind of pattern it renders text either illegible or headache inducing. The latter being my experience trying to read from your site.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
My biggest gripe, other than the illegibility and inconsistent design that frankly gets in the way of the actual content is the total and utter lack of any consitant menu/navigation system.

For example: I, the user click on Notebook (which is like a breath of fresh air), and now what, how I do access other parts of the site? Back? What if I opened it in another tab or even bookmarked it (it could happen!).

Why do you insist on hiding the menu on the bottom?
Menu items are traditionally placed at the top, bottom or sides of the page. I have taken care to place an identical menu at the bottom of every page, even including the currrent page, as not to throw off the reader. The Notebook is the only one which is different, because of its layout.

In addition, a lot of the pages (on the Neat 'Net Links, for example) are rather short, making the whole page, with the bottom links initially visible (at least at 1280X960 resolution).

paul w
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Menu items are traditionally placed at the top, bottom or sides of the page. I have taken care to place an identical menu at the bottom of every page, even including the currrent page, as not to throw off the reader. The Notebook is the only one which is different, because of its layout.
You forgot the front page-that counts as a page too. And menu items can be put in sorts of creative places- but changing them around on us users ain't exactly making life easy on us. And making us scroll through lots of text just to get to it ain't very nice either.

The thing that good sites tend to do is figure out where the menu goes and not to mess with it and the users too much. That often involves actually planning the site out as a whole, structure wise and sticking with it. Life becomes easier. Maybe just a couple templates, a style sheet or two and Bob's your Uncle.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 02:46 PM

Yup. That's exactly what I did. I created a blank page template that had the entire layout set up, but no text in the body. Then I figured out which sections needed submenus and created templates of those accordingly.

The rest was easy. Simple cut-and-paste of content into the body. Even the iBlog templates were easy once I had the site layout down.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 02:47 PM

Holy christ that is brutal.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
You forgot the front page-that counts as a page too. And menu items can be put in sorts of creative places- but changing them around on us users ain't exactly making life easy on us. And making us scroll through lots of text just to get to it ain't very nice either.
But the menu is the central focus of the front page. It cannot be missed. I understand what you're saying about the menu items being on the bottom, I just didn't think that hitting the "end" key was such a big deal. When I don't find menu's atop, I always check the bottom and sides.

The thing that good sites tend to do is figure out where the menu goes and not to mess with it and the users too much. That often involves actually planning the site out as a whole, structure wise and sticking with it. Life becomes easier. Maybe just a couple templates, a style sheet or two and Bob's your Uncle.
Every menu item is it's own mini-website, with its own style, which is consistent within them. But even then, except for the front page (which is usually an exception on most sites), and the Notebook (which necessitates that the links be on the side), the menus are consistent. There is always a link on every page that will take you Home or to any of the other sections, which the exception of the site's sub-pages, which let you go back to the mini-site's main page.

What would you have me do? I don't like to put links on the side normally, because that makes the page unnecessarily wider. The Notebook is ok, because the side holds a lot of useful info, but it wouldn't on any of the other sections. The only problem with placing links atop is that it would interfere with the category links in the Neat 'Net Links.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Yup. That's exactly what I did. I created a blank page template that had the entire layout set up, but no text in the body. Then I figured out which sections needed submenus and created templates of those accordingly.

The rest was easy. Simple cut-and-paste of content into the body. Even the iBlog templates were easy once I had the site layout down.
This is also what I did. However, you can do even better with CSS.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 03:03 PM

How to improve your site in one simple step: Apply a plainer background behind the text. Just by separating the text from the busy background would vastly improve the look and readability of it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2005, 03:48 PM

<- baby jesus

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

Forum Links
Forum Rules